Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
29 March, 2024, 06:50:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Steering wheel re-varnish  (Read 2492 times)
libbyvic
Lapsed

« on: 26 August, 2009, 05:54:56 AM »

Hi, both steering wheels on the Fulvia and Sport have chipped off most of the brown varnish. What would you recommend to re-apply?

Thanks

Michael

1968 Fulvia Sport S1 Zagato
roddy

« Reply #1 on: 26 August, 2009, 09:59:16 AM »

Hello Michael

I have successfully refurbished a couple of S2 steering wheels - a bit time consuming but worth it.   You know that on the S2 the rim is plastic, therefore don't go near it with paint stripper ( I did, once!!).   Carefully sand off the varnish with fairly coarse production paper (60 or 80 grit?) - you may need steel wool for the finger grip areas.   It is quite easy to see when you are through to the plastic - just be careful and go slowly.   The bare plastic is quite orangy in colour, so I darkened it by brushing on one (or two, dependent upon your wishes - I did two) of polyurethane wood stain varnish (admittedly this was the era when paint was spirit based and not water based as now).  The modern nylon abrasive pads (spray-shop supplies or motor factors) are good for sanding the varnished finish smooth after coats.   Then mask the spokes and spray the rim with several coats of clear enamel varnish - I used gloss.   If you then cut it back slightly, as you would after spraying bodywork, it gives an almost original sheen.   

Regards - Roddy

Roddy Young
Dunfermline, Fife

1970 Fulvia Sport S1 1.3S
libbyvic
Lapsed

« Reply #2 on: 26 August, 2009, 03:14:03 PM »

Cheers Roddy. Thanks.

On the paint colours again, I am now definitely going for the original white for my Zagato. Do you have a list of what numbers were produced in each colour?

Cheers

Michael

1968 Fulvia Sport S1 Zagato
roddy

« Reply #3 on: 26 August, 2009, 06:39:29 PM »

Hello Michael

I am sorry but I can't help you a great deal.   I have a note of two Lancia numbers for Bianco Saratoga Lancia 110 and Lancia 170.    Also a Lesonal number 251 and a Lechler number 1329.   But which is which, I do not know.   There are those out there who may be able to help you if you posted a request.  There just seems to be a greyish white shade and a creamy white shade, but it may be all in the paint mixer's scales?   
P.S. - if you do find out, please let me know - thank you.

Regards - Roddy

Roddy Young
Dunfermline, Fife

1970 Fulvia Sport S1 1.3S
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd