Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
19 March, 2024, 04:46:41 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Aprilia back on the road  (Read 35728 times)
fay66
Permanent resident

« Reply #30 on: 27 October, 2009, 04:34:35 PM »

Thanks for the information Chris,
 I've no bits missing from "Fay" that I know of, but the odd bit in better condition would be nice! when we went to Portugal in 2004 there was a big classic show and autojumble in Oporto that our Portugese Lancia friends took us to, not that many bits for my 2c but I had a great find, a brand new old stock 2c script off of the back panel, being mazak the old one was pitted and minus most of the chrome.

Did you take any photos?
Brian
8227 Cool

Own 1966 Fulvia 2C Berlina since 1997, back on road 11-1999.Known as "Fay"
2006 Renault Megane 1 5 Dci Sports Tourer
Dedra Technical Adviser
chriswgawne
Permanent resident

« Reply #31 on: 27 October, 2009, 06:37:14 PM »

Hi Brian,
No I didnt but have a look at www.automotodepoca.com
Chris

Chris Gawne
Mobile: 07778 216552
northfawley
Lapsed

« Reply #32 on: 23 November, 2009, 05:40:58 PM »

re earlier post i have an original aprilia fitted suitcase and would be happy for anyone to measure it if they want make a copy.All I need now is an Aprilia to go with it.Does anyone know what happened to HMK 307 that I sold approx 5 years ago.If you know of any coming up for sale or an Augusta let me know.

* apriliasuitcase 002.jpg (258.07 KB, 720x574 - viewed 391 times.)

Simon Lake
Lancia Augusta Berlina 1935 CLM 337
Land Rover Series 1 1950!
www.lakeautosnug.co.uk
apriliadriver
Lapsed

« Reply #33 on: 24 November, 2009, 06:37:01 PM »

Yes ! I would be delighted to have a look and measure up ! Please e-mail me on         nsavage51@hotmail.com     with a contact number and address so I know where to come ....
Yrs
Nick
Tony Stephens

« Reply #34 on: 25 November, 2009, 08:40:17 PM »

Nobody seems to be talking about the leaf spring engine mountings when complaining about clutch judder. I haven't run an Aprilia for about 40 years, but I did 90,000 miles in mine then. When the clutch juddered I got some better-looking engine mounting leaves, fitted them, and all problems went away. Perhaps that was a different sort of judder?
apriliadriver
Lapsed

« Reply #35 on: 26 November, 2009, 08:44:46 AM »

Tony,
The Series 1 leaf-spring engine mountings are a bit more fragile than the S2 and I was very careful about selecting the best out of a large box-full, so I do not think that this is the cause. I go along with previous posters  ....  the design of the clutch actuation is a long way from perfect; there is the potential for wear in the fabric couplings and backlash elsewhere  -  all of which would be a fairly simple explanation. The only Aprilia I owned with no clutch judder was the Merryweather S2 where the restorer had installed an entirely different manufacture of clutch and redesigned the actuation.
Nick
ben
Lapsed
Megaposter

« Reply #36 on: 28 November, 2009, 03:11:36 PM »

Tony
          Interested to hear you did 40000 miles in your Aprilia. Assuming she was ARX560 you may like to know she is in my shed awaiting restoration.
                 Ben

PS The engine mounting springs are still there but unfortunately not the engine which I believe matched up with another car so got liberated some years ago,as did the Spitfire mirror!       
apriliadriver
Lapsed

« Reply #37 on: 06 December, 2009, 07:53:54 PM »

Episode 23
About 2 weeks ago the replacement starter motor failed due to defective actuation of the copper contact in the triangular housing on top of the starter.

So  -  no choice but to replace it with a known (working) motor. Getting the starter off was no problem -  I should be getting good at this by now  -  but the bugbear on refitting the serviceable starter was trying to thread the clevis pin and split pin onto the starter lever before installing the motor. Due to slim clearance, you can't do this after the motor has been bolted up.

No access from the top of the engine, so I had to work underneath, blind by feel. It is really a three-handed job for a thin-wristed ten-year old, not a two-handed job for a thick-wristed 60-yr old. If you get lucky it locates second time, but if not then it is like trying to thread a needle in the dark on the wrong side of a council grating.

After only an hour of teeth-grinding I got it lodged and lo and behold, I have an operational starter. Providing there's not much salt down I will be out on the road later this week.
Nick
Tony Stephens

« Reply #38 on: 06 December, 2009, 08:34:00 PM »

Hi Ben,

Yes it was ARX 560 and it was 90,000 not 40,000 miles. I sold it to Grant Gibson, because the engine (which I had got from John Maltby) was the original one for his car. He bought all my Aprilia stuff, kept the engine and extensive spares, and passed the car on. When I saw it last it was with Nigel Stoyel in Devon.

The Spitfire mirror was a special feature along with a Brooklands steering wheel and a mesh grille, both I felt to be '30's/50's go-faster kit.

I bought it for £50, how much did you pay?

If it ever becomes available I would be interested because I regretted selling it the moment it left me.
fay66
Permanent resident

« Reply #39 on: 07 December, 2009, 01:35:21 AM »

"If it ever becomes available I would be interested because I regretted selling it the moment it left me".

How many of us have uttered those fateful words Cry

Brian
8227 Cool

Own 1966 Fulvia 2C Berlina since 1997, back on road 11-1999.Known as "Fay"
2006 Renault Megane 1 5 Dci Sports Tourer
Dedra Technical Adviser
davidwheeler
Permanent resident

« Reply #40 on: 04 January, 2010, 03:59:25 PM »

When refitting the starter motor I detach the actuating wire at the cab end, fit the clevis pin, then the motor and then pull the wire tight again.

David Wheeler.  Lambdas, Aprilia, Fulvia Sport.(formerly Appia and Thema as well).
apriliadriver
Lapsed

« Reply #41 on: 12 April, 2010, 07:41:36 AM »

Spring hopes eternal. Or something like that anyway.

Yesterday, a mate and I took the Aprilia to the London Bus Preservation Trust mega-meet at Wisley Airfield. 230 London buses attended, mainly double-deckers and mainly RT and RM types. Oh ! the nostalgia. I grew up oin London in the 1950s, so RTs are the common thread through my childhood. There were about 30 pre- and post-war cars on display as well.

I was keen to try out the manual rad shutter actuation, but even on a relatively warm day with the shutters closed, the water temp did not rise above 140F even when queuing to get onto the show site. Anyway, 100 miles completed on the round-trip, the first good run of the year.
Nick
Scarpia
Lapsed
Rebel Poster

« Reply #42 on: 12 April, 2010, 08:51:22 AM »

but even on a relatively warm day with the shutters closed, the water temp did not rise above 140F even when queuing to get onto the show site.
fairly typical;see my pm.Where is the sender (radiator header tank?)
William
apriliadriver
Lapsed

« Reply #43 on: 12 April, 2010, 09:59:36 AM »

William,
The sender is fitted in the vertical rubber hose which exits the head and connects to the header tank. After switch off, heat-sink causes the temp to  rise to about 160F.

Thanks for the p.m.  -  all good advice & thanks.
Nick
apriliadriver
Lapsed

« Reply #44 on: 16 April, 2010, 02:02:02 PM »

After a bit more fettling, I booked the Aprilia into Sean Watson at The Old Coach Works, Over Wallop, Hants, for remedial work on the paint on the bonnet and boot-lid. Sean is probably the most perfectionist painter and detailer I have met. No-one could complain about his work  -  it is outstanding.

Set off on Thursday p.m. to overnight at a  mate's just N. of Andover, ready for an early start on Friday a.m. I went via VSCC member Trevor Pask at Stoke Park, who has been rebuilding the 1938 Aprilia single-seater special which came with my Aprilia saloon when I bought them in 1988. He had found a distributor's enamel badge which he thought might have come off my car. I have several holes in the glove-box lid (probably for two unknown badges, I surmise) but none of them matched up to Trevor's find. Ah well ! Another hope dashed. His Aprilia racer is now 90% finished with a beautiful new 'dutch clog'-style body reminiscent of an Austin 7 as raced at Brooklands. Trevor's 6-car garage has 3 Seneschals and 2 Amilcars and if you favour early French light sporting cars, this is heaven.

After that, ploughed through rush-hour Slough to the M4. On the motorway, the engine was afflicted by intermittent electric fuel-pump operation (typical that it was one of the few modern components on the car), and we ground to a halt, but a thorough check of the pump, the inline filter and the switch showed no obvious defects.

Lying under the car with the constant stream of fast lorries whizzing by two feet from my two feet was suitably intimidating though. The noise level is so high that it is difficult to work out whether the pump is working by anything other than touch.

Anyway, no more problems on the rest of the 75-mile trip, and managed a regular 70 mph southbound on the A34. The acceleration between 50 and 70 is extraordinarily good for a pre-war 1350cc engined car.
This morning (Friday), off to Sean's at 0730 to arrive when he opened up. He has decided that the bonnet and boot (sprayed with dirty and/or lumpy cellulose) need to be stripped and repainted.

I hope to pick the Aprilia up, shining, next week.
Nick
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd