Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
28 March, 2024, 02:57:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Zagato headlight surrounds information wanted  (Read 8950 times)
zagatoman
Lapsed

Looking a lot better

« on: 11 October, 2009, 08:00:28 PM »

Hi all

Looking for a bit of information.

I have a Fulvia Zagato 1969 series one, when I purchase it had headlight surrounds that were made from alloy like the series two but not painted black inside. When I went to see Richard Fridd and his gorgeous Zagato it had different style surrounds that had a shaped edge and made from a different material that was chromed. When I got home I was looking through my collection of old ads and came across a series 1 Zagato ad with the same surrounds as mine, but looked like highly polished alloy?.

Just would like to know from the experts what surround would be correct for my car.

Please see pics.

Thanks, Paul

* Zag Headlight.jpg (143.36 KB, 640x480 - viewed 792 times.)

* My Zag surround.jpg (192.5 KB, 472x387 - viewed 602 times.)

* Fulvia Zagato S1 ad.jpg (221.36 KB, 454x361 - viewed 649 times.)

Series 1, 1.3 Fulvia Zagato 1969
Philm
« Reply #1 on: 11 October, 2009, 08:41:33 PM »

For a Series 1 car you really should have the recessed type, the surounds with the recessed edge were to take plexiglass covers. I think that Richards surrounds are probably polished stainless steel. It is quite likely though that towards the end of Series 1 production various Series 2 parts started being introduced so I would not be too worried about fitting the smooth edged alloy types.
zagatoman
Lapsed

Looking a lot better

« Reply #2 on: 11 October, 2009, 09:41:23 PM »

Thanks Phil for the info but cant seem to understand why the ad with the girl sitting on the Zagato at a motor show from 1966 clearly shows that surrounds are the flat non recessed type, was this style originally used with the early cars then later the recessed type for the plexiglass covers then the flat non recessed again with the painted black?.

Do you know anyone who might have a couple of the recessed type? look much better as they are shinier.

Paul

lancialulu
Press Officer
Permanent resident

« Reply #3 on: 12 October, 2009, 07:24:20 AM »

A little bit of caution!

My S2 has the standard alloy covers. I also HAD a set of S1 recessed covers from the previous owner who seemed determined to put the finer brightwork on his (now my car). He suceeded in the radiator grill, the roof gutter trim, and the rear three quarter window trim (subsequently replaced with S2 by me as his modification did not fit well).

I looked in detail at fitting the S1 headlamp surrounds as my car was having a full bare metal renovation. I too liked the refined detail and the chromed look.

To my great surprise the front of the wings and front of car where the headlights go is completely different and the head light covers were a million miles away from fitting nicely!!

We know that Zagato made some body changes to effect pressings early into S2 and all 1600's.

Bottom line. If you have the alloy covers then it is unlikely from my experience to be able to fit the others.

BTW as I couldnt fit the S1's I sold them to a dutch guy on ebay some year or so ago!

Tim

Its not the winning but taking part! or is it taking apart?
Lancias:
1955 Aurelia B12
1967 Fulvia 1.3HFR
1972 Fulvia 1600HF
1972 Fulvia Sport 1600
1983 HPE VX
1988 Delta 1.6GTie
1998 Zeta 21.  12v
ColinMarr
Permanent resident

« Reply #4 on: 12 October, 2009, 08:38:34 AM »

Only to add that in my experience all S1 headlamp surrounds are made of brass and bright chrome plated, held in place by studding brazed to the rear faces  – unlike later ones made of aluminium with visible front fitting screws.

Having looked carefully at the 1966 photo posted by Paul, I am not so sure that it is clearly flat. It looks to me to have a recessed edge, but with plexiglass covers over the whole thing. Does anyone know how the covers might have been fitted? There is no sign of any clips.

Sorry, I don’t have any spares.

Colin

* Lancia details 06a.jpg (117.63 KB, 762x510 - viewed 694 times.)
zagatoman
Lapsed

Looking a lot better

« Reply #5 on: 12 October, 2009, 11:30:04 AM »

Thanks all for your expert advice.

I will be looking to get hold of the surounds from the earlier car with the recessed covers made of brass and bright chrome plated as I am sure I should have them fitted to my car, anyway the look a lot nicer.

So if anyone can help with my quest please gat in contact.

Thanks again, Paul

lancialulu
Press Officer
Permanent resident

« Reply #6 on: 12 October, 2009, 04:02:27 PM »

I can confirm the ones I sold were chromed brass with brazed on stud fixings.

Tim

Its not the winning but taking part! or is it taking apart?
Lancias:
1955 Aurelia B12
1967 Fulvia 1.3HFR
1972 Fulvia 1600HF
1972 Fulvia Sport 1600
1983 HPE VX
1988 Delta 1.6GTie
1998 Zeta 21.  12v
zagatoman
Lapsed

Looking a lot better

« Reply #7 on: 16 October, 2009, 12:30:54 AM »

Thanks everyone, now sorted with series one headlight surrounds, thanks Roddy (nice chap)

Still need a few other bits, especially the series one Zagato spare wheel cover and a heater box.

Paul

Philm
« Reply #8 on: 16 October, 2009, 03:18:36 PM »

I think you will need to have one made as any second hand one you can find will most likely be in poor condition.
zagatoman
Lapsed

Looking a lot better

« Reply #9 on: 16 October, 2009, 08:18:33 PM »

Phil, your probably right but worth having a go for a while to try and locate one, even if it needs work.

Had a nice long chat with Richard Fridd, he was kind enough to let me take photos of his gorgeous S1. I will probably go down and see him again to take some measurements to make one, that’s if he will let me.

Paul

ncundy
Lapsed
Rebel Poster

« Reply #10 on: 17 December, 2009, 08:30:44 PM »

A fellow Lancisti from Germany has contacted me with an answer to the question posed by Paul about the girl and car in the advert.

"You should have a look at the front of this Zagato. The three open areas behind the bumper are not on this car.
This means it was a prototype car on which they tested different styles.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Kind Regards

Andreas Tantius"

Hope that helps with the conclusions.
Neil

1969 Fanalone, Mazda RX-8, Fiat Multipla
Philm
« Reply #11 on: 20 December, 2009, 07:32:25 PM »

Looking through a copy of Auto Italiana from November 1965 covering the release of the Sport at the Torino Salon also shows a car without the intakes in the front panel also. Although the magazine is black and white the car is clearly a dark colour- blue or black. It is shown wearing PROVA plates and on the road.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd