Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
19 March, 2024, 04:49:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ignition key stuck.  (Read 11501 times)
dlyris
Lapsed

« on: 08 April, 2009, 01:46:37 PM »

Huh? Hi, as the subject suggests my ignition key is stuck in the key hole at the ignition and does not turn nor wants to come out. It goes from "stop" half way to "mar" and that is it. When pushing the little button which normaly facilitates you with leaving the parking lights on, nothing happens (the key does not turn to that position). Has this happened to anyone before? What to do in this case? The car is a Y10 Turbo from 1987. I have disassembled the plastic covers around the steering column only to find out that the screws that hold the ignition assembly on it do not have a head (security I suppose) so I cannot unscrew the whole assembly from the steering column. I have sprayed with anticorrosion spray but it did not help.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Thank you in advance.

Best regards

Dimitris Lyris

Best regards

Dimitris Lyris
Lancia Y10 Turbo 87
fay66
Permanent resident

« Reply #1 on: 08 April, 2009, 02:26:37 PM »

If you can't free it off then I would suspect you will have to drill out the bolts, not easy as they are hardened bolts, as you say for security. You will of course also need new breakhead bolts.
looking at my manual it would probably be easier to remove the steering column and put it in a vice, at least that way you can see what you're doing. if you need to know how to remove the steering column, drop me a PM with your email and I'll scan the relevant pages of the manual and email them to you.

That is unless someone knows different Grin

Brian
8227 Cool

Own 1966 Fulvia 2C Berlina since 1997, back on road 11-1999.Known as "Fay"
2006 Renault Megane 1 5 Dci Sports Tourer
Dedra Technical Adviser
dlyris
Lapsed

« Reply #2 on: 09 April, 2009, 06:20:55 AM »

Dear Brian,

Thank you for your reply. You have a PM.

Best regards

Dimitris

Best regards

Dimitris Lyris
Lancia Y10 Turbo 87
JohnMillham
Permanent resident

« Reply #3 on: 09 April, 2009, 07:53:11 AM »

Have you tried wiggling the steering wheel at the same time as trying to turn or remove the key? It soulds like it's the steering lock which is causing the problem.
 Regards, John
dlyris
Lapsed

« Reply #4 on: 09 April, 2009, 08:12:59 AM »

Hi John,

Yes, I have. It does not want to come out.

Reagrds Dimitris

Best regards

Dimitris Lyris
Lancia Y10 Turbo 87
fay66
Permanent resident

« Reply #5 on: 09 April, 2009, 08:44:07 AM »

Dear Brian,

Thank you for your reply. You have a PM.

Best regards

Dimitris

Hi Dimitris,
scans on the way.

Brian

Dedra Technical Adviser
Kevin MacBride
Lapsed
Megaposter

« Reply #6 on: 09 April, 2009, 12:22:55 PM »

There should be a little button (lever) on the side of the ignition casing, press this and at the same time turn the key anti-clockwise, this will remove the barrell and key. Chances are the barrell is damaged. I might be able to help with new switches and locks if required.
« Last Edit: 09 April, 2009, 12:25:32 PM by Kevin MacBride » Logged

B20 4th series (having a 'facelift')

2000 sedan
Fiat Multipla
Fiat Cinquecento
dlyris
Lapsed

« Reply #7 on: 09 April, 2009, 12:42:14 PM »

Hi Kevin,

No switch or lever at the outside casing. Only the button to enable you to leave the car with the parking lights on.

Best regards

Dimitris

Best regards

Dimitris Lyris
Lancia Y10 Turbo 87
Kevin MacBride
Lapsed
Megaposter

« Reply #8 on: 09 April, 2009, 04:15:53 PM »

Have a closer look. It may be a hole in which you insert a small rod. It should be on the side of the casing. This is the only way to remove the barrell. When you buy a new switch it comes without a barrell and key. I know this, 'cos I sold one recently. Part number 46421642. Its a common switch, fitted to Fiat models as well, Cinq, Croma (early), Panda (early) etc. Lockset is part number 7642484 but is no longer available. A Fiat Cinquecento lockset will suit part no 7669077, but will have a Fiat key rather than a Lancia key. Hope this helps. If it were me I'd try to get a s/h Cinq switch and key.

2000 sedan
Fiat Multipla
Fiat Cinquecento
ben
Lapsed
Megaposter

« Reply #9 on: 09 April, 2009, 09:01:40 PM »

Hi Dimitris
              Ive just looked at my Y10 Touring which is probably the same as your GTie and the button referred to by Kevin is inside a small rectangular hole on the cylindrical alloy body of the switch unit diametrically opposite the black button. To release the lock barrel poke a smoll rod (eg instrument screwdriver) into the hole and press where-upon you should feel the spring.The bad news however is that the key and barrel may well still not pull out because if it wont turn it probably wont move axially either.
              If you do have to remove the complete unit a method I have used successfully is to undo the sheared off security bolts by tapping them around with a hammer and punch.A sharp centre punch should do it. This is probably easier than drilling them out.You can use conventional bolts when you reassemble if you are not paranoid about security.
               Best regards
                                  Ben Courage
dlyris
Lapsed

« Reply #10 on: 10 April, 2009, 05:44:41 AM »

Hi Ben & Kevin,

I found the small hole as you described and felt the spring inside it. Unfortunately as you said nothing happened so everything points out to the steering column removal. I thought of trying to create a head on the screws by using a cutting wheel on a drilling machine, like the Dremel or something like that.

Thank you for your help. At least the car was in the driveway at home and not somewhere else.

Regards Dimitris

Best regards

Dimitris Lyris
Lancia Y10 Turbo 87
fay66
Permanent resident

« Reply #11 on: 10 April, 2009, 09:08:54 AM »

Dremel sounds a good idea but I'm not sure you would get enough pressure with a screwdriver to remove the bolts, possibly drill a hole and use a left hand thread easy out. but I'd probably go with Ben's idea of a hammer & Punch. As I would to using ordinary bolts to put it back.

Brian 8227 Cool

Dedra Technical Adviser
Kevin MacBride
Lapsed
Megaposter

« Reply #12 on: 11 April, 2009, 01:07:43 AM »

Easiest way to remove these is to cut a 'slot' through both the casting that clamps the switch and the sheared bolt. Then use a flat screwdriver to remove. Thses are not as tight as you would think as the heads shear off before the bolt is screwed as tight as it would be if it were a normal bolt. Difficult to get at but a short hacksaw blade and patience will do the trick. I did hundreds of these in the days before coded keys stopped people trying to steal cars. Now they steal the keys first....

2000 sedan
Fiat Multipla
Fiat Cinquecento
dlyris
Lapsed

« Reply #13 on: 20 April, 2009, 07:12:27 AM »

Hi all,

Thank you for your answers. Yesterday I took apart the steering column and managed to create a head on the screws and finally remove the lock from the steering. But I did not manage to take the key from the lock and there is nothing on the aluminium body that holds the lock, as you can see on the pictures attached, that will enable me to remove the key or the ignition lock from its housing.

Anyone with more experience? Probably a locksmith or a thieve?

Regards

Dimitris

* DSC00001.JPG (88.56 KB, 861x646 - viewed 533 times.)

* DSC00002.JPG (108.56 KB, 933x700 - viewed 521 times.)

* DSC00003.JPG (90.39 KB, 861x646 - viewed 524 times.)

* DSC00004.JPG (81.17 KB, 861x646 - viewed 513 times.)

Best regards

Dimitris Lyris
Lancia Y10 Turbo 87
fay66
Permanent resident

« Reply #14 on: 20 April, 2009, 07:49:21 AM »

The small round pin shown in your 3rd photo is normally pushed in to remove the lock barrel but I can't remember if it will depress with the key in. Huh?

Brian
8227 Cool

Dedra Technical Adviser
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd