Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
28 March, 2024, 05:33:26 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Longstone Tyres - Pirelli Cinturato available again 2016  (Read 6584 times)
stuwilson128
Non-LMC Seller
Rebel Poster

« on: 10 November, 2009, 09:53:00 PM »

The following is from Longstone Tyres, which maybe of use to members (possibly more for Aurelia)!

Pirelli won their first motor sport event when Prince Borghese Itala won the Peking - Paris race one hundred years ago. Recently the celebrated Pirelli Cinturato tyre for 50's and 60's cars is made available through Longstone tyres.

The Pirelli Cinturato, first introduced in the 1950's, was the first example of a textile cord braced radial tyre. The Pirelli Cinturato quickly became the dominant radial tyre in European GT and sports car racing circles.

The Pirelli Cinturato combined unprecedented grip with high-speed capabilities, the Cinturato also gave a supremely comfortable ride. Not surprisingly, the Pirelli Cinturato soon became standard equipment on many of the great Italian marques of the era, including Ferrari, Maserati, and Lamborghini.

One of the first radial tyre sizes developed by Michelin was the 165R400 tyre that was fitted to the Citroen Traction Avante and Lancia Aurelia. Because of the improvement driving on radial tyres made to the road holding of a car (not to mention the longevity of the tyre) wheel builders such as Ruote Borrani Milano made alternative 400mm wheels as aftermarket improvements for cars such as Ferrari 250, Aston Martin DB2 and Osca, to give them the opportunity to fit  the new radial tyres.

In the 50’s and 60’s Lancia built their cars fitted with 400mm wheels and fitted the 165R400 Pirelli Cinturato. So Lancia fitted the 165HR400 to their later Aurelia and today this is the best tyre you can fit to the Flaminia. Today Pirelli are the only company that make a suitable H speed rated tyre that is designed for use on sports cars.

We offer discounts to Lancia club members.

For more information, please contact:

dougal@longstonetyres.co.uk
http://www.longstonetyres.co.uk
t: 01302 711 123
f: 01302 710 113

Doncaster Road
BAWTRY
Doncaster
South Yorkshire
DN10 6NX
UK

« Last Edit: 12 January, 2016, 08:18:58 PM by Parisien » Logged

Stuart Wilson 11175
1973 Fulvia Coupe 1.3
2000 Lybra SW 2.4JTd
2009 Delta 1.9 Twin Turbo
Parisien
Administrator
Permanent resident

« Reply #1 on: 25 November, 2011, 10:37:22 PM »

Just trawling the chat section, to get a feel for the pulse of the LMC.......anyone know do the above mentioned still offer a discount to LMC members if, so how much?

P

Frank Gallagher
Parisien
Administrator
Permanent resident

« Reply #2 on: 12 January, 2016, 05:53:42 PM »

http://www.lancisti.net/forum/showthread.php?8791-165HR400-Pirelli-Cinturato-availability

https://youtu.be/invI0qdvPsI

This appears to be only 6 secs long?!?!??!?!?

Some useful info and video from Lancisti forum about Longstone tyres!

P
« Last Edit: 12 January, 2016, 05:56:34 PM by Parisien » Logged

Frank Gallagher
westernlancia
Lapsed

Appia S1 - 2006 Turin centenary Car of the Century

« Reply #3 on: 14 January, 2016, 08:54:05 AM »

Just trawling the chat section, to get a feel for the pulse of the LMC.......anyone know do the above mentioned still offer a discount to LMC members if, so how much?

Not too sure about the LMC's pulse either! The posts always seem rather widely-spaced. I blame Facebook myself...

Longstone tyres are fine though, and Dougal is a really nice bloke. He publishes somewhat saucy ads in French (and English) magazines, and recently sent me some posters of them (which will duly be hung in the shed, because if my Good Lady found out about them I would be hanged in the shed alongside them).

There is a very droll one in the French mags that features a lady in 20s clothes squeezing another similarly-attired lady's rather small chest and saying that her pressure seems to be a bit low and she needs a bit more air in there.

http://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/page/octane-july-2006

https://www.pinterest.com/autobandtv/controversial-tire-ads-pics/

Re. the tyres - I can only speak for Appias (of course!), but to the best of my knowledge Cinturatos have never stopped being available for them, as long as you have the requisite (quite large!) amount of filthy lucre. I have a set of Michelin X tyres on my Appia that I bought in 2000 when I bought the car, and I survey them with concern at regular intervals as they are now well past the lifespan that tyre manufacturers recommend for them, and at some point I will need to replace them. I am not too worried, because the car is kept in the dark and it is light that mostly degrades rubber. They have no visible cracking, but I have seen plenty of burst tyres that didn't either - not least the nearside rear tyre of our green Thema, which burst on the A31 autoroute near the Gevrey-Chambertin services in August 2003, and put the car on its roof.

Sadly Michelin stopped doing the X in Appia size circa 2006, although they still offer it in other sizes, so if I want a period-looking tyre next time it will be Cinturatos or nothing. Cinturatos will do fine, especially as they are an Italian tyre, but I'd have preferred Michelins, partly because they are excellent tyres and partly because the X was developed for the Appia's big sister, so it seems right to fit them. However, no-one has told Michelin that...

* Dijon Thema crash.jpg (36.03 KB, 426x316 - viewed 433 times.)
« Last Edit: 14 January, 2016, 09:00:31 AM by westernlancia » Logged

00 Lancia Y Elefantino Rosso, 96 Lancia Y 1.2, 84 VW Golf GTi, 66 VW Splitscreen, 56 Ford Anglia, 56 Lancia Appia S1, 54 Ford Prefect, 54 Lancia Appia S1, 37 Terraplane, lovely old trailer, 10,000 vintage accessories
oldcaraccessories.com
westernlancia
Lapsed

« Reply #4 on: 14 January, 2016, 09:07:04 AM »

Cinturatos have never stopped being available for them, as long as you have the requisite (quite large!) amount of filthy lucre

Yup - just under a grand for a set of 5.

Ouch - that exceeds my normal tyre budget by about 500%...

http://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/page/155hr15-pirelli-cinturato.html

00 Lancia Y Elefantino Rosso, 96 Lancia Y 1.2, 84 VW Golf GTi, 66 VW Splitscreen, 56 Ford Anglia, 56 Lancia Appia S1, 54 Ford Prefect, 54 Lancia Appia S1, 37 Terraplane, lovely old trailer, 10,000 vintage accessories
oldcaraccessories.com
Neil
Permanent resident

« Reply #5 on: 14 January, 2016, 12:28:06 PM »

Alan, at least you walked away from the Thema after its unfortunate demise, it shows how well built that model Lancia was in its day.  Remember the tyre is the only key component that is in contact with the road, if one fails catastrophically then depending on speed, weather and other unknowns, the potential outcome could be devastating. I try not to economise on tyres, but then balance them with a reasonable mileage.

Neil   

1973 Fulvia S2 1.3
lancialulu
Press Officer
Permanent resident

« Reply #6 on: 14 January, 2016, 12:34:09 PM »

Member offer is in members section under Longstone....

Its not the winning but taking part! or is it taking apart?
Lancias:
1955 Aurelia B12
1967 Fulvia 1.3HFR
1972 Fulvia 1600HF
1972 Fulvia Sport 1600
1983 HPE VX
1988 Delta 1.6GTie
1998 Zeta 21.  12v
westernlancia
Lapsed

« Reply #7 on: 14 January, 2016, 03:16:26 PM »

Alan, at least you walked away from the Thema after its unfortunate demise, it shows how well built that model Lancia was in its day.  Remember the tyre is the only key component that is in contact with the road, if one fails catastrophically then depending on speed, weather and other unknowns, the potential outcome could be devastating. I try not to economise on tyres, but then balance them with a reasonable mileage.

I know - it's amazing that the Thema (well, the Croma - they didn't test a Thema) came dead last in the first Euro NCAP crash tests that took place - I have the copy of What Car with a sensational splash on saying what a death trap Cromas (Themas) are. If this is a death trap, bring it on.

Although (as my wife, who was driving, pointed out at the time), if Themas had had wheel offset and suspension design that prevented them swerving in a blowout (like all VWs since the 70s), the accident wouldn't have happened in the first place. I wasn't driving, but the swerving that followed the blowout was extreme (only 65 mph and uphill, too), and I don't think I could have controlled it if I had been.

Re. tyres - I have also always bought good quality tyres, bought them in pairs, tried to make sure the best ones are on the driven axle, etc., and in the case of this journey I had actually swapped them front to back before leaving, so that the best ones were on the front.

However, this car had the tyres that were on it when I got it (Toyo Kogyos if I remember correctly), and they were good quality tyres with plenty of tread, but what I had failed to take into account was the the car (acquired via one Mr M Morris...) had stood in a yard in Devon for a long time, and the tyre that blew had dry-rotted invisibly inside where it touched the ground. The French police would very much have liked to nick me for having illegal tyres and so they examined them very carefully (that was pretty easy, what with them sticking up in the air an all...), but they pronounced them 'safe' and legal - the only visible external damage was the area where the offending tyre had thrown a tread.

But now, when I get a new (different) car, I always change the tyres unless I have absolute certainty that they are in good condition and with good 'provenance'. There is a really nice tyre guy in Exeter, and I have even got him, on occasion, to take tyres off the rim and check inside for hidden damage, but I only do that if I have reason to be suspicious. And I only buy 'good' brands - as you say, your life is in the hands of the 4-5mm of tyre that is in contact with the road at any given time.
« Last Edit: 14 January, 2016, 03:44:17 PM by westernlancia » Logged

oldcaraccessories.com
Parisien
Administrator
Permanent resident

« Reply #8 on: 26 January, 2016, 10:57:29 AM »

Please see an email form Dougal Cawley of Longstone tyres -

Hi

Firstly I would like to thank you greatly for putting that posting in the general chat section of your forum. It does seem to have created a few mixed questions that I hope could be answered as follows:

·        Yes we do still give discounts to LMC members. (except the special offers we have on sets of 165HR14 Cinturato http://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/page/set-of-5-165r14-pirelli-cinturato.html that you might fit to a Fulvia they are already too heavily discounted) The way to get the LMC discount is to telephone 00 44  1302 711123. We will offer a club discounts and in  most cases on Michelin and Pirelli products we can offer free shipping too (this will include the up and coming 165HR400 CA67)

·        Yes the video is short and not very informative; but to be frank I was surprised to get it at all. Generally tyre manufaccturers are more guarded about what imagery comes out of their factories, I wonder if I was supposed to post this video at all.

·        Thank you for your compliments Westernlancia; yes you can still get our posters free  on  line if you follow this link http://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/page/classic-tyres-poster Also if you want the saucy one make a note in the comments section.

·        I think an Appia would fit 155HR15. If the data on this page http://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/page/lancia-appia and  any additions you could make to it would be great fully received. Yes the Cinturato http://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/page/155hr15-pirelli-cinturato.html has been almost continuously available. Hopefully within the very near future the price of this tyre will go down slightly.  And yes sadly Michelin  no longer make the 155SR15 X  but they do make a 155HR155 XAS http://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/page/155hr15-michelin-xas-ff.html which is an excellent tyre.

I realise I am being commercial and slightly cheaky asking for these posts, but I am hoping that you would also be able to make a posting about the 165HR400 Cinturato tyres in the Aurelia & Flaminia sections of your forum too in an attempt to inform the people it will effect most.

Again thank you for your assistance it is greatly appreciated, and I hope useful to your members.

Vintage Top Gear

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jFqB4M8_1c

Regards

Dougal

Longstone Tyres

Hudsons Yard

Bawtry

DN10 6NX

00 44 1302 711123

I will also post this in the Aurelia section too.

P

Frank Gallagher
Parisien
Administrator
Permanent resident

« Reply #9 on: 19 February, 2016, 06:10:59 PM »

Further up-date off the Lancisti forum -

Re: 165HR400 Pirelli Cinturato availability

These have taken a little longer to get to me than expected. Partly because Pirelli didn't have a 400mm wheel to test them on (why would they).

Any way they should be with me in March.

This is the Cinturato web site https://www.cinturato.net/

P

Frank Gallagher
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd