Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
18 April, 2024, 05:19:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Electrical Problems on a VW Passat ....  (Read 3196 times)
sparehead3
Administrator
Permanent resident

« on: 29 June, 2009, 11:54:56 AM »

It's a bit off topic but I'd just thought I'd "share" : you can a) laugh at the design fault or b) provide tips for cleaning the plugs or c) both Smiley

My car is 12 years old and has covered 211k - so not worth that much (so I'm not crying) but is : reliable and cheap and can be driven and parked anywhere Smiley

Anyway, underneath the battery (which is in front of the windscreen) are two drain plugs that can get blocked - because they don't let the crud go through. Result is the battery area fills with water and when that is full, it goes into the car Sad You can read about it here : http://www.weirdlittlebiscuit.com/passat/leak/

I've sorted the drain plugs and the been drying the car for months (seemingly). Stupidly though, they put the control box for the doors, windows, alarms, interior lights UNDER the passenger footwell and when the leak occurs this "sealed" box also fills up with water and you end up with a crazy car acting on it's own when being driven or when stationary (due to the water slopping about).

My question is the connectors to this box (in the second photo) look intact apart from being a bit sludgy - I've sprayed it with WD40 - is there anything else I can do?

I've got a new control box from ebay but don't fancy replacing all the wiring (rather buy another car TBH!)

In reality it's quite amazing the thing managed to work as long as it did - I've literally taken a BUCKET of water out of the footwell !

* PassatJune2009 002 small.jpg (83.43 KB, 653x490 - viewed 327 times.)

* PassatJune2009 001 small.jpg (105.53 KB, 653x490 - viewed 331 times.)
« Last Edit: 29 June, 2009, 11:59:59 AM by sparehead3 » Logged

Regards,
Steve Pilgrim
Neil
Permanent resident

« Reply #1 on: 29 June, 2009, 12:33:32 PM »

Sounds a familiar problem, my brother in laws Passat TDi estate has suffered the same last year the water came through the heater into the footwells during a heavy downpour ended up with almost foot of water in front sloshing about!  Also took months to dry out, the car still works despite this, check the drainage holes under the front screen typical on many Audis (100) and VWs (Corrado), which reminds me of the drain hose on the heater box on S2 Fulvias which can also block up with compost.

Neil   

1973 Fulvia S2 1.3
sparehead3
Administrator
Permanent resident

« Reply #2 on: 29 June, 2009, 01:32:54 PM »

Yes, it's just the "comfort control module" that is drenched. The car is otherwise fine ! To buy the box from VW would be more than the car is worth so I'm hoping a box from a scrapped passat will do the trick and the rest of the wiring is going to be Ok.

Regards,
Steve Pilgrim
fay66
Permanent resident

« Reply #3 on: 29 June, 2009, 02:35:55 PM »

Did you ever read Jacks "Living with a Dedra" ?when a similar thing occurred, With Dedra the fuse box lies backwards and any water leaking through the windscreen finishes up inside with no way out, unlike your Passat, this is disaster to a Dedra, and creates all sorts of odd things happening to the electrics and the only cure is to replace the fusebox.

Brian
8227 Cool

Own 1966 Fulvia 2C Berlina since 1997, back on road 11-1999.Known as "Fay"
2006 Renault Megane 1 5 Dci Sports Tourer
Dedra Technical Adviser
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd