Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
29 March, 2024, 04:55:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: subframe drain holes  (Read 2738 times)
dhla40

« on: 10 July, 2009, 06:02:12 PM »

A few weeks ago I read an article on the web about drilling drain holes in the subframe but I can't seem to find it again.  My subframe looks to be in good shape and I want to keep it that way, what is considered best practice, drill holes or keep it sealed up?

Sean

1976 1.3s coupe
1973 1.3s coupe
1982 montecarlo project
1976 alfa GT
1981 alfa spider
Richard Fridd
Permanent resident

« Reply #1 on: 10 July, 2009, 06:28:16 PM »

when i bought my S1 fulvia it still had its excellent original subframe fitted -complete with model number, factory painted in white-which i have preserved.to keep it this way i poured hot waxoyl into the oval holes in the tops of the rear members [as these seem to be most vulnerable to rust]and swilled it about by tipping the frame this way and that and then i think i sealed the holes.cant remember if i drilled other holes but the only way if frame is in situ i suppose

Richard Nevison Fridd                                                                      Happy Lancia, Happy Life
fay66
Permanent resident

« Reply #2 on: 10 July, 2009, 07:25:10 PM »

From what I remember there are plenty of ways for water to get in but no way for the water to get out, so it would seem sensible to drill a couple of holes in the lower side of the subframe. Must get around to checking mine sometime Roll Eyes

Brian

8227 Cool

Own 1966 Fulvia 2C Berlina since 1997, back on road 11-1999.Known as "Fay"
2006 Renault Megane 1 5 Dci Sports Tourer
Dedra Technical Adviser
Neil
Permanent resident

« Reply #3 on: 10 July, 2009, 08:14:36 PM »

I remember Barry Waterhouse and others saying the holes were in the wrong place, they should have been on the bottom not the top of the two 'arms' of the subframe, as they had been originally drawn that way, but were made incorrectly.  If the subframe is removed from the car, then pour in lots of the waxoyl, warmed as suggested, stand a can a bucket of hot water as it flows more easily when warm, then move the subframe around to fill all the sections and turn over too to preserve the top as that can rust.

If the subframe it attached to the car this is somewhat more difficult!  I think I put some tape over the upper holes to stop water getting in, I am not sure where would be best to put drain holes on the lower, if you fill the subframe with wax and water gets in can the water get out?

I did hear of using expanding foam in a subframe, I am not sure if that is a good idea, if water gets in and is then trapped by the foam and the steel is kept permanently wet, which then leads to you know what....

Neil   

1973 Fulvia S2 1.3
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd