Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
28 March, 2024, 04:55:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: They don't know what they are missing.  (Read 13404 times)
fay66
Permanent resident

« on: 26 June, 2009, 09:48:26 AM »

Just had a look at the latest stats and with the large amount of varied subjects & the response these generate, I feel sad that we still only have 314 members of the Forum which is probably something like 20%? of the LMC Membership, is it that we're not pushing the Forum hard enough? (I can't remember anything recent in "Viva Lancia")  a lot of members who are not PC literate or just not interested?
Or is it the case That they just don't know what their missing Huh?
It has been said time and again how helpful the collective Knowledge on the forum has been to members, just look at the traffic generated by Super Chuggas restorations! David Lavers trials, tribulations and great solutions  with his  Augusta special, Neil cundy's Fulvia ,Restoration, and the ongoing "what the hell is it", problems of Robin Lacey and Modestine!, just to mention a few of the great subjects of the postings on the Forum.
If we didn't love our Lancias the way we do, then there would be many bonfires around the kingdom and men (mainly) twiddling their collective thumbs Grin
Brian
8227 Cool 

Own 1966 Fulvia 2C Berlina since 1997, back on road 11-1999.Known as "Fay"
2006 Renault Megane 1 5 Dci Sports Tourer
Dedra Technical Adviser
sparehead3
Administrator
Permanent resident

« Reply #1 on: 26 June, 2009, 10:00:31 AM »

Brian, I have to agree. I wonder whether it's like Lancia = Rust .... Forum = Nasty Comments / Arguments and we can't get rid of that.

I've always thought that VL! should include excerts from the Forum (like the topics you've mentioned) or should take the interesting threads and get a full article written.

Perhaps something that hasn't been said is that you can just "read" the forum quite happily (like VL!) there's no requirement to post anything and (just like VL!) you never know what is going to be posted ....

Footnote: Just looking at Chugga's thread there are now 83 messages, it's been read 2036 times and has been running since September last year ....
« Last Edit: 26 June, 2009, 10:06:02 AM by sparehead3 » Logged

Regards,
Steve Pilgrim
Lindsay
« Reply #2 on: 26 June, 2009, 08:04:40 PM »

I've been disappointed with the general lack of activity on the forum to be honest. Can go for days without many postings. Compare it for instance with the Fiat Barchetta forum. Can't be many more of those on the roads than Lancias but it is always buzzing. Perhaps it is down to too many Integrale owners being elsewhere and too many of the older cars being owned by folks who don't want to mix it with the commoners!!
chugga boom
Non-LMC Seller
Permanent resident

« Reply #3 on: 26 June, 2009, 08:09:22 PM »

well i have to agree, its rare that a day goes by without me having a look on here, when vl comes through the post i just have a quick flick through and if i'm honest usually at the classifieds then dont bother again (unless there is something of interest to read), i far prefere reading others on goin tales and its good to see others problems being diagnosed by others experience, its good to see other members tricks and tips, you may not agree with all of them but thats life!, it is a shame there arn't more on here but the forum maybe scared with its past, unfortunate but possible, and i have only got praise for it, this forum is responcibloe for me bringing 4 more lancia's home so full marks  Grin, both my augustas and an aprilia came to me thanks to a tip off from ade rudler, and the ardea (THE BEAST)thanks to david laver so low numbers on here might not be such a bad thing for me , meens i can carry on hoovering up lancias from all over the country without others being tipped off hehe Cheesy, always thought it would be good to (print off) something like niel cundy"s resto and shove it in vl 2 show whats going on on here, maybe a center spread in a copy of vl with various threads, not the whole story just enough to encourage people to log in and see the outcome Smiley another good point is that its also very encouraging when others chip in with their comments and advice, i was really pleased when i had advice on colours for the gussey and the possitive feedback i've had about the truck and the way its stating to look, its good to share your thoughts with others
« Last Edit: 26 June, 2009, 08:11:54 PM by chugga boom » Logged

1935 augusta lusso (chugga)
1935 belna saloon
1935 augusta lusso
1938 ardenne
1939 aprilia lusso
1958 appia s2
1963 appia s3 
195? appia camioncino
1972 fulvia 1600HF
1976 fulvia coupe
194? ardea SUV  "THE BEAST!!!"
ncundy
Lapsed
Rebel Poster

« Reply #4 on: 26 June, 2009, 08:54:17 PM »

I agree with all. As Chugga and Brian have said, it's a source of great information and encouragement and not a little good banter, and yes they are missing something, yet as Lindsey says it woefully under utilised by the club as a whole. But only the users will change that as the committee and those that are on it (with perhaps 2 notable exceptions and Don/Diana) and President and Chairman have never attempted to promote or support it.

One or two of those elected officials who could (should?) offer support often browse the forum but never utter a word - presumably they are learning something from what is posted and enjoying the enthusiasum? Wouldn't it be refreshing if they would use their position to encourage others in the club to have a go for the good of the club via the mag to give the forum a degree of club legitimacy and credibility.

Not sure about Lindsey commenst about "commoners". I think its more about some people not using computors or being comfortable with using any forum, rather than model aparthied (my experience anyway).

Hopefully we will get some positive news at the AGM, but it seems along time ago since Chris, Lee and I wrote a piece for the mag.

All the best to the users !

1969 Fanalone, Mazda RX-8, Fiat Multipla
chugga boom
Non-LMC Seller
Permanent resident

« Reply #5 on: 26 June, 2009, 10:43:21 PM »

commoner hmmmm i asked my girlfriend if i was a commoner, she replied no darling your certainaly a rare breed  Roll Eyes, not sure if that was a compliment though  Huh? i totally agree with neal that more could be done by president and chairman to promote this area though, don and diana are both very active on here so hats off atleast they do promote it, more should definatly be done to bring this part of the lmc MORE ALIVE!!! its good now and no complaints about the forum its self its brilliant but more activity would be better, think i just wanna see more resto's  Cheesy and anyone else reading MORE PICTURES PLEASE!!!! DONT BE SHY!!  Wink

1935 belna saloon
1935 augusta lusso
1938 ardenne
1939 aprilia lusso
1958 appia s2
1963 appia s3 
195? appia camioncino
1972 fulvia 1600HF
1976 fulvia coupe
Chris5090
« Reply #6 on: 26 June, 2009, 10:55:18 PM »

As a relative newcomer i like the forum very much, but i do think it would be nice to get the odd extract from here into VL, mainly to get people more involved in the Club overall. The first i knew of the LMC was when i googled Lancia Clubs, so the website and this forum were my first ports of call! It would be nice to see a few more ongoing project from people just to spur me on with mine! (But please not to many Classifieds, i'll never finish the Delta if i keep buying more cars!)

think i just wanna see more resto's 
    Surely you mean Buy not see?!  Grin
chugga boom
Non-LMC Seller
Permanent resident

« Reply #7 on: 26 June, 2009, 11:01:24 PM »

damn and blast i've been busted again!!!! Cheesy

1935 belna saloon
1935 augusta lusso
1938 ardenne
1939 aprilia lusso
1958 appia s2
1963 appia s3 
195? appia camioncino
1972 fulvia 1600HF
1976 fulvia coupe
Dilambdaman
Permanent resident

« Reply #8 on: 27 June, 2009, 10:36:00 PM »

It would be good to see greater participation on the website and I think it lamentable that with one or two notable exceptions the LMC officers and committee members choose not to have a presence on it. They must be computer users as they all have email addresses!

The forum will doubtless get a mention in the various reports at the AGM which will, I'm sure, amuse some of us.

However, its not an unusual state of affairs. I visited a site recently which has almost 10,000 members and a thread was running bemoaning the fact that, although it was visited by hundreds of those members on a daily basis, only around 30 were regular posters.

So, its just we happy band for the foreseeable future I guess at least until the powers that be sign up and Viva Lancia promotes it each month.

Curious ain't it!

Robin.

Robin Lacey 3222

1932 Dilambda
1992 Y10 GTie
2012 Delta Mk3
sparehead3
Administrator
Permanent resident

« Reply #9 on: 28 June, 2009, 08:57:33 PM »

I suspect that it's true of most forums : how ever many users there are only ever a few posters. But I'd agree with all the points raised - as everyone seems to. As a suggestion for someone : perhaps we could get a regular "Forum Hot Topics" in VL! every month.

Here's the starter for June:
Topic + views
Lancia cars seen on the road  20702
The "WARBY" Lounge  5702
Fanalone restoration  5501
Modestine   4181
Thesis in the UK  3332
Appia radiator louvre thermostat  2986
Lancias in Auto Italia  2740
Bristol Area  2707
back on the road ..........fingers crossed  2653
Lancia Video Group
« Last Edit: 28 June, 2009, 09:00:00 PM by sparehead3 » Logged

Regards,
Steve Pilgrim
chugga boom
Non-LMC Seller
Permanent resident

« Reply #10 on: 28 June, 2009, 09:12:03 PM »

the people not posting thing can also be related to them thinking others arnt interested to here, this is exactly what i thought before i started posting, didnt think anyone would be interested until someone on here put it to me that if your interested in other people's projects then why wouldnt others be interested in yours, which is very true, i dont just read about the cars that interest me the most i read all the topics as i feel its gud to see were all in the same boat 1 way or another  Grin

1935 belna saloon
1935 augusta lusso
1938 ardenne
1939 aprilia lusso
1958 appia s2
1963 appia s3 
195? appia camioncino
1972 fulvia 1600HF
1976 fulvia coupe
fay66
Permanent resident

« Reply #11 on: 28 June, 2009, 10:49:50 PM »

the people not posting thing can also be related to them thinking others arnt interested to here, this is exactly what i thought before i started posting, didnt think anyone would be interested until someone on here put it to me that if your interested in other people's projects then why wouldnt others be interested in yours, which is very true, i dont just read about the cars that interest me the most i read all the topics as i feel its gud to see were all in the same boat 1 way or another  Grin

Sad I know, but when I turn my PC on I look at my emails, the Spam Folder just in case anything has got in there by mistake, and then I read all the postings on the Forum.

Brian
8227 Cool

Own 1966 Fulvia 2C Berlina since 1997, back on road 11-1999.Known as "Fay"
2006 Renault Megane 1 5 Dci Sports Tourer
Dedra Technical Adviser
Harvey
« Reply #12 on: 29 June, 2009, 08:48:51 AM »

Confession of an addicted administrator: the forum is my home page on my PC. I've just changed my phone, and now have a proper browser, so I'm finding myself checking the forum when I'm out and about, too.  Embarrassed
St Volumex
Lapsed
Rebel Poster

Owner of RetroPart

« Reply #13 on: 29 June, 2009, 11:55:04 AM »

I love the forum like the best of us, but time becomes the essence when making lots of posts.

I think too that not everyone is comfortable getting on a 'Speakers Corner Soap Box' and would rather read others posts instead.

But while it's up to us to post material on the Forum, it's also up to us to send stuff on to Jack and "Vva-Lancia" too.  I did this with my preview article on the nouvo Delta last year which was hardly a 'tweet'.  Cheesy

Kindest regards,

Guy McDougall
www.facebook.com/RetroPart
Rare Parts for Rare Machines
Appia Coupé S3 (Rosina), Appia Berlina S3 (La Giaconda), Fulvia 1.3S 5 spd coupé (Tigger, belongs to Carol), Beta Spyder S2 (Vivaldi), Montecarlo Spyder S2, HPE VX (Pugsly) etc
ncundy
Lapsed
Rebel Poster

« Reply #14 on: 29 June, 2009, 12:23:02 PM »

it's also up to us to send stuff on to Jack and "Vva-Lancia" too.  
Kindest regards,

Yes but.....The point I (and others I think) are making is that the Website and forum will become (already is becoming) the primary shop window for the club, both in attracting new members and providing a repository for knowledge. Individual members writing articles for Jack and and VL is to be encouraged, but what I think gets our collective goat is that it seems to be seen as just that, an individual endeavour. Whilst doffing my hat to Rodders and Harvey for they work they do to gives us the sandpit to play in - with respect, this is important and fundamental enough to the long term health of the club that it is a club endeavour, but you'd struggle to arrive at that conclusion as a spectator looking for a bit of club endorsement.

The club being the elected members !

Now Neil, step away from that soap box  Grin
« Last Edit: 29 June, 2009, 12:24:48 PM by ncundy » Logged

1969 Fanalone, Mazda RX-8, Fiat Multipla
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd