Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
29 March, 2024, 01:00:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Started welding.  (Read 3325 times)
bill
« on: 06 April, 2009, 07:45:21 PM »

Hello, finally started the welding on the car, seems to be coming along ok, up to now.
A couple of questions, while the car is up on axle stands I would like to check the braking, is it possible to buy the rubber brake hoses going to the front caliper? can anyone tell me why there are 2 bleed nipples and 2 rubber hoses. I would appreciate any advice anyone can give me on the braking system.
Thank you very much.
Bill.
nistri
Megaposter

« Reply #1 on: 07 April, 2009, 07:59:54 AM »

First, I would advise you to get a CD with the Fulvia workshop manual. The viva-lancia.com site sells them cheaply and they are useful for servicing and repairs. Second, the caliper braking system has two circuits with separate inflow and bleed lines. Note that the length of the rubber hoses is actually different: fitting them wrongly may create problems when turning the steering full lock.
To overhaul calipers, do not split them. Use compressed air through the rubber hoses to eject the plungers after placing a wooden wedge in between them.
Good luck, Andrea

Andrea Nistri

Ardea S2
Appia S2
Fulvia GTE
Fulvia Sport 1.3 S
Fulvia Montecarlo
Fulvia Coupe 1.3 S
Jai Sharma
Megaposter

« Reply #2 on: 07 April, 2009, 12:50:35 PM »

Just a small bit of extra info to add to Andrea's detailed explanation, the hoses are (or at least used to be) available from Omicron. You can also get goodrich type braided hoses which to my mind are a better solution and not much more cost, although I guess you will want to replace them all if you go down that route.

I have also found, if you don't have compressed air (we are short of air down here in Essex), that you can use the hydraulic pressure in the system to push the pistons sifficiently far out that you can then pull them out by hand. To do this take the pads out and just use a very thin piece of wood in place of the pads (in fact I had some pads with only the backing plate left for this purpose) to stop the pistons coming out completely, then bolt the calliper back on the hub. It is worth doing both sides at once because otherwise you have to refill the reservoir and bleed etc to get enough pressure to do the other side.

Good luck!
bill
« Reply #3 on: 07 April, 2009, 04:20:32 PM »

Thank you for the replies, I had a look on ebay for the brake hoses they have series2 would these be ok. for series 3? I will be renewing the brake fluid and all the rubber hoses on the front, one thing you may be able to help me with.

The brake fluid reservoir is full, but I have no brake pedal what so ever. once again i really appreciate your advise.

All the best.

Bill.
ncundy
Lapsed
Rebel Poster

« Reply #4 on: 07 April, 2009, 04:50:43 PM »

Air lock in the pipes would be the first thing to check otherwise, if there is no obvious leak then it is probable that the master cylinder is leaking internally or the end seal is leaking and the fluid has deposited itself into the servo.

1969 Fanalone, Mazda RX-8, Fiat Multipla
Jai Sharma
Megaposter

« Reply #5 on: 09 April, 2009, 07:45:56 AM »

S2 and S3 pipes are the same by the way
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd