Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
28 March, 2024, 04:29:00 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Oil Leak  (Read 9898 times)
SteveGales
Megaposter

« on: 03 November, 2008, 11:51:25 AM »

Fresh from the success of repairing the clock (thanks again all) , next "niggly" job on the to do list.

Ever since I've had the car there has always been an oil leak from the petrol pump to block joint. Over the years have tried thin gaskets, thick gaskets with and without sealant and even a new pump just in case the mounting face was warped. Have also been careful not to overtighten nuts. Still leaks!

Any suggestions ?

Regards

Steve
chrislg
« Reply #1 on: 03 November, 2008, 01:40:46 PM »

Hi Steve,

I had the same problem on my Fulvia, and it turned out to be the casting onto which the fuel pump is mounted being slightly distorted, in that someone had over tightened the nuts at some point and slightly 'pulled' the surface near to the studs out of 'true'. Peter Gerrish advised me to use slightly thicker gaskets together with a 'hard setting' jointing compound. From memory the one I used was Green Hermatite, do the nuts up normally and wait a couple of days for the compound to 'go off'. It worked for me and finally got rid of the oil leak.

Hope that helps.

Chris
peterbaker
Permanent resident

www.retro-speed.co.uk

« Reply #2 on: 03 November, 2008, 07:23:34 PM »

Surely there is a special gasket which is much thicker than normal. Like me!

1961 Lancia Flavia 1.5 Berlina. FIAT Abarth. 1954 Daimler Conquest. 2003 MG ZT-T 135. 1998 SAAB 9-5 3 litre turbo.
SteveGales
Megaposter

« Reply #3 on: 03 November, 2008, 08:14:31 PM »

Hi Chris

Thanks for that, I will certainly give it a go. Did you do anything to the face of the casting before putting it all back together?

Peter, no comment !!

Steve
ncundy
Lapsed
Rebel Poster

« Reply #4 on: 03 November, 2008, 08:39:14 PM »

If you have access to a small enough flatening stone then you could (after removing the studs) "stone" it flat. Do the same to the mating face as well and you should have two nice flat surfaces. Looking at my engine there looks to be enough room to try this - although when mounted in the car it might not be possible.

1969 Fanalone, Mazda RX-8, Fiat Multipla
chrislg
« Reply #5 on: 04 November, 2008, 08:44:46 AM »

No I didn't, partly because space is tight, but also I was not sure that could get the studs out easily. You could try to as Neil suggested, but I would have thought that it would be difficult and you run the risk of debris getting into areas it shouldn't. If you were rebuilding and engine, then I would do it as it is known to be a problem area. Also, if you use thicker gaskets you run the risk of reducing the 'stroke' on the fuel pump which could affect the fuel pressure.

Chris
ncundy
Lapsed
Rebel Poster

« Reply #6 on: 04 November, 2008, 08:56:22 AM »

That's a good point about debris, probably not a good idea in your circumstances Steve.

1969 Fanalone, Mazda RX-8, Fiat Multipla
fay66
Permanent resident

« Reply #7 on: 04 November, 2008, 11:17:41 AM »

What about using silicone gasket either side of the original gasket? I would have thought that should take up any discrepancies without making it too thick.

I found that the pump flange itself was a bit distorted, and eased it with oiled fine wet & dry on a piece of plate glass. that helped although it didn't completely effect a cure.

Brian
8227 Cool

Own 1966 Fulvia 2C Berlina since 1997, back on road 11-1999.Known as "Fay"
2006 Renault Megane 1 5 Dci Sports Tourer
Dedra Technical Adviser
SteveGales
Megaposter

« Reply #8 on: 04 November, 2008, 08:45:58 PM »

I'll cut my own out of slightly thicker gasket paper and try the hard setting jointing compound.

Have always used 'Blue Hylomar' before which is non-setting ,perhaps this will make the difference.

Wiil let you know how I get on.

Regards

Steve
lancialulu
Press Officer
Permanent resident

« Reply #9 on: 05 November, 2008, 03:06:07 PM »

Steve

Chris's point is correct re introducing a thicker gasket will affect the fuel pressure from the pump but as you only potter along it shouldnt be a problem!!!

Tim

Its not the winning but taking part! or is it taking apart?
Lancias:
1955 Aurelia B12
1967 Fulvia 1.3HFR
1972 Fulvia 1600HF
1972 Fulvia Sport 1600
1983 HPE VX
1988 Delta 1.6GTie
1998 Zeta 21.  12v
SteveGales
Megaposter

« Reply #10 on: 05 November, 2008, 08:40:28 PM »

Hi Tim

Cheeky G..

There are two reasons I struggle to keep up with your Fulvia.....
1) Your car is a modified 1.6 HF and 2) It's normally SARAH who's driving it !!!!

Cheers

Steve
fay66
Permanent resident

« Reply #11 on: 06 November, 2008, 12:56:36 AM »

Hi Tim

Cheeky G..

There are two reasons I struggle to keep up with your Fulvia.....
1) Your car is a modified 1.6 HF and 2) It's normally SARAH who's driving it !!!!

Cheers

Steve

Careful, Sarah may get the idea you're an MCP. Grin

Brian
8227 Cool

Own 1966 Fulvia 2C Berlina since 1997, back on road 11-1999.Known as "Fay"
2006 Renault Megane 1 5 Dci Sports Tourer
Dedra Technical Adviser
St Volumex
Lapsed
Rebel Poster

Owner of RetroPart

« Reply #12 on: 07 November, 2008, 11:03:54 AM »

Our Fulvia had an apparent oil leak in the same area until I replaced the mechanical fuel pump diaphragm.

Fuel was leaking through the diaphragm and out the pump drain hole in the base, running down the side of the engine, only it looked just like oil.

Have you checked this Steve?

Guy McDougall
www.facebook.com/RetroPart
Rare Parts for Rare Machines
Appia Coupé S3 (Rosina), Appia Berlina S3 (La Giaconda), Fulvia 1.3S 5 spd coupé (Tigger, belongs to Carol), Beta Spyder S2 (Vivaldi), Montecarlo Spyder S2, HPE VX (Pugsly) etc
SteveGales
Megaposter

« Reply #13 on: 07 November, 2008, 09:17:25 PM »

Thanks Guy, I will certainly double-check that over the weekend. It looks like oil (there is so much of it !) and I did change the pump
about 3 years ago.

Brian, I was pulling Tim's leg. As anyone who has seen Tim's wife, Sarah, drive around Goodwood or on the Cotswold  Economy Drive will know, she can peddle a Fulvia faster than most of us !!.....Tim included  Grin

Steve
davidwheeler
Permanent resident

« Reply #14 on: 30 November, 2008, 04:13:05 PM »

You could of course throw the pump away, fit a blanking plate and an electric pump.  Saves all that churning in the morning.

David Wheeler.  Lambdas, Aprilia, Fulvia Sport.(formerly Appia and Thema as well).
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd