Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
29 April, 2024, 03:48:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Petrol in oil sump  (Read 1978 times)
Richard Fridd
Permanent resident

« Reply #15 on: 11 September, 2023, 12:06:42 PM »

70 miles on, and the oil problem hasn't returned yet. What hasn't been mentioned is how the petrol in the oil initially became apparent.  There was a rise in sump oil level and a smell of petrol. This has been attributed to unburnt fuel  ending up in the sump (by an expert, who I am told, reports that the fuel pump is ok according to his gas annalyser).
  Our member is now registered on this LMC forum, so perhaps will be able to confirm his findings, for the benefit of other members.
  My own car has electric fuel pumps, so one less thing to be concerned about,(or should that be two more things to be concerned about)  There is always something.

Thanks for the replies,

Richard

Richard Nevison Fridd                                                                      Happy Lancia, Happy Life
LCR1967

« Reply #16 on: 13 September, 2023, 01:37:34 PM »

70 miles on, and the oil problem hasn't returned yet. What hasn't been mentioned is how the petrol in the oil initially became apparent.  There was a rise in sump oil level and a smell of petrol. This has been attributed to unburnt fuel  ending up in the sump (by an expert, who I am told, reports that the fuel pump is ok according to his gas annalyser).
  Our member is now registered on this LMC forum, so perhaps will be able to confirm his findings, for the benefit of other members.
  My own car has electric fuel pumps, so one less thing to be concerned about,(or should that be two more things to be concerned about)  There is always something.

Thanks for the replies,

Richard

I experienced a similar issue with excessive petrol in the oil. Intially it was a split diaphram, new mechanical petrol pump installed and all appeared to be fine. Then several months later the oil was once again smelling like petrol. I took the decision to remove and rebuild the engine, it was something I was planning and winter was around the corner so bit the bullet. After teardown 2 of the bores were found to be heavily pitted/eroded. This was the second leakage path for the fuel.
Richard Fridd
Permanent resident

« Reply #17 on: 13 September, 2023, 03:45:44 PM »

Did the pitted bores cause a rise in sump level?
  Ok now I expect.
  Richard

Richard Nevison Fridd                                                                      Happy Lancia, Happy Life
LCR1967

« Reply #18 on: 25 September, 2023, 12:12:04 PM »

Did the pitted bores cause a rise in sump level?
  Ok now I expect.
  Richard

It certainly did, with a serious fuel consumption Undecided.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd