Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
28 March, 2024, 08:38:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Classic??  (Read 9359 times)
dlyris
Lapsed

« on: 22 February, 2010, 08:05:43 PM »

Hi,

I had read some years ago in a magazine that the Y10 Turbo and the renault 5 Alpine had become classics. It is some years back and I do not remember which magazine it was or if it were a rumor, but I am wondering if any of you know if this is the case, that it to say that the Y 10 turbo has become a classic. The article mentioned only the Y 10 turbo and not the rest of the Y 10 models. I would appreciate if any of you have some facts and could confirm that the Y 10 tubo has become a classic.

Thank you.

Best regards

Dimitris Lyris
Lancia Y10 Turbo 87
fensaddler
Lapsed
Permanent resident

« Reply #1 on: 22 February, 2010, 11:25:10 PM »

Classic status is purely a matter of opinion - almost any definition (age, value, rarity, controlled list etc) is contentious.  If someone has said in the press that the Y10 Turbo is a classic, I'd be inclined to agree - but its all merely opinion.  I think my Delta is a classic, and I'm treating it as such - there will be those who will disagree (and who will sleep with the fishes... Cool )...

Chris Owen
1987 Delta 1.3LX
2012 Skoda Yeti 112TSi 4WD
dlyris
Lapsed

« Reply #2 on: 23 February, 2010, 08:38:49 AM »

Hi, I actually mean if there are any official papers declaring the car as a classic. The reason I am asking is because I am currently in an dissagreement situation with an insurance company in Sweden where this model (turbo) was never imported.

Best regards

Dimitris Lyris
Lancia Y10 Turbo 87
fensaddler
Lapsed
Permanent resident

« Reply #3 on: 23 February, 2010, 09:57:36 AM »

So far as I understand, there is no equivalent process in the UK.  If you tell your insurance company you want a classic car policy over here, you get one - there isn't an approved list.  How does the Swedish process work?  How is a car officially accepted as 'classic'?

Chris Owen
1987 Delta 1.3LX
stuwilson128
Non-LMC Seller
Rebel Poster

« Reply #4 on: 23 February, 2010, 10:32:30 AM »

In the UK, insurance companies recognise cars as classic depending upon its age.  Footman James, who run the LMC policy, told me that Lancias are considered classic when they are 15 years or older, irrespective of model.

Stuart Wilson 11175
1973 Fulvia Coupe 1.3
2000 Lybra SW 2.4JTd
2009 Delta 1.9 Twin Turbo
dlyris
Lapsed

« Reply #5 on: 23 February, 2010, 11:37:14 AM »

Hi, the problem is not to ask for a "classic" insurance policy. The problem is that a truck ran into my car and they will pay for the damage. This includes a boot door complete with the glass, the front bumper which is very difficult to find for the turbo and the left front head light, which is also difficult to find. The repair cost with out the spare parts is estimated to cost around 1200 Euro. The spare parts including the postage fees will be around 400 Euro. If the insurance company considers that the cost is too high regarding the age of the car (23 years old) then they have the right not to pay the whole ammount but an ammount that they consider worth while for a 23 year old car, unless I can prove that this is a classic worth keeping on the road etc. 

Best regards

Dimitris Lyris
Lancia Y10 Turbo 87
fay66
Permanent resident

« Reply #6 on: 23 February, 2010, 04:27:52 PM »

Hi, the problem is not to ask for a "classic" insurance policy. The problem is that a truck ran into my car and they will pay for the damage. This includes a boot door complete with the glass, the front bumper which is very difficult to find for the turbo and the left front head light, which is also difficult to find. The repair cost with out the spare parts is estimated to cost around 1200 Euro. The spare parts including the postage fees will be around 400 Euro. If the insurance company considers that the cost is too high regarding the age of the car (23 years old) then they have the right not to pay the whole ammount but an ammount that they consider worth while for a 23 year old car, unless I can prove that this is a classic worth keeping on the road etc. 

Here we have an "Agreed Value" which means you should (although that might not always be the case) get back the agreed value irrespective of the age of the car, normally we have to send photos about every 4 years showing the condition of the car, and in between we sometimes have to sign a declaration regarding the value; initially if it's value is over a certain amount you also have to get a valuation from the Club.
If you don't have an agreed value policy as in your case, the insurers would probably write the car off as uneconomical to repair and wouldn't give you the opportunity to accept a reduced value, and they would only pay what they consider to be it's current market value less your excess.

Briab
8227 Cool

Own 1966 Fulvia 2C Berlina since 1997, back on road 11-1999.Known as "Fay"
2006 Renault Megane 1 5 Dci Sports Tourer
Dedra Technical Adviser
Joanna
« Reply #7 on: 23 February, 2010, 07:20:37 PM »

You cant just ask for a classic policy and get it , otherwise people would do that for 2007 Ferraris and pay pennies for insurance.  I tried with my 1998 Ypslion and got told it need to be at least 15 years old to even qualify.
fay66
Permanent resident

« Reply #8 on: 23 February, 2010, 07:36:36 PM »

You cant just ask for a classic policy and get it , otherwise people would do that for 2007 Ferraris and pay pennies for insurance.  I tried with my 1998 Ypslion and got told it need to be at least 15 years old to even qualify.

As already pointed out it's age related, but F&J quoted me more for my 1990 Mercedes 300se, than for an everyday car policy, where's the common sense in that?

Brian
8227 Cool

Dedra Technical Adviser
fensaddler
Lapsed
Permanent resident

« Reply #9 on: 23 February, 2010, 09:52:54 PM »

I think it varies from company to company - but you're right, they all have rules - just different ones...

Chris Owen
1987 Delta 1.3LX
fensaddler
Lapsed
Permanent resident

« Reply #10 on: 23 February, 2010, 09:54:20 PM »

Just thinking further - would a letter from the club indicating that we view a Y10 Turbo as a classic (perhaps with reasons?) help you out any?

Chris Owen
1987 Delta 1.3LX
Joanna
« Reply #11 on: 23 February, 2010, 10:57:29 PM »

Talk about sense, I had a phone call from More Than, the other day.  I wasnt sure when my insurance was renewing so for the sake of 5 mins on the phone I got a quote.  £550  Grin Grin Grin Grin Cheesy

I laughed so much I nearly wet myself.  I told him I was paying less than £300 for my merc and less than £300 for my integrale.  He saw the funny side as well and said he loved grales and was very jealous. The thing is I am now 41 and no accidents or claims since I was 21 and then I just reversed into a parked car, (who had just parked in my blind spot, I must add)

Insurance companies, dont u just love them.
dlyris
Lapsed

« Reply #12 on: 24 February, 2010, 10:03:20 AM »

Here we have an "Agreed Value" which means you should (although that might not always be the case) get back the agreed value irrespective of the age of the car, normally we have to send photos about every 4 years showing the condition of the car, and in between we sometimes have to sign a declaration regarding the value; initially if it's value is over a certain amount you also have to get a valuation from the Club.
If you don't have an agreed value policy as in your case, the insurers would probably write the car off as uneconomical to repair and wouldn't give you the opportunity to accept a reduced value, and they would only pay what they consider to be it's current market value less your excess.

Hi, the thing is that I am not asking for a classic insurance policy. I am trying to get the car fixed after a crash that was not my fault. My Y10 has no rust and it is in a very good condition seeing that I had spent 1500 Euros some years ago and changed the doors, boot and fixed all rusty parts plus a re-paint.

Briab
8227 Cool

Best regards

Dimitris Lyris
Lancia Y10 Turbo 87
fay66
Permanent resident

« Reply #13 on: 24 February, 2010, 11:56:11 AM »

Unless it's on a Classic Policy here you cannot get an agreed value,which is the only way to get anything back near the true value of your Y10,  irrespective of the pre accident condition, or the money you have previously spent on it, no matter how much, all you would get paid in the UK is the current market value, which on a Y10 would be as near nothing as makes any difference, you certainly wouldn't get enough to buy a Y10 in the same condition as yours, even if one was available.

My Mercedes isn't worth a lot of money but I still insure as comprehensive , I did, for one year only insure it third party fire and theft, which was a big mistake.
I had the petrol filler flap forced open late at night by thieves, who only got away with about 10 litres of fuel, in the process of breaking in they caused £1000 worth of damages (Mercedes Dealer Estimate, although probably a lot cheaper elsewhere) to repair.
But as it was only covered for 3rd party fire and theft the insurance company wouldn't pay, saying that the car itself had to be taken away for it to be classed as theft, otherwise they put it down to vandalism which isn't covered.

Unless in Sweden the insurers work different to here, I think you are onto a loser, and the best you can do is take the money, and ask to buy the car back at a nominal cost, and get it repaired yourself.
You could try finding one anywhere else on sale for the sort of money yours is worth, which I think is unlikely.
Is there anyway in Sweden you can claim for uninsured losses? that might be a possibility.

Brian
8227 Cool
« Last Edit: 24 February, 2010, 12:04:55 PM by fay66 » Logged

Dedra Technical Adviser
dlyris
Lapsed

« Reply #14 on: 24 February, 2010, 12:20:52 PM »

Hi Brian, I do not know. Right now the repair shop (Alfa Romeo with classic cars experience) is sending an estimate to the insurance company. They have also asked me to send them some information about market prices of the Y10 turbo, so I found some adds from the internet where Y10 turbos are sold between 2500 and 4000 Euros. The parts have been purchased and including the shipment the cost is 480 Euros. The repair shop is quite experienced in dealing with insurance companies and they are also good friends of mine seeing that I service all my cars there (Spider 916, 156 Sportwagon V6). I just have to wait and see what happens.

Best regards

Dimitris Lyris
Lancia Y10 Turbo 87
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd