Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
19 March, 2024, 02:27:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Aprilia back on the road  (Read 35724 times)
apriliadriver
Lapsed

« Reply #15 on: 27 September, 2009, 07:59:01 AM »

Scarpia,
I have the standard windscreen wipers. Despite rebuilding them with the strongest spring-on-the-hinge I could find, they manage no more than a casual acquaintance with the surface of the screen. They are OK for passing the MoT but little else.

When last at Omicron, I bought an Aurelia conversion kit they do that clamps onto the small dia. spindles with wiper blades with a stronger hinge-spring. Not pretty, but it looks like it should work.

I have a 12V wiper motor installed (Magnetti Marelli  -  not Aprilia but approx the same size which I bought at the Padua AutoJumble) and it should drive one of these new wiper-blades at least. Padua (Oct 23rd to 25th), reachable by RyanAir to Treviso, is the place to source an alternative wiper motor.

As an aside, the mazak base of my original Aprilia wiper-motor has started to crack and rot and expand outwards making the whole thing unusable.

I am lucky with the fuel gauge  -  rebuilt by a very patient engineer and now works OK.

Sorry can't help on the other things.
Nick
ColinMarr
Permanent resident

« Reply #16 on: 27 September, 2009, 08:26:49 AM »

Just to encourage you further – see this photo, which shows how John Maltby’s Aprilia wipers coped with snow in 1964!

* ApriliaMaltby1a.jpg (81.52 KB, 553x659 - viewed 450 times.)
apriliadriver
Lapsed

« Reply #17 on: 07 October, 2009, 03:04:03 PM »

Hi, Colin !
The plan is still to drive the Aprilia to the HSCC Finals providing it is not monsoon rain (Silverstone on a wet day can be fairly unappealing).

I have spent several hours scraping two-pack paint off the visible part of the bonnet hinge in order to improve appearance. In the course of this I discovered the slot for the spring-loaded bonnet hinge (bereft of its pull-pin) completely concealed under the paint, so at least I can take the bonnet off without dismantling the hinge-brackets.

Other than that, have been rotating the dynamo to take up the slack on the fanbelt, and just about to take up the stretch on the starter motor operating cable.

With more miles on the newly-rebuilt engine, it is starting to free off nicely and revealing a good turn of acceleration for a 1350cc engine. Mike Benwell came over to help me with a box of conundrum parts -  they came with the car in 1988 but I don't know where they fit. Two identified and a few more to go. I shall be selling off surplus bits soon.
Nick
Scarpia
Lapsed
Rebel Poster

« Reply #18 on: 07 October, 2009, 03:11:31 PM »

take some pictures of the "conundrum "parts and upload them...perhaps we can identify them...Perhaps they are just the parts we are all searching for.....
ben
Lapsed
Megaposter

« Reply #19 on: 07 October, 2009, 06:13:44 PM »

Noticed you were not the only Aprilia at Goodwood as there was a picture of one in the Sept 24th Classic Car Weekly.
Grey,with running boards ,proper alluminium bumpers,S2 wheels etc.  Reg No MB 3778. It isnt in the current(!!!!) members list but I bet someone out there knows it.I dont think it was in the normal visitors car park.
fay66
Permanent resident

« Reply #20 on: 07 October, 2009, 06:35:23 PM »

Hi Ben,
It was at the Hawthorn Garage on the sunday when I went, I might be wrong but I thought it had connections with Mike Hawthorn or his Father?

Brian
8227 Cool

* Aprilia Hawthorn Garage copy.jpg (136.22 KB, 500x406 - viewed 487 times.)

Own 1966 Fulvia 2C Berlina since 1997, back on road 11-1999.Known as "Fay"
2006 Renault Megane 1 5 Dci Sports Tourer
Dedra Technical Adviser
ncundy
Lapsed
Rebel Poster

« Reply #21 on: 07 October, 2009, 07:42:42 PM »

I think it's Gerald Batts car, but no connection to Hawthorn. The Aprilia that Mike Hawthorns father owned is supposedly in Australia being restored by and Austin Healey historian.

1969 Fanalone, Mazda RX-8, Fiat Multipla
fay66
Permanent resident

« Reply #22 on: 07 October, 2009, 09:48:51 PM »

Thanks Neil for the correction, I wasn't sure of the facts Roll Eyes

Brian
8227 Cool

Dedra Technical Adviser
apriliadriver
Lapsed

« Reply #23 on: 17 October, 2009, 10:13:47 AM »

I've been wrestling with a defunct starter motor for the last three days. Unfortunately the starting handle apertures do not line up with the dog, so using the handle was not an option.

Working underneath the Aprilia, the lower nut holding the motor onto the stud was no problem  ....  but the top nut was a pig, torqued up very tight indeed. Given the confined space, I was only to get a 4-inch length ring spanner onto the nut, and just could not get enough leverage to shift the little blighter.

Having spent a small bankers bonus on buying wobble bars, extension bars, breaker bar, articulated ratchets, ultra-short 17mm sockets etc., by Friday I was still getting nowhere. I cut the shortest 17mm socket even shorter and ground it on one side to give the necessary clearance to get a clean fit but still no movement. I could not get enough purchase on a long breaker bar working from the top of the engine without endangering the carb linkage & the mazak fitting on the Weber carb  -  unobtainable if you break it.

Then, as if by magic, Colin Marr paid a social call and provided the essential second pair of hands : with me working underneath, unsighted, and him working from the top and able to see what was going on, I was able to shift the nut and remove the starter. Oh joy unconfined !

Opening up the offending item (which had been refurbed less than 12 months ago), the brushes were OK, but there was a lot of carbon dust in evidence. The commutator was bright for about half its circumference and very dark & dirty for the other half. Sparking up the motor on the bench, it would work if the brushes stopped on the bright side, but stall if the brushes were on the dark side. That was the problem that led me to take the starter off in the first place.

Just moving the shaft by a few degrees and the motor would operate OK. The springs which press the brushes onto the commutator were both strong and operating. Even after cleaning the commutator with carb cleaner I had the same problem.

So it looks as though I have got an irregularly-worn commutator or a bent shaft  -  further investigation required.

Today the spare starter gets installed and I hope I can drive the Aprilia to Silverstone on Sunday to see Tim Burrett, Chris Gawne and the Kennedys win the AMOC Fifties Sports Car Team Challenge in their Aurelias. Thanks to Colin for getting me this far !
Nick
ColinMarr
Permanent resident

« Reply #24 on: 17 October, 2009, 09:07:45 PM »

Nick,

Thanks for the tribute, but I didn’t do much – it was just a matter of winding back my memory 40 years and knowing what to look at!

Your car is a great. I am green with envy.

Colin
Scarpia
Lapsed
Rebel Poster

« Reply #25 on: 18 October, 2009, 11:56:21 AM »

I seem to recall taking the carbs off to make the access easier from above?

but a mere bagatelle compared with changing the brake master cylinder...the top of the three mounting bolts nearly made me remove the engine and gearbox to access it.......
davidwheeler
Permanent resident

« Reply #26 on: 20 October, 2009, 09:23:24 AM »

I used a short ring spanner and a loop of string on the other end on which I could pull mightily...

David Wheeler.  Lambdas, Aprilia, Fulvia Sport.(formerly Appia and Thema as well).
apriliadriver
Lapsed

« Reply #27 on: 27 October, 2009, 10:57:17 AM »

Well, I thought it would all go back together without a problem.

However  ....  having re-installed the starter motor  -   but not connected the bowden cable to the starter lever  -  I stowed the cable ( I thought) safely out of harms way and operated the starter manually, lying underneath the car  .... just to make sure everything worked.

Starter worked  -  at which point the bowden cable fell out of position and shorted out on the power cable. From underneath the car I could see the cable glowing red and  decided that dislodging it from the terminal was a good idea.

Cue girlish cry as I welded my fingers to the red hot cable. No, not a good idea.

Leapt out from underneath the car and cut the battery cut-out switch  -  but too late, the bowden cable had melted.

So yesterday, armed with a new bowden cable (actually a Halfords pedal-cycle brake cable), I  removed the old melted cable remains and installed a replacement, refitted the motor and everything now works.

This episode falls into the 'I just learnt a lesson' category.

Over last weekend, myself and 5 Alfa-oriented mates visited the Padova AutoJumble & Exhibition, via RyanAir to Treviso, about one hours drive from Padova. There are two very large halls with (almost exclusively) Italian car parts and another 5 halls with cars for sale, car clubs, manufacturers historic collections, suppliers of services etc. It is certainly a much better use of time than searching a UK autojumble for Italian parts. There was a mass of Lancia material from 1930 to 1970 in evidence.

I came away with proper Aprilia interior window winders, interior door lock levers, wheel nuts, light lenses,a repro small identity plate, and a repro boot floor mat from Ciccognani. Ron Francis was sharing a stand with a German chum who remanufactures Lancia dynamos and starters, and Aurelia enthusiast Chris Gawne was around somewhere, though I missed seeing him.
Nick
fay66
Permanent resident

« Reply #28 on: 27 October, 2009, 11:04:08 AM »

Hi Nick,
did you make it a 2 day trip? if so can you give a rough idea of cost, as I'd like to go another year.

Regards
Brian Hilton
8227 Cool

Dedra Technical Adviser
chriswgawne
Permanent resident

« Reply #29 on: 27 October, 2009, 03:12:56 PM »

I havent been to the Padova autojumble for 2 or 3 years and this year, I really only went to pickup some pre-ordered mats for Jacky's Fulvia Sport and my 1st Series Aurelia. I tried hard to 'keep my hands in my pockets' as in previous years when I had Aurelia projects on the go, I always seemed to find everything I needed and more!!
This year having no real shopping list, I expected to wander around on Friday and Saturday collecting my mats just as I was about to leave but no way. Of all things I found some complex aluminium trim pieces which are missing on Jacky's B24 Convertible and which fit in the leading edge of the door shut. They are in perfect condition, they fit the car and the only downside was the cost....but I never in a million years expected to get such an unusual thing there. And then.... I found some other bits which again I never expected to find anywhere such as a brand new wooden Fulvia Sport dashboard.
The Padova Autojumble is so large these days that I truly believe that if you look long enough and hard enough, you can find almost everything for your Italian car there but you must be persistent and thorough.
If you find what you want, I would strongly suggest trying to buy it there and then - if you wait until Sunday afternoon the price might have reduced but will it still be for sale?
There are also literally hundreds of classic Italian cars for sale as well.
As to cost, I think was 17Euros per day to get in although there is a Season Ticket available for pre-purchase.
In many ways it is easiest to have a car to take purchases away although by Friday morning at 10.00am all the car parks were full!  You then park about a mile away and walk.

Chris Gawne
Mobile: 07778 216552
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd