Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
19 March, 2024, 02:08:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Aprilia back on the road  (Read 35723 times)
apriliadriver
Lapsed

« on: 15 September, 2009, 11:11:34 AM »

My 1938 Series 1 Aprilia, EBP 209, received its MoT last week and is back on the road for the first time since 1969.

I have owned the car for 20 years and started the restoration in 1999. After 7 years of false starts and progress, Dave Scheldt in Harrow took it on : it was a pleasure to work with Dave who knows all the Aprilia quirks.Subsequently Dave and Terry started the process of winding their business down, so I had to take the Aprilia elsewhere. I finally handed it over to JSW Ltd at Waterlooville and they have done a magnificent job.

So far I have driven 300 miles (running-in and snagging); cut and polished the paint (untouched since painting 6 years ago and covered in a fine workshop oxidisation); fitted the leather straps inside the boot (but I still need some ideas about where to source fitted luggage) and sorting out the spare wheel turnbuckle tie-down.

In particular I love the switch-operated illuminated fuel gauge, (the first operating fuel gauge that I have had in 20 years of old Italian car ownership) and the beautiful gear-change. The S1 clutch judders a bit (relined and rebuilt  -  is this an Aprilia characteristic ?).And who would not love the excellent brakes  -   the same width and diameter as the 1950s Alfa Giuliettas I have been driving since 1991.

I have some bits surplus to requirement including S2 single-leaf engine bearers and a fine-spline steering drop-arm which I think a Forum member was searching for (? I will search another thread).

I would like to thank Barbara and the Club for helping me retrieve the original registration of this Alperton car, and the many Aprilia owners who have helped me with parts which went missing early on in the restoration process  -  a big thank you to Ron Francis being chief among these.

If all goes well, I will be taking the car to Goodwood Revival this Friday and parking in the pre-66 car-park.
Nick

ColinMarr
Permanent resident

« Reply #1 on: 15 September, 2009, 12:11:38 PM »

Well done Nick!

I remember admiring your car at Dave Scheldt’s about ten years ago, when it was still missing some critical parts. Brilliant that you have finished it.

I look forward to seeing it on the road, but I won’t be at Goodwood. Might you take it to Silverstone on 17 October for the HSCC Finals?

Colin
apriliadriver
Lapsed

« Reply #2 on: 15 September, 2009, 03:29:42 PM »

Colin,
Thanks  ...  and thanks for the encouragement over the years !

Yes, if I can I will go to the HSCC Finals  ....  although if it is raining hard, I might have second thoughts  ....  the wiper arms are as original and despite best efforts are likely to be fairly pathetic  :  OK for MoT but little else. I will try Rain-X and see if that works on an Aprilia.

You would be welcome to visit if you find yourself in the Ruislip area  -  I have a small pile of conundrum parts and I am asking for help to identify where they fit. I have gone through the Parts Book(s) but as you know, not every component is shown. Mike Benwell says he will come over to have a look.
Nick
Dilambdaman
Permanent resident

« Reply #3 on: 15 September, 2009, 09:49:06 PM »

Hi Nick and welcome to the forum.

Well done for persevering with the rebuild, any chance of some photos? I will be at Goodwood on Friday and keep a look out for you and the car. Not sure if the Dilambda will make it although it is almost roadworthy.

Robin.

Robin Lacey 3222

1932 Dilambda
1992 Y10 GTie
2012 Delta Mk3
Scarpia
Lapsed
Rebel Poster

« Reply #4 on: 16 September, 2009, 04:03:29 PM »

well done, mine went through its mot (again)a few weeks ago also and yes my clutch judders too as I pull away.Secret to the frail windscreenwipers is to stay above 70mph in the rain and it just runs off.....
ben
Lapsed
Megaposter

« Reply #5 on: 16 September, 2009, 10:21:31 PM »

Hi Nick
           Great that you have an Aprilia to drive around in once more.May-be we will meet at some remote European road junction again like we did in 2006!!
           My Aprilia also suffers judder as the clutch is let out. The clutch itself on 1st series cars is very difficult to set up perfectly as the design relies on a perfectly matched set of hairpin springs.The effect of any uneveness is then magnified if there is any backlash in the drive train and this is also pretty well inevitable because there are so many potential sources---ie wear in the gearbox;the three propshaft flex couplings;the rear axle(cwp and diff); the four drive shaft UJs;the two sliding spline joints in the drive shafts;and also the splined joints into and out of the final drive unit and into and out of each drive shaft (although these should all be locked up).Rear wheel bearings can also contribute.
          My advice is to practice your start technique.No dithering about! Get the clutch all the way out as quickly as you can.
           PS I can also give egg sucking advice if you have a maternal forebear who might benefit!!
apriliadriver
Lapsed

« Reply #6 on: 17 September, 2009, 11:46:20 AM »

Ben,
I do remember our meeting south of the MontCenis Pass in 2006 !

For the info of other Aprilia Forum readers, I was driving the ex-Paul Merryweather bright-red Aprilia S2 down to The Centenary in Turin with co-driver Paul Gregory. About mid-morning, somewhere east of Chambery, we reached the spot where two N-roads intersected at a shallow angle. We were waiting at the traffic lights when to our amazement a UK-registered Aprilia sailed through the other part of the intersection  -  the first old car we had seen for two days  ....  and it was Ben.  A meeting worthy of Stanley and Livingstone !

As to the clutch, yes there are amples opportunities to amplify the judder and I suspect that the flexible prop-shaft joints are the main culprits  -  definitely past their best. I am driving as you suggest  -  and getting the clutch fully engaged in the shortest time possible. No fears abt Granma and eggs  -  I am soaking up advice on Aprilias wherever I can find it !
Nick
tzf60

« Reply #7 on: 17 September, 2009, 12:37:35 PM »

Hi Nick!
I'll take great comfort from your mail. I bought my Series 1 from RF in 1998, but have a long way to go before I can drive it. Your tale will help to spurn me on!

Kind regards,
Tim F

1939 Series 1 Aprilia undergoing very slow restoration.....

Previous Lancias: 1979 Beta Sedan 2000, 1982 Delta 1500, 1988 Delta 1.3, 1992 Dedra 1.8ie
Scarpia
Lapsed
Rebel Poster

« Reply #8 on: 18 September, 2009, 06:02:42 AM »

Nick, after I pestered Cavalitto for a few months they had a batch of flexible couplings made last year.130 euro per piece I think.I replaced mine and it transformed the car.
apriliadriver
Lapsed

« Reply #9 on: 23 September, 2009, 08:27:18 AM »

Thanks for the advice on the fabric couplings  -  I have also found a supplier of Hardy rubberised discs in Birmingham, courtesy the VSCC's Tech Forum.

Yesterday, I had the Aprilia coachlined in mid-green by Terry Cramp of Banstead, S. London. He has done a superb job. He also coachlined the red Aprilia that Charles Hobbs now owns. He is very reasonable, a nice bloke who does the work at your place, and does the outlining on steam traction engines, showman's engines etc when not working on the better sort of older car : contact him on 0208 642 0384.

The visit to Goodwood Revival went without a hitch, parking in the pre-66 Carpark. The car seems to be doing about 25 mpg which I put down to (i) the Weber carb, and (ii) the driver.
Nick
apriliadriver
Lapsed

« Reply #10 on: 24 September, 2009, 11:36:22 AM »

If I have got the hang of posting pictures, this message should show the Aprilia EBP 209 in the Pre-66 Car Park at Goodwood last Friday. Unfortunately the cloudy weather did not make for a bright photo. Pity about the M***** Minor alongside, but you can't choose !

Did anyone see the beautifully-restored 1912 Silver Ghost landaulette amidst all the sixties classics on Friday ? What an imposing motor !
Nick

* IMG_0651.JPG (72.48 KB, 640x480 - viewed 547 times.)

* IMG_0650.JPG (62.16 KB, 640x480 - viewed 536 times.)
chugga boom
Non-LMC Seller
Permanent resident

« Reply #11 on: 24 September, 2009, 12:06:24 PM »

looks well, its good to see another on the road,

1935 augusta lusso (chugga)
1935 belna saloon
1935 augusta lusso
1938 ardenne
1939 aprilia lusso
1958 appia s2
1963 appia s3 
195? appia camioncino
1972 fulvia 1600HF
1976 fulvia coupe
194? ardea SUV  "THE BEAST!!!"
davidwheeler
Permanent resident

« Reply #12 on: 25 September, 2009, 10:02:57 AM »

I put a series 2 clutch into mine but it also tends to judder.   I thought it was just me (and it is getting better as I get more practice).
David

David Wheeler.  Lambdas, Aprilia, Fulvia Sport.(formerly Appia and Thema as well).
Scarpia
Lapsed
Rebel Poster

« Reply #13 on: 25 September, 2009, 04:26:48 PM »

looks really great.
I've no idea what my economy is but I thought it was more than 25mpg...even considering my heavy right foot and twin carbs. I'll try and do a test in the next few days.My petrol gauge sender unit "doesn't"..... so I never have the pleasure of seeing what my reserve illuminates which makes driving till you run out a genuine prospect.

If you source a type of windscreen wiper that fits let me know, I've been looking for a couple of years.If you source the matching luggage, look inside you should find the holy grail in there too....

Anyone know what type of seal I need for where the propshaft meets the diff just behind the last flexible coupling.Mine drips oil and I keep putting off dismantling the whole thing to find out what needs replacing......
johnturner
Lapsed

« Reply #14 on: 25 September, 2009, 09:25:26 PM »

Words like 'grannies' and 'eggs' spring to mind, but could all these juddering clutches be the result of people bonding on the linings?  As I recall the Aprilia clutch plate is the same as the Augusta which means that it is built like a fan with the linings riveted alternately to the leading and trailing edges of the blades. As the 'fan' is compressed this provides, even for the clumsy, a very smooth take up of the drive. I mention this because, when we retrieved the Augusta earlier this year, we found that new linings had been beautifully bonded to the plate producing a solid block of resinliningaluminium which made the car virtually undriveable.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd