Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
29 April, 2024, 11:19:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rear axle hop  (Read 1058 times)
mr.jwhey

« on: 10 September, 2023, 09:29:13 PM »

I posted this on the Flavia forum last week but no response.  I'm a newbie to Lancia and just learned the Fulvia S3 rear suspension format is nearly identical to the 2000, so I'm posting again here hoping someone who has tracked a Fulvia will have some advice.

"My car suffers from lateral rear suspension hop during hard cornering over bumps.  All bushings/shocks recent and in good condition. Shock mounting angle is such that they are ineffective near upper travel limit.  Wondering if any racers out there know a fix to keep wheels on the ground?  Larger anti-sway bar?  Spax or HRW adjustable shocks?  Would appreciate any advice."
Richard Fridd
Permanent resident

« Reply #1 on: 11 September, 2023, 06:10:59 AM »

How far does it hop? My Fulvia did give a feeling of a mild hop when encountering a bump on the road. However it was always  ok on a smooth racing circuit. My Fulvia had a Flavia sourced front anti roll bar. I lowered the 3 leaf springs and then had altered ( by others)the front wishbones to a negative camber to suit. Wheels 6 inch Campagnolos, offset not recorded. No change to rear camber.

Richard

Richard Nevison Fridd                                                                      Happy Lancia, Happy Life
lancialulu
Press Officer
Permanent resident

« Reply #2 on: 11 September, 2023, 06:46:52 AM »

What shock absorbers are you running at the back?

And what provokes the lateral hop?

Cant say any of my Fulvias do this so I suspect weak / incorrect rear springs giving the rear shock absorber no ability to work properly. A side photo of your car may be helpful.

Its not the winning but taking part! or is it taking apart?
Lancias:
1955 Aurelia B12
1967 Fulvia 1.3HFR
1972 Fulvia 1600HF
1972 Fulvia Sport 1600
1983 HPE VX
1988 Delta 1.6GTie
1998 Zeta 21.  12v
mr.jwhey

« Reply #3 on: 11 September, 2023, 10:40:45 AM »

Shocks are Tecno Suspension circa 2018.  I probably should have disconnected and tested them before posting.  Will do that today.

The hop is most pronounced over abrupt bumps like bridge expansion joints.  Rear ride height looks OK to me.  Springs were repainted and there's rust underneath but plastic sliders look OK and movement is smooth (no stiction) with a jack.

Can't believe Fulvia's dominated rallye circuit w/ rear axle that handles like mine.

Do either of you know where to get a list of suspension components shared by 2000 and Fulvia S3?  Suppliers don't offer much in way of upgrades for 2000.  Would like to find set of poly bushes and bigger sway bars.

Thanks for the help.
Richard Fridd
Permanent resident

« Reply #4 on: 11 September, 2023, 11:48:23 AM »

My exact memory of this hop is going over an expansion joint on the corner of Maidstone bridge in the gyratrory system.
 "Just a twitch" is how my passenger described this experience.
 Not sure regarding interchangeable parts.

Richard

Richard Nevison Fridd                                                                      Happy Lancia, Happy Life
lancialulu
Press Officer
Permanent resident

« Reply #5 on: 11 September, 2023, 01:23:01 PM »

As Prof Fessia said when designing the front wheel drive Lancia Flavia and Fulvia - you just worry about the front ,  the rear takes care of its self.

I would not  change the sway bar (check the cotton reel bushes are in good order) nor would think poly  bushes  will sort your  problem. Rear springs can either be too stiff or too soft compared with the factory desigN. Also rear shocks are kinda critical. You should try to find the Decarbon shock (quite difficult to find nowadays, but there are several licensees - Corte, delphi who made them). Failing that gas spax set on around 4-6 fromsoft.

I worries me when you say the shocks are near horizontal....

Its not the winning but taking part! or is it taking apart?
Lancias:
1955 Aurelia B12
1967 Fulvia 1.3HFR
1972 Fulvia 1600HF
1972 Fulvia Sport 1600
1983 HPE VX
1988 Delta 1.6GTie
1998 Zeta 21.  12v
mr.jwhey

« Reply #6 on: 11 September, 2023, 07:13:43 PM »

Shocks are at 52 deg full bump, but that's the way Lancia designed it.  Ricambi lists DeCarbon for Fulvia, but not Flavia.
mr.jwhey

« Reply #7 on: 13 September, 2023, 04:04:09 PM »

Just to close this thread, I've determined by measuring spring camber that someone fitter stiffer springs.  The shocks are bad- about 5x the spec travel rate under 22kg load.  I'm going to try Spax while I look around for set of original spec springs and DeCarbon shocks.

Thanks to all who responded to this thread.
DavidLaver
Permanent resident

« Reply #8 on: 19 September, 2023, 11:49:30 AM »

Sounds like you can now look forward to a better ride AND road holding.

David Laver, Lewisham.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd