Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
28 April, 2024, 07:13:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Final drivwe lateral shaft.  (Read 1165 times)
davidwheeler
Permanent resident

« on: 28 August, 2023, 02:53:03 PM »

I have been in't'pit sorting out a stiff handbrake lever.     When I finally persuaded the drum to go back onto its splines and tapped it up I found it would not go on the last 10-15 mm because tha shaft on which it rides had come out and was standing proud although still engaged with the diff.
As it happens, I have a spare 38-32642 and it does not seem to have any way of retaining it in position.     The splines that fit into 38-32530 do not show any signs of being anything other than a sliding fit.
Is it just retained by the bearing and hope?     
Tomorrow I shall unscrew the cover 38-32645 and see if the bearing is still in position or if it has moved.   In any case, dare I try gentle tapping to get the shaft back into place or do I have to take the whole thing out?

* IMG (Copy).jpg (308.87 KB, 1080x742 - viewed 50 times.)

David Wheeler.  Lambdas, Aprilia, Fulvia Sport.(formerly Appia and Thema as well).
davidwheeler
Permanent resident

« Reply #1 on: 30 August, 2023, 08:30:02 AM »

This is the shaft (the spare actually) that has extruded itself a bit.   I cannot see how it is retained.   Can anybody tell me please?

* P1020056 (Copy).JPG (274.5 KB, 1920x724 - viewed 50 times.)

David Wheeler.  Lambdas, Aprilia, Fulvia Sport.(formerly Appia and Thema as well).
Jay
Megaposter

« Reply #2 on: 30 August, 2023, 12:47:04 PM »

From memory
The half shaft does slide in the diff so can move, although I thought the outer bearing slides on the smaller dia section up to the shoulder with the retaining ring/nut 38.32645 holding the whole assembly in the case with multiple of washers, springs and seals.   What’s more interring is how to convert the shaft to use modern Nitrile rather than the old felt one which is compressed between two wedges/washers.     

So, it shouldn’t move, maybe the drum isn’t on all the way.  But I could be wrong

Julian Wood, Kingston, London
simonandjuliet
Permanent resident

« Reply #3 on: 30 August, 2023, 03:43:47 PM »

I agree with Jay, and I can dig a diff out to check if you can't see what is happening.

AmilcarCGS, ApriliaCabrio,S2Aprilia,Ardea c'cino,S4 Ardea, Appia c'cino, Appia f'cino,B20 s4,4 R4 Sinpar, R4 Rodeo, 65 Moke, 2xR60 Tractor, 2xToselli 78, Moto Guzzi Ercole, Disco 3, Mini ALL4 JCW, Moto Guzzi Cardellino, Fulvia GT, RE Himalayan, Ypsilon
davidwheeler
Permanent resident

« Reply #4 on: 30 August, 2023, 07:29:15 PM »

The drum was definitely all the way on and I can see the shaft is proud.   Have a look please, Simon.

ColinMarr
Permanent resident

« Reply #5 on: 30 August, 2023, 08:30:38 PM »

This is familiar to me, but from a similar set up on my Aurelia and struggles to get it right. I think there should be a bearing on that shoulder, held in by the brake drum and its big nut. See B20 diagram attached.

* B20 Diff.jpg (411.84 KB, 2238x981 - viewed 46 times.)
Jay
Megaposter

« Reply #6 on: 30 August, 2023, 09:31:18 PM »

Here's a picture of what it should look like but a lot cleaner, it is as i described above

* PXL_20220703_110124225.jpg (1719.96 KB, 4032x3024 - viewed 45 times.)

Julian Wood, Kingston, London
davidwheeler
Permanent resident

« Reply #7 on: 31 August, 2023, 04:05:10 PM »

Problem solved but, alas, I may be getting too old for these things - though I am no older than the leaders of the two American political parties.   Nevertheless, time to sing once more the Siamese National Anthem as taught to us wee children by the Headmaster of the Lymington C of E Junior School back in the 40s.   
He wrote on the blackboard
O wata na Siam
and made us sing it.   
He was not a nice man.

I had put on the drum and the nut and tightened the nut as far as it would go and the drum was clearly not on far enough whereupon I took it off again and started this thread.    Today I looked again - for some minutes - then put on the drum followed by the yoke for the UJ and the nut and tightened it up and all is well again.
My excuse is that it was past tea time.
So, sorry for causing confusion!

I now have to work out how to fit the continuous fan belt recommended by Simon... It is the right length and section but the only way I can see to get it past the starter dog is to undo the engine mounts and raise the engine far enough to get it in.   A job for tomorrow though.

simonandjuliet
Permanent resident

« Reply #8 on: 31 August, 2023, 08:14:32 PM »

I have to prise them past the crankshaft pulley with a screwdriver, they are often v tight against the axle/shroud

AmilcarCGS, ApriliaCabrio,S2Aprilia,Ardea c'cino,S4 Ardea, Appia c'cino, Appia f'cino,B20 s4,4 R4 Sinpar, R4 Rodeo, 65 Moke, 2xR60 Tractor, 2xToselli 78, Moto Guzzi Ercole, Disco 3, Mini ALL4 JCW, Moto Guzzi Cardellino, Fulvia GT, RE Himalayan, Ypsilon
davidwheeler
Permanent resident

« Reply #9 on: 02 September, 2023, 08:48:15 PM »

Done it.   What a struggle but I hope it will last a few years now.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd