Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
29 March, 2024, 08:00:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: BRAKE DRUMS......  (Read 3053 times)
chugga boom
Non-LMC Seller
Permanent resident

« on: 17 May, 2009, 08:35:11 PM »

70 yrs on and there seems to be a shortage of good brake drums for augustas, my father was chatting to a firm at the weekend on the possibility of re manufacturing new drums in alloy with liners as per original drums, they qouted 340 GBP each incl vat, however if the order where greater than 3 he could negotiate with the foundry on the price of casting (basically the bigger the order the cheaper the final price), is anyone other than me interested in any new drums?? i would do this as a totally non profit venture , if anyone is interested then let me know, if maybe 10 or more drums were ordered then i would hope the price would drop conciderably, i know we have about 10 spare drums ALL are basically scrap with either liners that are over machined and too thin or corrosion between the drum and liner which are both typical problems with these drums,

email me at

james.parry2@tesco.net         or a pm on here, or phone me 01978 757052 work 01978 352890 home thanks james

1935 augusta lusso (chugga)
1935 belna saloon
1935 augusta lusso
1938 ardenne
1939 aprilia lusso
1958 appia s2
1963 appia s3 
195? appia camioncino
1972 fulvia 1600HF
1976 fulvia coupe
194? ardea SUV  "THE BEAST!!!"
JohnMillham
Permanent resident

« Reply #1 on: 23 May, 2009, 07:52:44 AM »

As I have already informed you, I'll take a set of four, as long as the price is less than £300 each - and preferably quite a lot less. I'll ask around at the Sliding Pillar Rally, where there will be many Augusta and Belna owners. Regards, John
DavidLaver
Permanent resident

« Reply #2 on: 02 October, 2009, 07:29:20 PM »

This (pictures below) is an MG engined 50s special with an Augusta front axle (that I first saw a decade ago at Crystal Palace, and somewhere have my Viva Lancia write up about) and at the Goodwood Revival it had problems with the brakes. 

When hot they drag, and they'd had them apart numerous times and not found the problem.   "Oh they're all like that" I say sagely, "if the liner gets thin in the alloy casting variations in thickness result in distortion when hot, and you really should check there's no corrosion between the liner and housing".   

They nod, and the mechanics agree its a good enough story to just put a bit more clearance in for the weekend, and they'll get the driver to order some new ones "as for him its money no object", and they've heard of TypeCast and agree its the obvious place to go.

We now wait for them to get the pattern made - and sneak in behind with the batch.  Now what is the phrase I'm looking for  Wink

David

* Goodwood1.jpg (30.53 KB, 400x533 - viewed 470 times.)

* Goodwood2.jpg (39.8 KB, 600x450 - viewed 466 times.)

* Ateam.jpg (52.28 KB, 268x400 - viewed 475 times.)

David Laver, Lewisham.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd