Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
29 April, 2024, 06:15:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ultrasonic cleaning of carburettors  (Read 645 times)
Simon B

« on: 04 March, 2024, 02:26:04 PM »

I have borrowed an ultrasonic cleaner to clean a newly acquired set of PHH E3 carburettors.  I’ve ordered some carb cleaner and having cleaned the outside of the carbs the old-fashioned way with petrol and carb cleaner I was going to use an ultrasonic cleaner on the body and associated parts for a thorough clean.  However, these carbs have sealed or shielded throttle spindle bearings and as they appear to be in good condition, I was not planning on removing them.  I’m wondering if I can dunk the carb body with these in place and then force some grease or oil into the bearings afterwards?  Has anyone any experience of putting partly assembled Solex or any other carb with roller bearings in an ultrasonic cleaner and did they turn out ok?  Is there anything else I need to be careful with when using an ultrasonic cleaner on carbs or small parts?

Any advice would be appreciated, regards Simon
lancialulu
Press Officer
Permanent resident

« Reply #1 on: 04 March, 2024, 05:39:31 PM »

I cannot answer about throttle spindle bearings but a cautionary word about random small brass plugs can fall out of the body and or carb top and get lost before realising. Depending in the ultrasonic cleaner they should still be big enough not to go down the drain. It is recommended to clean at c50degC and that is the prblem

The 35 bodies being Mazak will also go a darker grey a bit. 42's come out lovely apart from the carb tops which are also Mazak

Its not the winning but taking part! or is it taking apart?
Lancias:
1955 Aurelia B12
1967 Fulvia 1.3HFR
1972 Fulvia 1600HF
1972 Fulvia Sport 1600
1983 HPE VX
1988 Delta 1.6GTie
1998 Zeta 21.  12v
Simon B

« Reply #2 on: 05 March, 2024, 12:34:55 PM »

Thanks Tim, I'd heard about carbs going darker/black in ultrasonic cleaners and thought it was just down diy cleaning mixes. I contacted the supplier of the powder type ultrasonic carb cleaner I have on order and yes, they have had the odd report of it turning carbs black! The premixed they sell had not been a problem but the powder type was bought-in, and a different product which they were thinking about discontinuing. I don't fancy using either on the Mazak castings and will stick to petrol or solvent carb cleaners. I will just use the ultrasonic cleaner for the brass jets.

Thanks again Simon
andyps
Megaposter

« Reply #3 on: 07 March, 2024, 12:21:54 PM »

I used a small ultrasonic cleaner for all the brass parts of my Solex carbs and they came out really clean. I think I also put the carb top (and maybe the bottom part which holds the diaphragm) in the cleaner and they came out fine - I just used the generic ultrasonic cleaner fluid mixed with water.
In relation to the bearings it probably depends on how the bearings are lubricated originally, if they are open ones the cleaner shouldn't make any difference but I would guess they have some sort of seal and the risk is some fluid getting past the seal and not drying out, or being able to be lubricated properly afterwards.

I'd like to add an additional question if anyone can answer - I've got a spare pair of carbs I want to fully rebuild and as my ultrasonic cleaner isn't big enough to put the bodies in I wondered about having them vapour blasted but not sure if that would be too much for the Mazak. Someone suggested just putting them in the dishwasher as a good way to clean them so any advice on what is best would be welcome!
Simon B

« Reply #4 on: 14 March, 2024, 10:54:38 AM »

Andy, I would be concerned about the glass beads or whatever abrasive media is used in vapour blasting blocking the small internal passages.  If you kept them assembled and covered the front and rear flanges, I think you would get an excellent finish on the bodies, ideal if yours have some corrosion to start with.  However the blasting would also likely remove the zinc plating from fasteners so either use temporary or replate/replace.  Dry ice or soda blasting are other options. I did experiment briefly with an accelerator pump body in the ultrasonic cleaner, however it was definitely going darker grey and had an etched appearance so I didn’t pursue.

My carbs were pretty good condition so I just used lots of solvent carb cleaner worked in with a small paintbrush, a wooden skewer for awkward corners and a soft small stainless brush on any light corrosion. They look fine and perfectly adequate for my purposes. Before and after pics below.

I also managed to persuade some grease into the sealed roller bearings these later carbs use. I very gingerly clamped a brass plumbing stop cap with a grease nipple fitted onto carb body around the bearing and forced some grease through.

* IMG_2947.jpeg (119.44 KB, 480x640 - viewed 196 times.)

* IMG_2996.jpeg (111.63 KB, 480x640 - viewed 189 times.)

* IMG_5048.jpeg (77.76 KB, 480x640 - viewed 190 times.)

* IMG_5047.jpeg (79.24 KB, 480x640 - viewed 191 times.)

* IMG_3057.jpeg (117.03 KB, 640x480 - viewed 192 times.)
Beckerman67

« Reply #5 on: 14 March, 2024, 06:01:26 PM »

I had mine vapour blasted a while back. They needed some thorough de-gritting afterwards though!

* IMG_0795.jpg (2568.12 KB, 4032x3024 - viewed 12 times.)
andyps
Megaposter

« Reply #6 on: 19 March, 2024, 04:39:41 PM »

Thanks for the replies. The guy I've spoken to who does vapour blasting thinks he can mask off any areas which might be an issue, cleaning them out isn't as much of a concern to me as whether it might wear something it shouldn't.

The carbs which are on the car have been rebuilt and I used my small ultrasonic cleaner for many of the smaller components without issue, but couldn't get the main body in the machine I have, hence thinking of an alternative for another pair of carbs I have (I'm not happy with the ones on it currently).

I might try the dishwasher first, however!!
jus

« Reply #7 on: 21 March, 2024, 10:35:44 AM »

Be mindfull of dishwasher salt and the effect it can have on aluminium alloy.

1969 S1 Fulvia 1.6
1971 Ex-works Fulvia 1.6
1975 Gr4 Stratos HF
1982 Beta Spyder
1982 037 Rally

Recently passed: 1986 Delta S4
Long since passed: Delta HF Turbo ie, Delta HF Turbo (carb), Delta 1500.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd