Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
18 April, 2024, 12:54:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fuel problem?  (Read 4305 times)
baroncamacho
« on: 02 August, 2008, 06:09:39 PM »

I have a 1983 2000ie beta coupe, which runs fine. However, on a long journey after about 80 miles or so the engine develops a stutter. By which I mean it feels like there is no fuel getting to the engine, as when you put your foot on the accelerator there is no power, and the engine misses. I have checked all the ignition parts and they are fine, so I am assuming it is a fuel problem. It only happens when the petrol guage is at a certain level, and if you leave the car for 20 mins or so and then restart and drive it is fine. It has been suggested it could be a fuel pressure problem, or even the float on the sender unit in the tank interfering with fuel flow as it only seems to happen at a certain level. I would be grateful if anyone could shed any light on this, and if anyone else has had a similar problem. I had an old 1600 HPE a few years ago with the same problem, but it was a carb version and not an injection so have ruled out problems with the injectors. Thanks.
Neil
Permanent resident

« Reply #1 on: 02 August, 2008, 09:41:38 PM »

I am looking after a Beta 2000Vx Coupe which has had similar problems,  poor running, no power and missfires it you could get it to start, it has the Bosch fuel injection pump the same as an IE we believe, but with carbs had some real issues of late which we thought was the pump, after much time replacing the pump, rubber hoses, checking wiring/relays, filters and fuel regulators required for the carbs (not IE) and testing the volume of fuel pumped, it was not the pump (we even had the injection pump part a few times, found a stray piece of rubber inside which we removed and pumps fine)

In the boot, look behind the carpet and follow the fuel breather pipes, from the bottom of the filler pipe/cap  (there is drain pipe under the cap for rain water etc) and to the tank, smaller plastic hoses, it may be blocked. The Vx was blocked solid and full of water where it drains though the boot floor to the ground, two smaller pipes join via Y junction to larger pipe, you may need to take the pipes put and blow them clean, there should be a valve in line with the tank breather, you may need to dry it out.

Good luck it took me months to discover this!  We now need to put all the plumbing back as before with new hoses, I hope that helps.

Neil   

1973 Fulvia S2 1.3
Neil
Permanent resident

« Reply #2 on: 02 August, 2008, 09:46:47 PM »

I forgot to add you can check the float in the tank quite easily, under the carpet remove the small nuts under the polystyrene cover about 6 of them about 6mm and you can carefully remove the sender unit with float attached, check it moves freely, then with a torch look inside the tank for any obvious damage or possible corrosion, the VX was clean fortunately.

Neil   

1973 Fulvia S2 1.3
baroncamacho
« Reply #3 on: 10 August, 2008, 07:53:47 PM »

Had a look at the breather pipes, and the larger diameter one was badly kinked near the top of the fuel tank, so badly it was closed off. Straightened it out and made sure it was open fully. Filled up and did a 300 mile round trip this weekend. Car ran absolutely fine, no stutter or fuel flow problem whatsoever. Spot on advice Neil, thanks very much. Saved me loads of time and unnecessary grief looking at other things when it was so simple. Tank was fine, as was sender unit and float. Now all I need is someone to sort out the synchromesh on the gearbox, and we will be ready to race!!!
Neil
Permanent resident

« Reply #4 on: 11 August, 2008, 08:47:41 AM »

Excellent news, I am glad my advice worked for you, I assume you managed 300 miles on the one tank of fuel.

Neil   

1973 Fulvia S2 1.3
m tulloch
Megaposter

« Reply #5 on: 17 August, 2008, 06:11:08 PM »

300 miles on a tank in a Beta; Never!! Shocked
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd