Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
27 April, 2024, 05:57:55 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: handbrake dash light/flasher  (Read 900 times)
Keithver

« on: 30 January, 2024, 07:28:33 AM »

Hi. I'm hoping that there is someone that can help me.
My handbrake light on the dash is always on when the ignition is on. I would say it is half as bright as the other dash lights

I'm pretty sure that handbrake switch was working when I installed it into the car (on and off)
When I connect the brake fluid connectors on the reservoir together, I presume the light is meant to flash, showing low brake fluid. There is no flashing
I have removed the brake flasher unit and tested it. It only flashes every 5 seconds. Is this correct.
Why does the dash light remain illuminated at 50% brightness all the time no matter the position of the handbrake

* IMG_2626.jpg (923.26 KB, 2016x1512 - viewed 18 times.)
« Last Edit: 30 January, 2024, 07:36:51 AM by Keithver » Logged

'72 series 2 Fulvia 1,3s
nistri
Megaposter

« Reply #1 on: 30 January, 2024, 08:13:18 AM »

When the handbrake lever is pulled up, it should flash at low speed (every few secs). If it is always on, it should indicate that somewhere the circuit that is always connected to + is touching ground. Remove the flasher (under the dash), connect the wires and see if the light is on. If it is, carefully check all connections for a wiring fault including the switch near the lever.

Andrea Nistri

Ardea S2
Appia S2
Fulvia GTE
Fulvia Sport 1.3 S
Fulvia Montecarlo
Fulvia Coupe 1.3 S
Neil
Permanent resident

« Reply #2 on: 30 January, 2024, 09:26:45 AM »

It could be the handbrake flasher relay that has failed after checking as suggested, mine didn't flash for 20 years the light stayed on with the hand brake applied, I had to replace it with a second hand one in the end from a X1/9 works perfectly now.

Neil   

1973 Fulvia S2 1.3
HBG
Megaposter

« Reply #3 on: 30 January, 2024, 11:49:18 AM »

Interesting. My handbrake light flashes with the hand brake on which I thought was incorrect. If it is correct, how and when does this light show low brake fluid?
nistri
Megaposter

« Reply #4 on: 30 January, 2024, 01:38:55 PM »

The red light for low brake fluid level should come one (without flashing) when the plastic float inside the master cilinder drops down to touch the electrical contacts. This assumes that the contacts are in good shape and that the wires and Lucar connectors on the reservoir are not corroded. Often thes etwo assumptions are not met.

Andrea Nistri

Ardea S2
Appia S2
Fulvia GTE
Fulvia Sport 1.3 S
Fulvia Montecarlo
Fulvia Coupe 1.3 S
gtx60

« Reply #5 on: 30 January, 2024, 04:19:42 PM »

I was totally unaware of the handbrake light flashing when engaged, I certainly don’t think mine ever has. Do you have an exact location or picture of the flasher unit so I can check. Much appreciated. Will also check the contacts on the master cylinder as you suggest.
nistri
Megaposter

« Reply #6 on: 30 January, 2024, 05:10:42 PM »

The flasher unit is a large element with an alloy casing usually mounted on a bracket under the dash near the steering column (at least on LHD cars). When operating, it is easy to feel (with one hand over it) the intermittent clicking of the filaments inside. Sorry, I have no picture of it.

Andrea Nistri

Ardea S2
Appia S2
Fulvia GTE
Fulvia Sport 1.3 S
Fulvia Montecarlo
Fulvia Coupe 1.3 S
nistri
Megaposter

« Reply #7 on: 31 January, 2024, 08:16:00 AM »

A quick note just to avoid confusion: originally there are two flasher units, one for the direction indicators, the other one for the hand brake. Of course, after more than 50 years, things might have been modified.

Andrea Nistri

Ardea S2
Appia S2
Fulvia GTE
Fulvia Sport 1.3 S
Fulvia Montecarlo
Fulvia Coupe 1.3 S
Keithver

« Reply #8 on: 31 January, 2024, 08:23:02 AM »

When the handbrake lever is pulled up, it should flash at low speed (every few secs). If it is always on, it should indicate that somewhere the circuit that is always connected to + is touching ground. Remove the flasher (under the dash), connect the wires and see if the light is on. If it is, carefully check all connections for a wiring fault including the switch near the lever.
Hi Andrea are you talking about the large flasher unit or the small one. My car has both. I think the large one is for the indicators (which work) and the small one for the hand brake. I disconnected these 3 wires from the small unit and connected them with no result.
The photo shows the small unit circled on the left, above the choke lever and the large one on the right. It is the small unit that I tested and got a flash every 5 seconds

* IMG_2630.jpg (365.45 KB, 1280x962 - viewed 28 times.)

'72 series 2 Fulvia 1,3s
Neil
Permanent resident

« Reply #9 on: 31 January, 2024, 08:30:13 AM »

The hand brake flasher unit is the small metal one.

Neil   

1973 Fulvia S2 1.3
nistri
Megaposter

« Reply #10 on: 31 January, 2024, 11:59:52 AM »

I confirm that the small unit is for the handbrake flashing. I don't know what you mean by "no result". If the red light remains permanently on, it suggests that the switch (or a wire) is touching ground.

Andrea Nistri

Ardea S2
Appia S2
Fulvia GTE
Fulvia Sport 1.3 S
Fulvia Montecarlo
Fulvia Coupe 1.3 S
Keithver

« Reply #11 on: 01 February, 2024, 02:05:46 PM »

Andrea, I guess that you meant one should connect the 2 leads on the main flasher. Sorry, I tried the small one

I did notice that with the handbrake released. If i put my weight onto it (press it down further), the light then goes out. I'll drop the lever from below to look at the switch properly
I don't have time at the moment but as soon as things settle down. Ill look properly

the car is going back to the body shop next week to give the paint a final polish now that it has settled. so that's another week before I can do anything

Once again thanks for all the tips, advice and info - very helpful.

'72 series 2 Fulvia 1,3s
Keithver

« Reply #12 on: 12 February, 2024, 07:34:39 AM »

I removed the handbrake lever from below and discovered that the series 1 brass connector strip (switch) was not adjusted as finely as it could be. After correcting that and replacing the small flasher unit, I now have a handbrake light which goes off with the brake released and flashes when it is on.
While I was at it I replaced the instrument dimmer which was broken. I think this is the only new genuine Lancia part that I have fitted to the car

* IMG_2638.jpg (851.89 KB, 1512x2016 - viewed 16 times.)

'72 series 2 Fulvia 1,3s
nistri
Megaposter

« Reply #13 on: 12 February, 2024, 07:01:25 PM »

Very good news: the problem was with the lever switch as suspected. Thanks for the update.

Andrea Nistri

Ardea S2
Appia S2
Fulvia GTE
Fulvia Sport 1.3 S
Fulvia Montecarlo
Fulvia Coupe 1.3 S
HF_Dave
Megaposter

Rust , What Rust !! I don't See any rust !!!

« Reply #14 on: 13 March, 2024, 07:09:38 PM »

My handbrake light flashed as well , I sorted it out by replacing the switch below the handbrake .  Someone before me had disconnected the wire ans it was earthing to the body , so it only came on occasionally . I replaced the switch with one off a Beta I had and it's worked for the past ten years wit out problem .

My Current Cars:

1991 Thema station wagon
1989 Thema 16v
2011 Lancia Delta 3

1977 Beta sedan 2000
1975 Fulvia S3 1.3
1973 Flavia HF 2000 Coupe
1972 Fulvia S2 1.3
1989 Thema 8.32
**Other Makes**
2018 Alfa Giulia
1999 Alfa 156