Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
28 March, 2024, 09:46:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 8 to 16 valve conversion  (Read 4029 times)
davidwheeler
Permanent resident

« on: 20 January, 2009, 03:14:58 PM »

The Boy has an 8 valve 1991/2 Integrale with poor oil pressure.  I have a 16 valve Thema Turbo engine sitting in the shed.  How to we transplant the 16v into the Integrale?  We have the brain, does it just plug into the socket?
The engine specs for the 16v Integrale and Thema seem to be the same.
All advice eagerly awaited.

David Wheeler.  Lambdas, Aprilia, Fulvia Sport.(formerly Appia and Thema as well).
Chris5090
« Reply #1 on: 20 January, 2009, 10:26:00 PM »

Now i've never done this job but these are a few things i would think would be different.

The wiring loom will be different.
The Engine mounts will be different
All the pipework would have to come from a 16v Integrale
Are the Radiators (Oil & Water) and Intercooler the same?
Gear Ratios / Clutch & flywheel (the box will bolt on (the bolt pattern is the same))
All the associated brackets etc
Also don't forget that you should really change the front suspension to allow for the different weights

I don't want to put a spanner in the works, but for the amount of work and cost i'd think it would be easier to source another 8v and drop it straight in?

Anyone with more knowledge than me may know better though..... Wink
Neil Lewis
« Reply #2 on: 21 January, 2009, 10:29:14 PM »

I guess, since this 8-valve is from 1991/92, its actually one of the Evo bodied cars with the 8-valve engine fitted.  I know these were fitted to Swis cars and had a catalyst fitted but maybe someone else can spread a bit more light on the subject.

Personally, and being an 8-valve owner, I wouldn't swap my engine for a 16-valve unless it was from an Evo.  My car is so much more usable than any of the 16-valve (not Evo) cars I've driven.  However, I don't believe that the job would be too difficult especially as this car will have the raised Evo bonnet.  The engine sensors are mostly in the same places so the wiring would only need minor mods.  But you will need all the correct 8-valve hoses cos the ones from the Thema definitely won't fit!

Neil
davidwheeler
Permanent resident

« Reply #3 on: 23 January, 2009, 03:05:43 PM »

I am surprised by the comments as I understood that the only differences between the two engines are the number of valves and the manifolds internally.  We'll have to have a good look at the two engines and take some measurements. The blocks are certainly the same.  Of course, there may be a simple explanation for the poor oil pressure reading which is surprising as the engine has only done some 70,000 miles according to the odometer...

David Wheeler.  Lambdas, Aprilia, Fulvia Sport.(formerly Appia and Thema as well).
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd