Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
27 April, 2024, 02:38:51 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Electrical queries  (Read 3839 times)
HBG
Megaposter

« Reply #15 on: 25 November, 2023, 08:16:21 PM »

That's a good location Glyn. Not sure what seats you have but mine are much closer. I was looking at that space as a possible location for a cup holder but its too narrow. Last weekend when out for the day to the Forest of Dean I stopped for coffee and wanted to continue but couldn't put the coffee down.

Any suggestions for cup holders? I do have a travel mug that hooks over the passenger glove box handle but I'd forgotten it that day.

Spent some time this afternoon fitting the hazard lights according to Norms diagram. Didn't quite finish as I had some trouble at the end and was losing the light. Think the  Lucas switch was faulty and have now corrected it. I'll fit it again tomorrow and hope for success.

Fitted my home made and now crackle black panel to the underside of the ash tray.

* 20231125_123843.jpg (3319.81 KB, 4032x3024 - viewed 32 times.)
frankxhv773t
Permanent resident

« Reply #16 on: 26 November, 2023, 11:30:17 AM »

If you aren't a smoker couldn't the ashtray be replaced with a switch panel, or is that a silly suggestion?
GlynW

Fulvia S2 1600HF (1971)

« Reply #17 on: 26 November, 2023, 06:02:48 PM »

That's a good location Glyn. Not sure what seats you have but mine are much closer. I was looking at that space as a possible location for a cup holder but its too narrow.

I have an HF, so the seats are the black vinyl, high-backed, narrow squab variety.  I forgot that there there is less space between the standard seats.

Glyn
HBG
Megaposter

« Reply #18 on: 26 November, 2023, 06:11:42 PM »

Here is the switch in place. Happy with the install except for the trouble with the switch which is poorly made. Instant short circuit from the switch blowing the fuse and killing the flasher unit. Brand new switch repaired and a non led flasher unit installed for the moment.

* 20231126_111905.jpg (3470.45 KB, 4032x3024 - viewed 42 times.)
HBG
Megaposter

« Reply #19 on: 01 December, 2023, 09:45:38 PM »

So the supplier sent me a replacement Lucas flasher SFB30 kit and flasher relay. The replacement switch is as defective as the first. Since the modified knob ive fitted moves out a little with normal car vibration and disconnects the indicators I've decided that this switch won't do. My options are limited as I don't want to remake the panel so I've found a push button with a small diameter that might do it. It's all taking a lot longer to get a good installation than I'd have anticipated.
HBG
Megaposter

« Reply #20 on: 11 December, 2023, 10:25:37 PM »

This time it's the instrument back lights. They're too dim.

I've received some led replacements and have changed just one.....and it may possibly be the same or worse.

The lamp that came out was a T10 w3w, 3watt.

I see that w5w are available. Anyone use these? Are they brighter? Do they run hotter and so cause issues?

Thanks, as usual.

Howard
GlynW

Fulvia S2 1600HF (1971)

« Reply #21 on: 13 December, 2023, 08:30:19 AM »

Have you cleaned the rheostat?  I needed to use a large amount of switch cleaner on mine and will repeat properly when I next remove the dashboard.  They will never be bright, but they should be clearly visible, even with bulbs not leds.
Glyn
HBG
Megaposter

« Reply #22 on: 13 December, 2023, 05:14:35 PM »

Hi Glyn, no I haven't cleaned the rheostat.

Did you just spray it ir is some agitation required? Did it make much difference when clean?
GlynW

Fulvia S2 1600HF (1971)

« Reply #23 on: 14 December, 2023, 10:50:48 AM »

Hi Howard,

After getting my car back on the road in 2021 (after 4 years off) the instrument and driving lights were very dim, in fact dangerous on unlit roads.  The fusebox and lighting relays were my first point of call (I'll post some pictures separately).  That gave me bright driving lights but did not fix the instruments.  They were helped by cleaning the rheostat.

All did was to remove the collar fixing the switch (the right hand of the two chromed knobs) to the dashboard and squirt a little switch cleaner, from a pressurised can with a thin tube inserted into the nozzle, into the switch, around the edges of the shaft.  I then rotated it a few times and did it all again.  The improvement was significant and the instruments are now readable at night.  I think the switch is still dirty, so I will remove it and clean it properly (or replace it) when I can.

I would not expect LED lights to be dimmable, so if you swap to LEDs you might be better off taking it out of the circuit entirely.

Glyn

GlynW

Fulvia S2 1600HF (1971)

« Reply #24 on: 14 December, 2023, 11:04:25 AM »

Before tackling the instrument lighting, I cleaned the fusebox properly, for the first time in my ownership.  I have posted this in another Forum (https://lancisti.net/wbb/index.php?thread/12045-relay-id-on-s2-zagato-1972/) but will repost here in case you find it useful.

"I have recently thoroughly cleaned up the fuse box of my 1971 Fulvia 1600 Coupe. It has not been done for at least 38 years and, after 2 resprays in that time, the area contained a lot of old paint dust.

Removing the fuse block and relays was not as difficult as I had expected, but getting everything back in the right place will require a lot of labelling and note-taking. I used a few sheets of wire markers and grouped wires into bunches with cable ties while removing them. That also helps ensure that wires go back in the same order making it easier to avoid snags and crossings.

Once on the bench it is much easier to clean the contacts of the main relay (31, CEAM in your photo) which feeds the main lights. I'll attach some pictures for encouragement.

Glyn"

* Fusebox_dismantling&cleaning.jpg (373.85 KB, 1735x1093 - viewed 33 times.)

* Fuseblock.jpg (248.51 KB, 991x1031 - viewed 23 times.)

* Fusebox_Relays.jpg (203.9 KB, 1563x1029 - viewed 25 times.)
fay66
Permanent resident

« Reply #25 on: 14 December, 2023, 01:09:55 PM »

Hi Glyn,
Long time since we last met, and I can't remember if your 1600 is Rhd or Lhd ?
Brian
8227 Cool

Own 1966 Fulvia 2C Berlina since 1997, back on road 11-1999.Known as "Fay"
2006 Renault Megane 1 5 Dci Sports Tourer
Dedra Technical Adviser
HBG
Megaposter

« Reply #26 on: 14 December, 2023, 02:07:33 PM »

Thanks for that Glyn. I'll get some cleaner spray and give it  a go through the dashboard. The one led lamp I have changed did in fact dim.....much to my surprise.

Not long after I got my car, earlier this year, I had the fuses out and cleaned what I could of the contacts though didn't disconnect everything or remove the relays. My headlights and main beams were not great which I put down to halogen lamps when compared to the leds that surround us in almost every other car. I've put leds in everything now except dash lighting. The warning lamps are bright and clear so have no need to change them.

I'm still keen on hearing from anyone who has w5w lamps in the dash.....

The dipped beams are now great.........and adjusted.......must have been flashed by a hundred oncoming cars on my way back from Forest of Dean in the dark!

GlynW

Fulvia S2 1600HF (1971)

« Reply #27 on: 14 December, 2023, 02:16:09 PM »

Hi Glyn,
Long time since we last met, and I can't remember if your 1600 is Rhd or Lhd ?
Brian
8227 Cool
Too long, Brian!  Its a RHD car.  I guess the dimmer switch and trip counter positions are determined by the position of the Speedometer.

All the best,

Glyn
nthomas1
Rebel Poster

« Reply #28 on: 14 December, 2023, 03:53:13 PM »

Hey Glyn - daft question maybe, but you do have the cover for relay 31 don't you?  All of your pictures show the relay without the cover in place.

Norm Thomas
Ormskirk, Lancashire

Own:
1973 Fulvia S2 Coupe
Previous Lancias: S2 Coupe and S3 Coupe in late 1970s
GlynW

Fulvia S2 1600HF (1971)

« Reply #29 on: 14 December, 2023, 04:43:05 PM »

Hey Glyn - daft question maybe, but you do have the cover for relay 31 don't you?  All of your pictures show the relay without the cover in place.
Not a daft question at all.... no I don't!  It did not have a cover when I bought the car in 1986, so I assumed that they were all like that!  Its probably why mine got so dirty.  The ones I have seen since, with covers, appear to be made by CEAM.  There are no distinguishing marks on mine, but I would guess it is standard and someone lost the cover before I bought the car.

Glyn
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd