Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
28 March, 2024, 09:49:06 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Series 3 door lock mechanism problems, HELP  (Read 4066 times)
zagatoman
Lapsed

Looking a lot better

« on: 28 October, 2009, 12:45:35 PM »

Hi, me again.

Having problems with getting my drivers side door to lock. I have fitted a new door lock mechanism (bought from ebay ages ago) but it seems to be different in the way it works to lock the door. Originally you put the key in the lock and that in-turn moves an arm to the side in the mechanism to lock it. The new lock I have fitted seems to have not an arm that moves to the side but a sliding up and down bit.

Can anyone identify the what car is suitable for the new lock, this is free to anyone that wants it after I have fitted an alternative lock.

Has anyone got a lock that is suitable for a series 3? (drivers side.

Thanks for reading, hope it makes sense, pic should help.

Paul

* door lock.JPG (423.35 KB, 992x743 - viewed 386 times.)
« Last Edit: 29 October, 2009, 05:02:48 PM by zagatoman » Logged

Series 1, 1.3 Fulvia Zagato 1969
Philm
« Reply #1 on: 29 October, 2009, 05:43:23 PM »

I have several S2 locks. Which one of the 2 in the picture is causing the problem?
zagatoman
Lapsed

Looking a lot better

« Reply #2 on: 29 October, 2009, 05:59:50 PM »

Hi Phil

The one on the left seems NOT to work as the locking mechanism needs to be lifted. The one on the right is from a series 1 coupe, this works fine but I have the wrong latch fitted to the door aperture (series 3).

Is the series two lock the same as all other series?

What is the lock on the left from?
« Last Edit: 30 October, 2009, 08:22:03 PM by zagatoman » Logged

lancialulu
Press Officer
Permanent resident

« Reply #3 on: 30 October, 2009, 08:11:50 PM »

Paul

Does the lock mechanism work by hand on the bench?

Sometimes there needs to be a bit of fettling when installed to alighn with the door handle button mechanism and rod, as I found a year ago with my zagato.

tim

Its not the winning but taking part! or is it taking apart?
Lancias:
1955 Aurelia B12
1967 Fulvia 1.3HFR
1972 Fulvia 1600HF
1972 Fulvia Sport 1600
1983 HPE VX
1988 Delta 1.6GTie
1998 Zeta 21.  12v
zagatoman
Lapsed

Looking a lot better

« Reply #4 on: 01 November, 2009, 01:10:18 AM »

Hi Tim

Both locks work fine, just the newer looking one is an upedowne lock that will not work with my door handle and key and the older one is a sidesidelock that works with my handle and key. I need a locking mechanism lock the old one but a latch that fits a series 3.

The correct one for the coupe is the sidesidelock (I think ?)

Paul

roddy

« Reply #5 on: 01 November, 2009, 11:57:19 AM »

Hello Paul

The lock on the left is the usual S2 type.   Your door handle button/lock should have a little arm on the end of the cylinder with a small knob on it - this now rests in the U piece on the left.   When you open the door, the knob pushes the lever in, which springs the cam to open the door.   When you lock/unlock the door with the key, the barrel moves the arm up/down and the knob in turn moves the U and its levers up/down which works the locking mechanism.

HOWEVER, if you check the parts manual, at a certain point, the part number changes for the lock mechanism, and it may be your S3 requires the later type lock.   What the differences are, I do not know!!    From experience I can say, when when trying to fit new (yes, really) mechanisms into the apperture of the door frame, they would not fit in at all.   I suspect that the doors may have been from a later car, and certainly not the original ones.    You see on your photo that the one on the left has a 'bob-weight' on a lever arm, which does not feature in the S1 type.   It is getting the bob-weight area into the door frame that proved impossible, and therefore leads me to suspect that the later catches may be different to mate up to a later door pattern.

If someone can confirm that, I would be delighted;  and it might give you a clue as to your problem

Regards - Roddy 

Roddy Young
Dunfermline, Fife

1970 Fulvia Sport S1 1.3S
zagatoman
Lapsed

Looking a lot better

« Reply #6 on: 02 November, 2009, 06:47:47 PM »

Hi Roddy

As usual you are a font of knowledge.

Put my series 1 door latch on the car that I managed to find, all now working well.

Thanks everyone who has given advice.

Paul

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd