Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
27 April, 2024, 04:57:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Barbara Longlands  (Read 3437 times)
Chris Hopkins
Librarian
Megaposter

« on: 16 October, 2023, 02:55:50 PM »

I won’t repeat Pat Ure’s words from October’s Viva Lancia as she covered Barbara’s life very well.  What I would like to add is that her contribution to our Club, although not high profile, was hugely helpful to its smooth running. She devoted an enormous amount of time and effort quietly working away in the background.  Barbara was also a lovely gentle but supremely competent and talented person who will be sadly missed.
If you would like to attend her funeral, it will be at Basingstoke Crematorium at 11am on the 17th November.   

Chris Hopkins
1971 Fulvia Berlina S2
1973 Fulvia Sport 1600
2011 Delta 3 Limited
2012 Ypsilon 1.2 Limited Edition
chriswgawne
Permanent resident

« Reply #1 on: 16 October, 2023, 03:29:35 PM »

Well written Chris. Barbara was a very efficient, very helpful Club member who in particular helped many of us get imported Lancias registered quickly and correctly in the UK.
I have very fond memories of her.
Chris

Chris Gawne
Mobile: 07778 216552
ColinMarr
Permanent resident

« Reply #2 on: 16 October, 2023, 05:19:46 PM »

I echo these thoughts. I got to know Barbara quite well over the years, particularly in helping with DVLA applications, and I had a high regard for her – she will be missed.
sllim1946

« Reply #3 on: 23 January, 2024, 10:51:08 AM »

Just thought I should add the piece that I wrote for Viva Lancia to keep as an easily accessible record :-

" I was saddened to hear of Barbara Longlands passing. We first met on the club committee  about 20 years ago and soon discovered that we had other mutual interests apart from Lancia.
Barbara was born in Chichester and I a few miles down the road which led to memories of the bygone city including driving round The Cross on our respective driving tests. Pedestrianisation put paid to this long ago of course. We also swapped notes of Goodwood race track as we both visited it from quite a young age. As the photograph of Barbara in last month’s VL showed she kept up that enthusiasm throughout her life.
Another shared interest was volunteering as advisers at Citizens Advice which led to much discussion of the issues we were challenged with in our respective centres.

Lynda and I were honoured and thrilled to join Barbara on her 80th birthday in Ropley. From the number of attendees it was obvious that she was popular with a wide range of friends from many walks of life.

Barbara had an almost sixth sense at committee meetings when she would suddenly regale us with one of her stories about members past. Eventually I realised why she did this – she could see that the meeting was getting heated and her tales invariably calmed  the atmosphere in the room. By the way the important role she played with DVLA on getting imported cars registered was jovially named “Barbara’s Dating Service”!

Although I had not seen Barbara for some time, I know I am going to miss her very much. She was simply a kind, generous, funny and lovely lady."

Brian Mills

1961 Appia Berlina S3
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd