Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
28 March, 2024, 08:54:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Prices of PF Coupes  (Read 10282 times)
Lindsay
« on: 04 July, 2009, 07:28:33 PM »

What is the market rate for these at the moment?  A 1961 2.5. LHD. Struturally and mechanically good but with tired paint?
Sliding Pillar
Permanent resident

« Reply #1 on: 04 July, 2009, 08:10:37 PM »

There are a few for sale in Europe at the moment, prices range from 12,000 to 20,000euros for nice ones (well thats what the discriptions say!) so somewhere around the £10K should be about right. Don't forget they were very expensive when new so are not cheap to fix if there are any issues. Pay careful attention to the lower front ball joints and brakes both very expensive to sort out.

1955 Aurelia
1961 Lamborghini
Lindsay
« Reply #2 on: 05 July, 2009, 05:41:54 AM »

Thanks for the reply. I've noticed this one :

http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C65241/

Opening price from seller is £10,200.  So perhaps price is about right. One to ponder. Have fancied one of these for a long while but not sure I have the "guts" to take the plunge. Bad enough trying to source spares for the 2000 coupe, never mind one of these!
Dilambdaman
Permanent resident

« Reply #3 on: 05 July, 2009, 01:37:05 PM »

Go for it Lindsay!

I had a similar dilemma over my Dilambda, dreamed for years of owning a vintage Lancia and when finally everything fell into place, taking the plunge wasn't exactly easy, especially convincing Margaret!

Now? Modestine is very much the other lady in my life and despite all the ups and downs (very down at the moment!) I wouldn't be without her.

And, as far as parts are concerned they don't come much more difficult than a Dilambda but its proved to be definitely a case of were there's a will there's a way.

Oh, and here's what I took on!

Robin.

* Lancia07.jpg (57.04 KB, 640x437 - viewed 410 times.)

* Lancia06.jpg (53.72 KB, 640x440 - viewed 415 times.)
« Last Edit: 05 July, 2009, 01:39:20 PM by Dilambdaman » Logged

Robin Lacey 3222

1932 Dilambda
1992 Y10 GTie
2012 Delta Mk3
fay66
Permanent resident

« Reply #4 on: 05 July, 2009, 05:03:22 PM »

Thanks for the reply. I've noticed this one :

http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C65241/

Opening price from seller is £10,200.  So perhaps price is about right. One to ponder. Have fancied one of these for a long while but not sure I have the "guts" to take the plunge. Bad enough trying to source spares for the 2000 coupe, never mind one of these!
Just be a little careful, sounds very much like the one that was for sale at the NEC in November, unfortunately I can't find my photo of it the check the registration number; The one at the NEC was a similar prices and if it is the same car, they are being somewhat economical with the truth to say the least with the description of the paintwork.
I didn't seem in bad condition otherwise so I suppose if you factor in the cost of a good respray it would still be worth having.

Just found my photos and it is the same car, photos are not very good but enough in one to see the condition of the paintwork Cry

Brian
8227 Cool

* Flaminia poor paint 1 Red copy.jpg (157.08 KB, 700x558 - viewed 427 times.)

* Flaminia poor paint 2 Red copy.jpg (100.31 KB, 900x675 - viewed 445 times.)

Own 1966 Fulvia 2C Berlina since 1997, back on road 11-1999.Known as "Fay"
2006 Renault Megane 1 5 Dci Sports Tourer
Dedra Technical Adviser
Lindsay
« Reply #5 on: 05 July, 2009, 07:50:56 PM »

Hi Brian - one of the great benefits of being into Lancias is the folk who you can talk to who know most of the cars in the UK!!!

Given the state of the paintwork....and in fairness they aren't saying it is good - what should be a fair price? 

The paint on the front wing is as bad.

Apparently much work done by Richard Thorne...........take from that what you will.......
Sliding Pillar
Permanent resident

« Reply #6 on: 05 July, 2009, 08:31:52 PM »

Having owned all the various variants of Flaminia I would say that the Coupe is the best of the bunch...........so go for it!

1955 Aurelia
1961 Lamborghini
fay66
Permanent resident

« Reply #7 on: 05 July, 2009, 11:30:03 PM »

Having owned all the various variants of Flaminia I would say that the Coupe is the best of the bunch...........so go for it!

Lindsay,
I would agree with Ade, as long as you go into with your eyes open I would say the asking price is fair, it's certainly usable as it is, but I can't see you driving it too long before the paintwork would offend, ( it certainly would me!) then your into a possible £5-6K respray, what does a good respray cost these days?  but the Flaminia PF itself, Magic Grin although my pechant as usual is for Berlinas Cheesy

Brian
8227 Cool

Dedra Technical Adviser
Dilambdaman
Permanent resident

« Reply #8 on: 06 July, 2009, 05:53:59 AM »

Horses for courses me thinks.
Whilst not denying that there is a great deal of pleasure in owning a car with pristine paintwork it won't make any difference to the driving experience. David Mead has an Augusta in far from concours condition but the charm it exudes and the pleasure he gets from driving and fettling it is palpable.

It reminds me of when I hankered after a V12 Ferrari and all I could afford was a bottom of the pile 250 GTE. Admittedly it was in very good condition but the point is that it had that glorious engine and cache and if you closed your eyes when starting it up it could have been a 250 GTO or LM!

I've owned and driven on a daily basis a number of scruffy Lancia and never regretted it for the shear delight in ownership. A Flaminia PF Coupe is a thing of beauty in my eyes whatever the condition and this one looks to be an eminent candidate for a rolling restoration. At the right price, and I don't know what that is, it has to be worth a go.

Robin. 

Robin Lacey 3222

1932 Dilambda
1992 Y10 GTie
2012 Delta Mk3
chugga boom
Non-LMC Seller
Permanent resident

« Reply #9 on: 06 July, 2009, 08:33:32 PM »

I agree with robin, rolling restorations are great fun, look at my augusta, bought very cheap, needed work, scruffy bodilly and interior but gives you great satisfaction doing a bit that improves it and still able to drive it round, i'm pretty fanatical when i do a restorations (so i'm told  Roll Eyes) and the cars i've done in the past i've been accused of going a little OTT with them, however i enjoy building cars to the best of my ability, getting back to the point though when i bought the augusta it gave me by far the biggest smile out of all my cars and yet was probably the roughest out of them all, its still far from concours , my dads car is concours but truth be known i prefere mine as its a bit like my famous trousers ....... comfortable  Cheesy , i sold an absolutly mint fulvia to buy it, most thought i was insane because of the differance in condition between the 2 but i've got what i wanted and 2yrs on i'm still grinning , if its what you want GET IT BOUGHT!!! another may not be round the corner!!! good luck

1935 augusta lusso (chugga)
1935 belna saloon
1935 augusta lusso
1938 ardenne
1939 aprilia lusso
1958 appia s2
1963 appia s3 
195? appia camioncino
1972 fulvia 1600HF
1976 fulvia coupe
194? ardea SUV  "THE BEAST!!!"
fay66
Permanent resident

« Reply #10 on: 06 July, 2009, 11:19:07 PM »

I don't disagree with Robin, Chugga or anyone else for that matter, and it isn't the first time I've driven wrecks purely for the pleasure to be derived from the experience itself, including a 1932 Austin 10/4 back in the 1950's that my brother, for reasons known only to himself, had painted Lilac and black!

But something clearly as nice as the PF, my preference would be to see it looking as it once no doubt did.
Each to his own.

Brian
8227 Cool

* Me & Austin 10 at TA copy Reduc.jpg (96.5 KB, 400x283 - viewed 438 times.)

Dedra Technical Adviser
DavidLaver
Permanent resident

« Reply #11 on: 08 July, 2009, 12:24:54 AM »

There will always be a huge premium on a really properly restored car, which is why I bought the Aurelia everyone else was walking past and had an enormous amount of fun from it.  With paint like that you'll be WILLING other drivers to hit you so you can get some of it done on their insurance.  You'll not worry about supermarket car parks, you'll leave it in the street visiting friends, stone chips won't notice.  Odds on you'll use it more with paint like that than with a 6K bill fresh in the memory.  Its also that class of car where the paint condition matters a lot less than, for example, a Sierra where it "being a well kept and completely straight example" might be all that makes it special.  A Flamina in ANY condition is a rare and special car.

The big "but" is to take it for a drive and make sure its alive.  With Aurelias problems with brakes and driveline are all too obvious and getting it all to work properly can be a long haul.  Lots of "freshly restored" cars turned out to be complete dogs: the metal and paint is really only half the job.

The best advice I had was from John Savage - "does it have an MOT, has it done some recent milage".  Cars like this don't wear out, its lack of use that's the real killer.

Others will have to give you the "what to look out for" list - but I'd be surprised if it wasn't immediately obvious from a short test drive if it was going to be a good'un or a world of pain.  If it does drive well you'll fall hook line and sinker and purchase price and ongoing TLC will be forgotten in the blindness of the devoted.

David

David Laver, Lewisham.
DavidLaver
Permanent resident

« Reply #12 on: 08 July, 2009, 12:30:01 AM »

Like any old car:

- does it drive
- is the structure sound
- any expensive bits missing
- estimate what work YOU want to do on it (there's no "official" standard)
- is the total affordable
- alternatives for the total spend

David Laver, Lewisham.
DavidLaver
Permanent resident

« Reply #13 on: 08 July, 2009, 12:42:40 AM »

http://www.auto-invest.co.uk/vehicle_detail.asp?VehicleID=138

Seems to tick all the boxes !!   MUST be worth a look, if only for the education...

Something else to consider is painting the worst bits only.   There ARE still painters out there who can match and blend.   What makes a "complete" respray so expensive is taking the car to bits to do it, so the question is can you sort the worst of the paint without taking the glass out wrestling with all that chrome?

David

David Laver, Lewisham.
fay66
Permanent resident

« Reply #14 on: 08 July, 2009, 01:06:35 AM »

http://www.auto-invest.co.uk/vehicle_detail.asp?VehicleID=138

Seems to tick all the boxes !!   MUST be worth a look, if only for the education...

Something else to consider is painting the worst bits only.   There ARE still painters out there who can match and blend.   What makes a "complete" respray so expensive is taking the car to bits to do it, so the question is can you sort the worst of the paint without taking the glass out wrestling with all that chrome?

David

Certainly looks better in these photos than in the metal, but as you say if need be just get the really bad bits repainted, at least you can see what you're getting for your money.

Brian
8227 Cool

Dedra Technical Adviser
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd