Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
27 April, 2024, 04:07:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fulvia tyres  (Read 2422 times)
Nick2022

« on: 18 November, 2023, 04:32:19 PM »

My Fulvia bought last year has a set of Cromodoras with new 185/70 Pirelli Cinturato tyres. But I think they're too wide compared with standard 165 tyres on steel wheels that I sometimes use. What do others reckon? Steering is a bit heavier but I worry about them fouling front arches on full bump. Any thoughts about what should be fitted?

* IMG_1538.jpg (124.2 KB, 640x480 - viewed 435 times.)
lancialulu
Press Officer
Permanent resident

« Reply #1 on: 18 November, 2023, 05:23:37 PM »

I run run 80 profile 165 on Cromodoras on my 1600 Sport  with no problems. BTW nice coupe although I think the rear springs need setting correctly to flatten its stance a bit.

Its not the winning but taking part! or is it taking apart?
Lancias:
1955 Aurelia B12
1967 Fulvia 1.3HFR
1972 Fulvia 1600HF
1972 Fulvia Sport 1600
1983 HPE VX
1988 Delta 1.6GTie
1998 Zeta 21.  12v
Jai Sharma
Megaposter

« Reply #2 on: 18 November, 2023, 05:38:29 PM »

Is the factory width 175?
Wangler
Megaposter

« Reply #3 on: 18 November, 2023, 09:09:29 PM »

https://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/classic-car-tyres/lancia/fulvia.html

Fulvia Coupe 1976
Fulvia Coupe 3 1975
lancialulu
Press Officer
Permanent resident

« Reply #4 on: 18 November, 2023, 09:59:38 PM »

Is the factory width 175?
only 1600 hf for 14” has 175….

Lancias:
1955 Aurelia B12
1967 Fulvia 1.3HFR
1972 Fulvia 1600HF
1972 Fulvia Sport 1600
1983 HPE VX
1988 Delta 1.6GTie
1998 Zeta 21.  12v
Jai Sharma
Megaposter

« Reply #5 on: 19 November, 2023, 10:53:44 PM »

Fair point thanks, I saw the Cromodoras and thought HF.
waterman42

« Reply #6 on: 20 November, 2023, 10:42:51 AM »

Mine's a standard 1.3S but previous owner fitted a set of 14" Cromodoras. Tyres are 165/80 and no problem with fouling wheel arch.

Mention was made of the rear ride height in the photo. Mine is also up a bit more than I'd like, 75mm clearance tyre to wheel arch compared with only 45mm at the front, car unladen. I asked the previous owner who had tried taking a spring leaf out but he found it caused some fouling (perhaps when fully laden) so he reverted to standard. Can it be adjusted other than by removal of a leaf?

Hugh A
25 years an Alfa 105er
but finally an S3 Fulvia
Richard Fridd
Permanent resident

« Reply #7 on: 20 November, 2023, 04:13:01 PM »

Some  would say the spring should be reset by slackening fasteners and retightening.
 I have never understood how this affects the properties of a spring.
 I know adding an extra leaf upside down flattens the spring.

Richard

Richard Nevison Fridd                                                                      Happy Lancia, Happy Life
Wangler
Megaposter

« Reply #8 on: 20 November, 2023, 06:06:54 PM »

The workshop manual explains how to set the correct rear right height. It involves slackening off certain bolts and putting a specific weight in the boot then re-tightening. The weight sounds quite a lot, but if you’ve got some concrete blocks it soon adds up to enough.

Don’t forget to put a board in the boot to avoid any chance of distorting the top of the fuel tank.

Fulvia Coupe 1976
Fulvia Coupe 3 1975
lancialulu
Press Officer
Permanent resident

« Reply #9 on: 20 November, 2023, 06:08:29 PM »

Some  would say the spring should be reset by slackening fasteners and retightening.

Richard

For S2/Fulvia 3 slackening all 10 (!) silent blocks and compressing the rear suspension with heavy weights in the boot such that distance between the bump stop and the top of the sprin plate is 80mm then doing up all the (10) silent blocks has the effect of holding the spring in the middle position of operation. Of course it is necessary the all silent blocks are in working condition so they can hold this design requirement (it is in the manual....) and also nobody has changed the rear springs for non Italian made springs as the steel is different and UK steel is less flexible...

Lancias:
1955 Aurelia B12
1967 Fulvia 1.3HFR
1972 Fulvia 1600HF
1972 Fulvia Sport 1600
1983 HPE VX
1988 Delta 1.6GTie
1998 Zeta 21.  12v
waterman42

« Reply #10 on: 20 November, 2023, 07:31:03 PM »

Some  would say the spring should be reset by slackening fasteners and retightening.

Richard

For S2/Fulvia 3 slackening all 10 (!) silent blocks and compressing the rear suspension with heavy weights in the boot such that distance between the bump stop and the top of the sprin plate is 80mm then doing up all the (10) silent blocks has the effect of holding the spring in the middle position of operation. Of course it is necessary the all silent blocks are in working condition so they can hold this design requirement (it is in the manual....) and also nobody has changed the rear springs for non Italian made springs as the steel is different and UK steel is less flexible...

Great thanks.

Takes me back many decades to my early production Hillman Imp, bag or two of cement or gravel in the (front) boot was a common tweak but you had to drive around with it. Eventually bit the bullet and bought a set of shorter springs.

Hugh A
25 years an Alfa 105er
but finally an S3 Fulvia
GlynW

Fulvia S2 1600HF (1971)

« Reply #11 on: 24 November, 2023, 11:24:12 PM »

Hi Nick,

This is very timely since I am in the middle of replacing my S2 1600HF tyres and also deciding on the future of my wheels (Cromodora 14x6J).

The Owners handbook specifies Michelin XAS 175 14.  Their profile is not explicitly given, but in its absence you can assume that is 80%.  I have been using a 175/80 Firestone tyre, but the Michelin XASs are now available from Longstone Tyres (Wangler has provided a link) and I have just bought a set. Putting them alongside the Firestones is interesting - the XASs have an asymmetric tread pattern (the outer and inner faces are marked) and a rounded shoulder - the Firestones are quite square in comparison.  My Firestones are also over 20 years old (with surprisingly little wear, so they must be a very hard compound), and I am hoping the new tyre will make the steering a bit lighter at low speeds on grippy surfaces.

The rims are more of an issue.  The tyre shop who removed the old covers were concerned that I had been running them without an inner tube, since the Cromodoras lack 'safety ridges' inboard of the rims.  These are intended to stop the tyre deflating if it is hit from the side near the rim.  Tubeless tyres were introduced around 1970, but it was a while before safety ridges were introduced and the Cromodora design was never updated. The valve holes are also thicker than would be found on a normal tubeless wheel, which have a recess.  My valve holes were also pitted but contained sufficient sealant to avoid any leaks.

My Cromodoras were last refurbished 25 years ago so it was also time to visit some paint shops to see what could be done.  In short, it is not very much.  The Mg-Al alloy wheels are too delicate (and the old paint and filler too thick) to be bead blasted.  An exploratory test showed the surface underneath was quite pitted and some of the detail ('Cromodora 14x6J') and sharpness had already been lost and not just painted over.  The advice was to get them chemically stripped but that should not involve alkali ('soda') or strong acids.  The only remaining choice is to use methylene chloride - the sort of paint stripper that has disappeared from use because of handling, disposal and safety issues.  I used a lot of it to take my car back to bare metal in the 1990's so I know how unpleasant it is and it is not something I look forward to revisiting in a small garage with a recently repainted car.

My solution has been to buy a set of 4 reproduction Al-alloy wheels from Pieces Fulvia, which arrived today.  They have a safety ridge and a recessed valve hole, so are designed for tubeless tyres.  In  fact, my tyre shop tells me you must not use tubes in wheels with safety ridges.  I will use the best Cromodora (with a tube) as a spare while I wait for Spring to clean up the rest in the open air!

Good looking car too,

Glyn

P.S. There is a very good article on the process of Mg-Al wheel restoration here: https://stevekouracos.com/restoration/tips-and-tricks/aluminum-magnesium-wheel-restoration/

GlynW

Fulvia S2 1600HF (1971)

« Reply #12 on: 25 November, 2023, 11:54:02 AM »

I have attached some images showing the more rounded profile of the Pirellis vs Firestones, as well as the safety ridges and valve recesses for tubeless tyres on the reproduction wheels vs a standard Cromodora wheel.  Some of this has been touched on in much earlier threads, but I think the images will help.

Glyn

PS  For interest, I weighed both wheels.  The Cromodora (Mg-Al) wheel is 4.7kg and the Reproduction (Al) is 6.8kg - a bigger difference than I expected.

* Firestone(L)&Pirelli(R)_shape_1_sml.jpg (764.05 KB, 2400x1376 - viewed 42 times.)

* Safety_ridges_Cromodora&Reproduction_arrowed_sml.jpg (143.48 KB, 976x573 - viewed 41 times.)

* Cromodora&Reproduction_inner_valve_holes_sml.jpg (568.48 KB, 2000x1500 - viewed 39 times.)
« Last Edit: 25 November, 2023, 11:58:06 AM by GlynW » Logged
Nick2022

« Reply #13 on: 26 November, 2023, 02:45:51 PM »

thanks Glyn, all very useful. TBH my wheels are reproduction items so the safety ridge isn't a big issue but I like the look of those Michelins. 175/70 is probably the max I'd go to now. Yup, the rear sits a bit high and I might look into it but that was always part of the characterful stance of a Fulvia coupe to me!
GlynW

Fulvia S2 1600HF (1971)

« Reply #14 on: 26 November, 2023, 06:19:47 PM »

thanks Glyn, all very useful. TBH my wheels are reproduction items so the safety ridge isn't a big issue but I like the look of those Michelins. 175/70 is probably the max I'd go to now. Yup, the rear sits a bit high and I might look into it but that was always part of the characterful stance of a Fulvia coupe to me!

This is a picture of my car with the Firestone 175/80 tyres.  The springs have been replaced with NOS items and the suspension was set during a restoration between 2018 and 2021.  The stance is pretty much the way it has been since I bought the car in 1986, but if you like the look of yours and it drives well, there should be no rush to change it.

* Lancia_Fulvia_EHT400K_small.jpg (1538.57 KB, 2765x2074 - viewed 65 times.)
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd