Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
29 April, 2024, 01:55:40 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: S1 Steering Box RHD removal  (Read 1030 times)
OldSparky

« on: 21 September, 2023, 06:38:10 PM »

Is there  any guidance on removing the steering box on one of the above cars - well the one I have.  From what I have read its a 2 man job.  Does the steering column have to come out etc etc.  We now have 2 fulvias in the local motor club - one walked off with the 12 car on Monday night (not mine as still struggling with driving position hence smaller steering wheel hence lighter steering if at all possible.  Power steering looks possible for S2 but S1?)

Thanks for any advice
chriswgawne
Permanent resident

« Reply #1 on: 22 September, 2023, 08:54:59 AM »

Forgive me but are you sure the steering box has a problem? In my experience its often the idler which wears as its lubrication gets forgotten.
Chris

Chris Gawne
Mobile: 07778 216552
OldSparky

« Reply #2 on: 22 September, 2023, 06:39:28 PM »

Thanks Chris - car is new to me - topped up ( well filled) box with EP90 and greased idler as has a nipple with grease coming out bottom seal so think have done what may have been missed. No play around straight ahead but increases with lock ( which is I gather to be expected)

Is it easier to remove idler first?

fay66
Permanent resident

« Reply #3 on: 22 September, 2023, 10:47:41 PM »

Is there  any guidance on removing the steering box on one of the above cars - well the one I have.  From what I have read its a 2 man job.  Does the steering column have to come out etc etc.  We now have 2 fulvias in the local motor club - one walked off with the 12 car on Monday night (not mine as still struggling with driving position hence smaller steering wheel hence lighter steering if at all possible.  Power steering looks possible for S2 but S1?)

Thanks for any advice
I've spoken to Omicron about the practicality of fitting electric power steering to my series 1 2c Berlina.
Yes, it is possible but it's not cheap.
Brian
8227 Cool

Own 1966 Fulvia 2C Berlina since 1997, back on road 11-1999.Known as "Fay"
2006 Renault Megane 1 5 Dci Sports Tourer
Dedra Technical Adviser
frankxhv773t
Permanent resident

« Reply #4 on: 23 September, 2023, 09:24:54 AM »

Electric power steering attached to the steering column may be an easier conversion than hydraulic. I've heard of Toyota Yaris parts being used.
davidwheeler
Permanent resident

« Reply #5 on: 24 September, 2023, 03:15:25 PM »

MGTF also has electric steering column and may be even cheaper.

David Wheeler.  Lambdas, Aprilia, Fulvia Sport.(formerly Appia and Thema as well).
Wangler
Megaposter

« Reply #6 on: 24 September, 2023, 06:06:42 PM »

Thanks for any advice

At the risk of suggesting the bleedin’ obvious, have you tried a steering wheel extender/spacer in an effort to get a better driving position? I’m 6 ft. and really couldn’t get on with the driving position in my S3 which has a non-dished wheel. A 60mm spacer (Sparco) made a huge difference. The steering wheel is 15 inches.

I cannot remember the steering being hard to turn at slow speeds on my S2 in the 1970s, but back then people weren’t used to power steering. And I was stronger!

Fulvia Coupe 1976
Fulvia Coupe 3 1975
OldSparky

« Reply #7 on: 28 September, 2023, 09:20:47 PM »

As you say the bleedin obvious. Worth a go.  And its not my strength which is the issue but she who must be obeyed who is the rally driver ( I just fix things and tell her when to go left or right - or is it the other way round - we seem to get it wrong often.)

Thanks.  Back to the timing issue
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd