Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
28 March, 2024, 06:40:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: new Lancia....new Chrysler......  (Read 4758 times)
toby2449
« on: 06 November, 2009, 01:27:44 PM »

well Merchonnie has spelt out his plans for Chrysler LLC & it makes very interesting reading for our beloved Lancia....3 new cars were signed off yesterday for production....

The replacement for Thesis will be based on the new 300c, apparently FGA aren't at all impressed with the new 300c, so they will try to inject a bit of quality into the product but obviously the project is so far gone that they can't really do as much as they want. Thesis will not compete against the BMW's, Merc's of this world, but instead against Volvo's S80, Lexus GS etc... (which might mean it'll be cheaper than the outgoing model?)
Lancia target 15000 sales/year.

Next up is a sub Delta compact saloon based on FGA's new c-segment platform that underpins the new Milano. Expect to see it 2012, engines to due be FGA's quite magnificent 1.4 Multiair, & 1.6 and 2 liter multihet diesels

The last new car signed off yesterday will be a replacement for Phedra, due to market in 2011, this will share its platform with the revised Town & Country

Most important new car is new Ypsilon, due 2011, it'll be a 5 door, based on the new 500 Giardiniera platform, engines at launch will be a 900cc, 1.4 Multiair & 1.3 Multijet diesel. This will be sold in the US as Chryslers new b segment car
lee69
« Reply #1 on: 06 November, 2009, 03:55:47 PM »

And now that Fiat have cancelled Magna's contract to build Chrysler's in Austria, the new Thesis replacement/300C will be built in Turin in the old Bertone plant.

I'm assuming that the sub Delta model is the oft mentioned "Deltina'.

An interesting turn of events, with Lancia and Chrysler being married up within FGA and Alfa with Dodge. Chrysler and Dodge won't be sold outside of North America, with just the Jeep brand carrying on for export. I wonder what will happen to the existing Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep franchises in the UK. Will we see Lancia and Jeep together under the same roof (an interesting combination) and will Merc/smart sell Lancias in their showrooms, which is where most Chrysler outlets are located.
toby2449
« Reply #2 on: 06 November, 2009, 04:38:27 PM »

Makes you wonder what Magna are going to do now they have no Opel!

i'd assume dealers who have Chrysler LLC brands also have other brands too as surely they couldn't last on such tiny numbers? I'd like to see Lancia back in RHD, but sharing space in Merc/Smart dealership, i very much doubt it, i reckon if FGA/Chrysler insisted their dealers take on Lancia, then Merc would pull the franchise from the dealer....
ncundy
Lapsed
Rebel Poster

« Reply #3 on: 06 November, 2009, 05:46:54 PM »

I imagine Magna are in a bit of a bind at the moment. When they "won" the battle for Opel they lost several high value contracts as because they were now a direct competitor for some of their customers it triggered get out clauses in the contacts. I read they lost significant contracts with VW as well as FIAT.

I agree with you Toby on Merc allowing Lancia to be sold on their plot.

1969 Fanalone, Mazda RX-8, Fiat Multipla
toby2449
« Reply #4 on: 06 November, 2009, 08:17:06 PM »

i worked for a Toyota dealership who have two dealers, one sells toyota/lexus, the other toyota & Merc, Merc  would under no circumstances allow them to have any Lexus model within the dealership, they were warned that if they did then Merc would pull the franchise!

all of this though makes me wonder of we'll ever see RHD Lancia?? If FGA do pull Chrysler from all markets bar North/South America & Canada then all Lancia & Chrysler will be built for LHD markets only, what chance a return then? Whilst the tie up might be a good move to save Lancia, i think the chances of their new cars gracing the roads through offical dealers throughout UK or Ireland are extremely slim now.
lee69
« Reply #5 on: 07 November, 2009, 03:08:23 PM »

I was talking with the dealer that looks after my smart this morning - they're a Merc, Chrysler/Jeep/Dodge and smart franchise, a hangover from the Daimler-Chrysler era. All of their regional outlets are multi-brand. The consensus amongst their staff is that Lancia would complement their existing brand line-up and that if the new Lancias are developed alongside the American Chryslers and share their DNA, there could be demand from existing customers - by all accounts as brand loyal as their Merc and smart buyers. The biggest conflict they see will be the European-developed Lancias such as the Ypsilon and Delta that clash directly with existing, smaller Mercs.

They're still unsure as to what Daimler Benz's actions will be, and what restrictions they place on their dealers. I suppose that they could just sell Jeep. although I imagine that Fiat would love them in their showrooms.
lee69
« Reply #6 on: 06 December, 2009, 09:20:34 AM »

It's not looking good again: www.italiaspeed.com/2009/cars/lancia/12/future/0612.html
fay66
Permanent resident

« Reply #7 on: 06 December, 2009, 10:13:11 AM »

A Non Lancia friend reckons that he's just read that Lancia are going back into the USA rather than Alfa, I've asked him the source?

Brian
8227 Cool

Own 1966 Fulvia 2C Berlina since 1997, back on road 11-1999.Known as "Fay"
2006 Renault Megane 1 5 Dci Sports Tourer
Dedra Technical Adviser
lee69
« Reply #8 on: 06 December, 2009, 03:09:06 PM »

Not sure about that Brian, other than Italian built Ypsi and Delta models being sold as Chryslers in the US. If this latest Italiaspeed article turns out to be correct, it looks like most markets will see a combined Chrysler and Lancia range, badged solely as Chryslers. Is the Chrysler brand really held in higher regard than our beloved marque?  There's an interesting discussion on the whole US car industry and, consequently, the role of FIAT, Alfa and Lancia on flickr, it's interesting to see the point of view from the other side of the Atlantic:

http://www.flickr.com/groups/car_memories_guesses/discuss/72157609469809117/
toby2449
« Reply #9 on: 06 December, 2009, 06:13:25 PM »

i wish Fiat would just get on with it & decide lancia's future, i'm sick of practically every month hearing how Lancia will be killed off, its no good for the brand, people won't continue to buy cars from a brand thats constantly under treath.

In the presentation earlier this year, Merchoinne stated Chrysler would be pulled from all markets bar USA, & now we have to put up with suggestions that the Chrysler nameplate would just be slapped on Lancia's, really!!!!!!! Chrysler to europeans means nothing, ok so lets be honest lancia isn't the strongest brand in Europe but it has a loyal following (even in markets where it isn't sold anymore!!).

Merchoinne seems to have lost his way recently, firstly openly doubting the direction Alfa is going days before they launched the new Giulietta was lauched & now this> It won't mean anything to FGA, but if they pull Lancia i'll be selling my shares
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd