Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
29 March, 2024, 12:12:11 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: could it be the coil?  (Read 3609 times)
bill
« on: 20 August, 2009, 09:52:07 PM »

Hello again, the saga goes on, I thought I had my car nearly sorted now it seems as though it is back to square one. Just been talking to a friend who had the same problem ( the car seems to run fine and over 2000 revs. starts to miss) his problem was the coil, this is the only thing I have not renewed.
My question is do I have to buy a special coil or are they a standard coil?
Look foward to hearing from anyone.
Cheers.
Bill.

Jai Sharma
Megaposter

« Reply #1 on: 20 August, 2009, 10:00:19 PM »

As far as I am aware they are nothing special
fay66
Permanent resident

« Reply #2 on: 20 August, 2009, 11:22:28 PM »

Just a thought, does it have a ballast resistor? is this coil only for use with the ballast resistor set up Huh?
Reason being when I fitted electronic ignition which just uses the points for switching I had to fit a new 12v Coil. Undecided

Brian
8227 Cool

Own 1966 Fulvia 2C Berlina since 1997, back on road 11-1999.Known as "Fay"
2006 Renault Megane 1 5 Dci Sports Tourer
Dedra Technical Adviser
nistri
Megaposter

« Reply #3 on: 21 August, 2009, 06:37:03 AM »

Hi Bill,
Original Marelli coils are longlasting. Check that you don't have some aftermarket mod. Try to borrow a coil (that is known to work) and see if the problem persists. If the coil is somewhat faulty, I would expect the car would be difficult to start. I guess your HT and coil leads are all good.
Andrea

Andrea Nistri

Ardea S2
Appia S2
Fulvia GTE
Fulvia Sport 1.3 S
Fulvia Montecarlo
Fulvia Coupe 1.3 S
lancialulu
Press Officer
Permanent resident

« Reply #4 on: 21 August, 2009, 08:00:33 AM »

Run the engine in a darkened garage or at night outside and see if you can see sparking anywhere.

I agree with others coils from my experience either work or not. You need to see if it is an original marelli and it there is or should have been. Lancia fittment was without (if series 2 or 3 car at least). I would suspect a poor set of points, timing not set properly (too advanced?), dodgy capacitor or still got carb problems.

Tim

Bill, put a photo of this recalcitant car on the forum so we can what you are working with!

Its not the winning but taking part! or is it taking apart?
Lancias:
1955 Aurelia B12
1967 Fulvia 1.3HFR
1972 Fulvia 1600HF
1972 Fulvia Sport 1600
1983 HPE VX
1988 Delta 1.6GTie
1998 Zeta 21.  12v
bill
« Reply #5 on: 21 August, 2009, 09:01:19 AM »

Hi Tim, the mystery car is in the garage right now, I will take a couple of pics. when I get get it back.
I am not to good on the computer, could I send you am email with a pic. of the car maybe you could put it on the forum for me?
I am looking foward to the wigton car show Sunday, so lets hope the garage can sort things out for me.
Good idea re. starting the car in the garage, I am never usually beat, but this problem has beat me.
Keeping more than my fingers crossed.
Thank you for your time.
Bill.
angelorange
Megaposter

« Reply #6 on: 08 September, 2009, 11:06:10 AM »

Just fitted MSD Blaster SS to my Fulvia - works great!

It has male coil attachment though so you'd need a new coil lead end or use kit supplied with MSD to mod your own.

I'm entitled to my ignorance!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd