Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
28 March, 2024, 02:40:51 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: BBC TV Top Gear programme on Lancia!  (Read 57581 times)
peterbaker
Permanent resident

www.retro-speed.co.uk

« Reply #90 on: 30 November, 2009, 05:26:39 PM »

I also cringe at what seems purile attention seeking activities by Clarkson. However, one has to consider where the future members of LMC are going to come from. It would appear from the audience viewing figures that the twenty somethings revel in their antics and hold the trio in awe, even respect, god help us. If exposure to the brand gets youngsters interested enough to go one step further it must be worth the pain.
As they say, no publicity is bad publicity.  

1961 Lancia Flavia 1.5 Berlina. FIAT Abarth. 1954 Daimler Conquest. 2003 MG ZT-T 135. 1998 SAAB 9-5 3 litre turbo.
ColinMarr
Permanent resident

« Reply #91 on: 30 November, 2009, 07:26:56 PM »

It’s on BBC iPlayer now and I have just caught up with it. Overall I think Lancia came out of it very well. The longer the Hawk HF bit went on the more I want one!

Yes, there was a Fulvia Zagato in there briefly, right at the start with the cars driving in the rain – pleased to say it was mine! What a pity they didn’t make more of all that filming (four hours no less!) and barely a glimpse of the Flaminia.

Colin
Sliding Pillar
Permanent resident

« Reply #92 on: 30 November, 2009, 07:38:21 PM »

The programme has certainly given Lancia some good publicity, just look how many more 'Guests' have been veiwing the Forum since Sunday night!

1955 Aurelia
1961 Lamborghini
lee69
« Reply #93 on: 30 November, 2009, 07:55:38 PM »

Looks like a few Alfa owners have got the hump  Cry http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/other-marques/198140-is-it-april-already-tg-must-think-so.html

Best quote must be "the Delta looked like a box on wheels" - whereas the Alfa Arna looked like....? Let me think a bit  Roll Eyes I know, a Datsun with an Alfa grille.
« Last Edit: 30 November, 2009, 07:59:58 PM by lee69 » Logged
SteveGales
Megaposter

« Reply #94 on: 30 November, 2009, 08:03:45 PM »

Just to add my thoughts, pretty much as expected and overall probably a shot in the arm for the marque.

The treatment of the Stratos replica did I must admit make me wince, not only from blowing up the engine on the Stig's lap but earlier on when Clarkson was driving it and the wiper blade folded back and he then proceeded to turn it on! I wonder if the owner needed a new screen as well?

Pretty much guessed that they wouldn't have driven Stuart's car and thought the comments (in the style of the WW2 pilots on the
Armstrong and Miller show)...well harsh! Paul's right though the reaction to the car at the NEC both this year and to the one we had from Italy last was almost universally positive. So Jeremy, you three...' are all wrong'!

Did think the Evo looked particularly good on those roads, Steve/Mike wouldn't mind a run out on them either .
Steve

P.S Hope you've decided to keep the car now Mike
rogerelias
Rebel Poster

MY 1600HF IN HEARTBEAT GARAGE

« Reply #95 on: 30 November, 2009, 08:41:55 PM »

Well i did my bit for Lancia today, Smiley left for work earlier, and got the 1600 HF out of the lock up and went the long way to work, through town and noticed in the mirror more than a few people pointing at the car. so there i did my PR bit.  Roll Eyes

FULVIA 1600HF LUSSO
1958 VELOCETTE MAC
Triumph Bonneville t120v 1972
1968 MGC ROADSTER
1958 Series 2 Appia berlina
fensaddler
Lapsed
Permanent resident

« Reply #96 on: 30 November, 2009, 08:44:31 PM »

Pretty good overall I thought. It'll be along time before we get exposure of that magnitude again - lets capitalise on it.

Never fear - the press release went out over the weekend!  Perhaps another one is due now we've all seen it, but one has to be careful with these TG chaps as they do get a bit rude about car clubs...

Chris Owen
1987 Delta 1.3LX
2012 Skoda Yeti 112TSi 4WD
Mike8v
Lapsed

« Reply #97 on: 30 November, 2009, 08:48:08 PM »

Just to add my thoughts, pretty much as expected and overall probably a shot in the arm for the marque.

The treatment of the Stratos replica did I must admit make me wince, not only from blowing up the engine on the Stig's lap but earlier on when Clarkson was driving it and the wiper blade folded back and he then proceeded to turn it on! I wonder if the owner needed a new screen as well?

Pretty much guessed that they wouldn't have driven Stuart's car and thought the comments (in the style of the WW2 pilots on the
Armstrong and Miller show)...well harsh! Paul's right though the reaction to the car at the NEC both this year and to the one we had from Italy last was almost universally positive. So Jeremy, you three...' are all wrong'!

Did think the Evo looked particularly good on those roads, Steve/Mike wouldn't mind a run out on them either .
Steve

P.S Hope you've decided to keep the car now Mike

Well Im not sure taking the transit (booo) up the mountian will give me the same thrill as the grale would, specialy when chucking round cucu bend  Grin (the tight hairpin up there)
sparehead3
Administrator
Permanent resident

« Reply #98 on: 30 November, 2009, 08:51:14 PM »

How about a special on the website - "other great cars you didn't see on top gear" ?

Just seen the gritter go by Sad

Regards,
Steve Pilgrim
fensaddler
Lapsed
Permanent resident

« Reply #99 on: 30 November, 2009, 09:16:12 PM »

The more time goes on, the more I think we've done well.  All publicity is good publicity, there was a lot of appreciation there, and as many have said, that's probably put the marque in front of an entire generation who knew nothing about it.  By the standards of TG, we've been given a good run.  A colleague of mine today said that though TG is getting tired, that was, in relative terms, a good one, and one for the enthusiasts.

Chris Owen
1987 Delta 1.3LX
2012 Skoda Yeti 112TSi 4WD
stuwilson128
Non-LMC Seller
Rebel Poster

« Reply #100 on: 30 November, 2009, 10:21:18 PM »

Just got home from work, and I have to say that given the comments made about my Delta, my colleagues gave me less grief than expected.  They all said that they were disappointed at the time given to my car.  Most of them seemed to like the Fulvia and appeared impressed that I have one in the collection!  A lot of the comments referred to the pile of rusty parts.  It had been noted by a few of them that Clarkson had made the same joke about 10 years ago when talking about a Beta.

I also had colleagues come up to me asking if I saw the programme, and were somewhat surprised when I told them I was there with one of my cars   Cheesy

The lap that was shown of the Stratos was in actual fact the second lap that the Stig did.  I think in total, he did about 30 laps.  He got progressively quicker as he got used to the handling of the car.  I believe that the quickest time achieved by the car was much faster than that which was announced on the show, but in the interests of "good" television, they wanted to show the Stig losing control of the car!

Stuart Wilson 11175
1973 Fulvia Coupe 1.3
2000 Lybra SW 2.4JTd
2009 Delta 1.9 Twin Turbo
frankxhv773t
Permanent resident

« Reply #101 on: 30 November, 2009, 10:33:04 PM »

I am in the "any publicity is good publicity" camp. I have lost count of the number of times I have told young (and even not so young) car enthusiasts that I drive a Lancia and they respond "You mean a Lancer" and then professed complete ignorance that any such marque as Lancia exists. I shouldn't think so many people have been exposed to the glory of Lancia since they last won the World Rally Championship. It is remarkable that TG could make a case for Lancia being the greatest car maker in the world whilst barely having to delve back further than the Fulvia. If the TG team had looked properly at the achievements of Lancia's first half century I think their tiny brains would have exploded!!
andymc

Is that a Golf with a bodykit?

« Reply #102 on: 30 November, 2009, 10:53:36 PM »

The great thing about it too is that the enthusiasm was so clearly genuine from the presenters. They are not renowned for their acting skills!

I must admit I have watched the integrale footage several times and its a fantastic bit of film with a great soundtrack. Really quite dramatic if you turn up the volume on the telly.

The comment about Stuarts car will have passed most viewers by and I think it is always going to be something that divides opinion as it is genuinely different to anything else.

I have had no less than 4 e-mails today asking "was that your car on TG last night?" and some real enthusiasm shown by colleagues who wanted to know more.

People not in the know are now better informed and people in the know have had a "refresher course." it's just about as good a result as we could have hoped for.

1993 integrale Evo 2
sparehead3
Administrator
Permanent resident

« Reply #103 on: 30 November, 2009, 11:00:31 PM »

I watched it again and it is great footage and I got asked if mine was the same as Simon's integrale.

Regards,
Steve Pilgrim
St Volumex
Lapsed
Rebel Poster

Owner of RetroPart

« Reply #104 on: 01 December, 2009, 07:31:19 AM »

On the subject of Clarkson's Beta rust comments 10 years ago, he was caught using a wooden magnet, and the BBC finally issued a reluctant apology!  Grin

Still, the best our satellite pay TV service can offer us here last night was an old Top Gear programme with Lewis Hamilton as the guest, way back when he was still Alonso's team mate.  Roll Eyes

"...Back in the USSR, you don't know how lucky you are..."

Sorry Stu about the time afforded your Delta - it deserves a lot more than that.  I should know, as I drove one here in South Africa.
« Last Edit: 01 December, 2009, 10:20:53 AM by St Volumex » Logged

Guy McDougall
www.facebook.com/RetroPart
Rare Parts for Rare Machines
Appia Coupé S3 (Rosina), Appia Berlina S3 (La Giaconda), Fulvia 1.3S 5 spd coupé (Tigger, belongs to Carol), Beta Spyder S2 (Vivaldi), Montecarlo Spyder S2, HPE VX (Pugsly) etc
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd