Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
29 March, 2024, 12:14:29 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Coupe S3 HGF  (Read 5795 times)
ian
« on: 04 August, 2009, 07:29:31 PM »

Had a good 200 mile trip from Cornwall to Box and then on to Malmesbury for a festival, trip home was OK, until Lewdown on the A30, foot down up the hill felt a slight misfire, bigger misfire and a load of steam from under the hood! Bugger!......back of the hose blew off, (the jubilee clip was rusted through underneath, where you can't see it!)  AA were duly called, towed to the local garage and then a tow back home, after a diagnosed HGF. Car runs OK, but bubbles and slight foaming up through the rad. I'm pretty sure that the head gasket was going before the hose blew, reckon that the increase in pressure put a bit of strain on the old clip.
So, manual in hand and a mate to help out, looks like I'll be having a go myself. Any tips on the procedure and suppliers, as well as any worthwhile jobs or mods that I can do at the same time will be gratefully received.  Grin
rogerelias
Rebel Poster

MY 1600HF IN HEARTBEAT GARAGE

« Reply #1 on: 04 August, 2009, 08:45:04 PM »

I would change the head bolt to allen bolts if not already changed, send a message to Peter Gerrish, he can advise which bolts to use, as i have forgotten its been so long since i have changed a head gasket, but if it does go, i have a tweaked head and silly cams, and intake manifold for webers, and extractor exhaust manifold, ready to fit for a tad more grunt on the 1600HF Roll Eyes

FULVIA 1600HF LUSSO
1958 VELOCETTE MAC
Triumph Bonneville t120v 1972
1968 MGC ROADSTER
1958 Series 2 Appia berlina
lancialulu
Press Officer
Permanent resident

« Reply #2 on: 04 August, 2009, 08:57:05 PM »

Agree - change the Fiat Head bolts for Hitensile Cap bolts - Omicron have them as a stock item and they can be torqued up to nealy twice the fiat bolts. Tourque wrench essential and tourque as per manual sequence in increasing increments.

You may have a warped head which will need skimming (with need for stripping valve gear).

Care with cam shaft timing and losing the chain into the sump (where it can shear off a small oil feed to the lower sprocket.

You will probaly need a full head gasket set, and use a silicon sealant sparingly for the inlet manifold gaskets to prevent introduction of air leaks which are troublesome to resolve.

Depending on the mileage you could look to decoke the head and regrind the valves. This will entail removing the camshafts - noting the location/orientations etc.

Note also the distributor rotor position wrt TDC with No1 cylinder valves shut.

Good luck.

Tim

Its not the winning but taking part! or is it taking apart?
Lancias:
1955 Aurelia B12
1967 Fulvia 1.3HFR
1972 Fulvia 1600HF
1972 Fulvia Sport 1600
1983 HPE VX
1988 Delta 1.6GTie
1998 Zeta 21.  12v
ncundy
Lapsed
Rebel Poster

« Reply #3 on: 04 August, 2009, 11:24:56 PM »

And get the radiator cleaned of any crud that may have been deposited in there - that was my mistake when I had a head gasket go. It promptly went again about 500 miles later because of my oversite  Tongue

1969 Fanalone, Mazda RX-8, Fiat Multipla
nistri
Megaposter

« Reply #4 on: 05 August, 2009, 06:50:11 AM »

In addition, I would also suggest that you get clear info on how to set up the valve timing (which is pretty difficult on a Fulvia) before taking everything apart.

Make detailed diagrams (or take photos) of camshaft/rockershaf fittings including dissimilar length bolts.

The blown gasket could be the opportunity to fit green valve seats compatible with unleaded fuel and give you peace of mind for a very long time.

A low-range high quality torq

Good luck
Andrea

Andrea Nistri

Ardea S2
Appia S2
Fulvia GTE
Fulvia Sport 1.3 S
Fulvia Montecarlo
Fulvia Coupe 1.3 S
nistri
Megaposter

« Reply #5 on: 05 August, 2009, 06:51:16 AM »

sorry for message cut off

use a very good torque wrench
Andrea

Andrea Nistri

Ardea S2
Appia S2
Fulvia GTE
Fulvia Sport 1.3 S
Fulvia Montecarlo
Fulvia Coupe 1.3 S
fay66
Permanent resident

« Reply #6 on: 05 August, 2009, 07:07:34 AM »

The blown gasket could be the opportunity to fit green valve seats compatible with unleaded fuel and give you peace of mind for a very long time.

A low-range high quality torq

Good luck
Andrea

I thought we'd come to some sort of concencus a few years ago that on Fulvia this wasn't necessary?
If that's not correct than perhaps it's time we had the discussion again for the benefit of owners who weren't party to the original controversy Roll Eyes

Brian
8227 Cool

Own 1966 Fulvia 2C Berlina since 1997, back on road 11-1999.Known as "Fay"
2006 Renault Megane 1 5 Dci Sports Tourer
Dedra Technical Adviser
peterbaker
Permanent resident

www.retro-speed.co.uk

« Reply #7 on: 05 August, 2009, 07:36:14 AM »

I thought tolerance to unleaded fuel depended on build date and model, ie series one ok, series two possible and series three definitely needs doing?

1961 Lancia Flavia 1.5 Berlina. FIAT Abarth. 1954 Daimler Conquest. 2003 MG ZT-T 135. 1998 SAAB 9-5 3 litre turbo.
nistri
Megaposter

« Reply #8 on: 05 August, 2009, 02:42:50 PM »

All HF models have hardened seats fully compatible with unleaded petrol.

The remaining S1 cars (1.1, 1.2 and 1.3 engines) should not need hardened seats, although there is no universal consensus on this issue and I know of Fulvia S1 owners who regularly use additives.

All S2 and S3 cars (1.3 engines) need additives. My personal experience (I have no financial benefit Smiley) is that ValvemasterPlus is the best as it also contains the octane booster.

It was interesting to find out that a well-known historic S1 HF found immediate relief from pinking with ValvemasterPlus added to the so-called high octane fuel sold by various garages.
Andrea

Andrea Nistri

Ardea S2
Appia S2
Fulvia GTE
Fulvia Sport 1.3 S
Fulvia Montecarlo
Fulvia Coupe 1.3 S
lancialulu
Press Officer
Permanent resident

« Reply #9 on: 05 August, 2009, 02:53:04 PM »

I use valvemasterplus on my 1.3 series 2 with good effect.

I have heard from the dutch that 1.3 engines are OK but then they do prefer the series 1's!

Tim

Its not the winning but taking part! or is it taking apart?
Lancias:
1955 Aurelia B12
1967 Fulvia 1.3HFR
1972 Fulvia 1600HF
1972 Fulvia Sport 1600
1983 HPE VX
1988 Delta 1.6GTie
1998 Zeta 21.  12v
ian
« Reply #10 on: 11 August, 2009, 08:09:08 PM »

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions. Parts all ordered and awaiting delivery. Hoping to start this weekend. I will try to take a few photo's for Fulvia HGF virgin's (like my self!)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd