Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
28 March, 2024, 09:16:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hydragas / Hydrolastic pump  (Read 5313 times)
Neil Lewis
« on: 12 June, 2009, 09:23:39 PM »

I know it's a bit off topic but does anyone here have a hydragas/hydrolastic pump I could buy or borrow.  I have to take the suspension off my Rover 100 (Metro) and it can't be done without letting all the fluid out and afterwards pumping it back up again.

Many local garages have these things but that means driving the car with no fluid in the system, ie, on the bump stops.  So it would be much more convenient to do it myself.

Thanks
Neil
Neil Lewis
« Reply #1 on: 17 June, 2009, 11:07:30 PM »

I've now done a deal with my local garage.  They have an original BMC Hydravac pump and, if I can repair it, I can use it whenever I like.  So I have this device in my shed ready to strip down.  Wish me luck.

Neil
ian
« Reply #2 on: 19 June, 2009, 10:50:17 PM »

I could also do with one as well, the MG F is quite a bit lower than it should be!
Good luck on the rebuild  Wink
Neil Lewis
« Reply #3 on: 21 June, 2009, 11:29:14 PM »

The pump up side appears to be working correctly bu the vacuum side was seized solid.  I stripped it down this afternoon and found it's a masterpiece of fifties/sixties design with a bent meta frame containing all the gubbins with sheet steel panel self-tappered on.  I managed to get the brass vacuum pump apart and it looks like it will be OK with just a good clean, ie, no new seals required.  The reason it was seized is the copius amounts of grease put in, presumably to keep it free, had absorbed water and rusted the pump shaft.

Even when I've fixed it, it will still belong to the "garage" but the deal was that I could borrow it whenever I wanted.  I have a gallon of hydragas fluid so I might be able to pump up your "F".  Where are you located?

Neil
ian
« Reply #4 on: 21 June, 2009, 11:40:17 PM »

Unfortunately Cornwall Neil, but I do occasionally get up to Bath and Swindon area, Any excuse for a drive  Grin
Neil Lewis
« Reply #5 on: 22 June, 2009, 10:47:50 PM »

Well Swindon is only 30 miles from me on the west side of Oxford.  I travel there quite often and it's an easy journet so long as not at rush hour.

Anyway, let me fix the pump first, then we can see.

Neil
ian
« Reply #6 on: 11 August, 2009, 08:14:32 PM »

Neil, any luck on the Hydragas pump?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd