Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
28 March, 2024, 10:25:19 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Body to subframe removal  (Read 7743 times)
angelorange
Megaposter

« on: 17 July, 2009, 02:11:14 PM »

Several pics in Enzo Altorios book suggest the entire engine, gearbox and subframe can be removed from the car.

I have always removed engine through the top but want to check subframe mounts and continue with rust proofing shell and frame.

What is the best way to do this - 6 big bolts and detatch brakes and steering box?

Cheers

I'm entitled to my ignorance!
ncundy
Lapsed
Rebel Poster

« Reply #1 on: 17 July, 2009, 03:21:31 PM »

I've pretty much always dropped the subframe to get at the engine.

Remove bonnet
6 bolts
Gearlever
Fuel / brakes / heater / fuel hoses
Steering and clutch
Tachometer, speedo and other instruments feed
Battery connections
Exhaust
and the thing that I always forget, the little bloody wire on the reversing switch at the back of the gearbox. I am very good at mending them though  Wink

You may have to take the radiator / oil cooler off depending on clearance.

Close the doors, then put the hand brake on and chock the back wheels. Put a jack under the front of the subframe or it will pivot foward onto your toes.

Get two chaps 'round and lift the front end and pull the subframe out. I've got a one ton hoist on an H joist in my roof so with a small attachment on the bulkhead it is a one man job  Grin

Support the bodyshell on a trestle or something under the front bulkhead.

If you are going to remove the engine I would always do this - access is brilliant and you can also give everything a good clean as well as giving the subframe and the pickup points a good once over.

* DSCF0182.JPG (146.1 KB, 800x600 - viewed 1052 times.)

* DSCF1212.JPG (132.11 KB, 800x600 - viewed 953 times.)

1969 Fanalone, Mazda RX-8, Fiat Multipla
Richard Fridd
Permanent resident

« Reply #2 on: 17 July, 2009, 04:11:25 PM »

i have not tried that method before.whats 'record' time for that process i wonder?

Richard Nevison Fridd                                                                      Happy Lancia, Happy Life
angelorange
Megaposter

« Reply #3 on: 17 July, 2009, 04:26:19 PM »

Grin excellent advice and pics!
cheers

I'm entitled to my ignorance!
dhla40

« Reply #4 on: 17 July, 2009, 04:56:04 PM »

Where do you attach the hoist to lift the car off the subframe? 

Sean 

1976 1.3s coupe
1973 1.3s coupe
1982 montecarlo project
1976 alfa GT
1981 alfa spider
ncundy
Lapsed
Rebel Poster

« Reply #5 on: 17 July, 2009, 05:56:23 PM »

It takes about an hour or two to disconnect everything, but the act of lifting the shell and wheeling the subframe out only takes about 10 mins.

On an S1 if you take the heater collector box off and the heater on the inside there is a big hole in the top of the bulk head. I made a spreader plate (just a two foot piece of steel bar with feet welded on the end) which sits on the inside of the car. Then I just lower the chain through the hole and clip the hook around the bar and winch. On an S2 it would probably be possible to make up a plate that bolts over the heater opening with a tag on you could put a hook on. I'm sure there will be other ways to fashion something that don't require the heater to be removed, may be a spreader plate or padded sling under the front cross member (above the grill). Without the subframe the front is very light. But a couple of chaps will lift the front end no problem.

1969 Fanalone, Mazda RX-8, Fiat Multipla
DavidLaver
Permanent resident

« Reply #6 on: 17 July, 2009, 07:16:21 PM »

The major time in this sort of job is "hang the bikes up, put the garden tools away in the shed, fix the leak in the shed roof, clean up the paint spilt off the shed shelf while mending the roof, and then wait for the next free afternoon..."

Nice photos - and that subframe is a great bit of design... 

Thinking about it - what jobs on a Fulvia make you wonder what they were smoking?

Strange thing to like, but I do like how the engine tips to that side which to me makes sense for a RHD car - and I always smile at the sight of a leaf spring peeking out - one of those things for which there is great predudice for all it makes a lot of engineering sense.

David

David Laver, Lewisham.
fay66
Permanent resident

« Reply #7 on: 18 July, 2009, 01:19:54 AM »

Where do you attach the hoist to lift the car off the subframe?  

Sean  

Here's what my Series 1 Manual has on the subject.

Another method of lifting the body off is a padded cradle fitted to the wheel arch both sides with a chain up to an angle iron bar with a central lifting point on the bar attached to a hoist.

Brian
8227 Cool

* img750 copy.jpg (119.56 KB, 500x731 - viewed 832 times.)

* img751 copy.jpg (122.05 KB, 501x732 - viewed 625 times.)
« Last Edit: 18 July, 2009, 01:24:07 AM by fay66 » Logged

Own 1966 Fulvia 2C Berlina since 1997, back on road 11-1999.Known as "Fay"
2006 Renault Megane 1 5 Dci Sports Tourer
Dedra Technical Adviser
Neil Lewis
« Reply #8 on: 19 July, 2009, 09:53:07 PM »

I always used to do the lifting from underneath the car. I had a 4 inch square fence post which fitted from sill to sill and put that under the car just behind the gear lever extension.  Then just put my trolley jack under that and pumped away.  Some concrete blocks in the boot helped keep the back of the car on the ground.  To make a bit more clearance at the front (because this lifts in an arc) I took the front wheels off before starting (wishbones on the ground) and then levered the subframe out using a long pry bar to slide it forward one side at a time.  That left some odd-shaped marks on my drive!  A sheet of aluminium down the front of the radiator would stop it catching on the front valance.

I know it sounds a bit odd but it worked well for me and I could remove the entire engine/subframe in about three hours.  Of course the first time I had to loosen all the seized bolts but putting loads of grease on them afterwards made them easy to remove on subsequent occasions.

Like it says in all the Haynes Manuals, refitting was the reverse of removal :-)

Neil
Jai Sharma
Megaposter

« Reply #9 on: 21 July, 2009, 10:07:55 AM »

I followed Neil's method except I left the wheels on, which meant I could wheel the subframe out (put a small jack under the front bit). Weight in the boot sounds a very good idea, as lifting the car this high made it a bit light on the rear wheels and no-one wants to see a Fulvia see-saw.

Once out access is great.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd