Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
29 April, 2024, 05:57:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wheel bearings  (Read 1139 times)
Wangler
Megaposter

« on: 15 August, 2023, 03:34:37 PM »

I have recently noticed a very small amount of play on a front wheel bearing on my S3. It's not making any noise. The amount of play measured with a dial at the edge of the disc is 0.1 mm.

Is there a chance this can be rectified by stripping, cleaning and reassembly? I can't see any sign of the nut or retaining washer (the one with the 2 dimples locking it) having moved.

My other hope is that if it can be cleaned it might still last quite a long time even with a small amount of play. That said, I would prefer to get a new one rather than have any play if that's what is has to take.

Fulvia Coupe 1976
Fulvia Coupe 3 1975
Jaydub
Megaposter

« Reply #1 on: 15 August, 2023, 04:27:20 PM »

I personally wouldn`t be concerned about 0.004" play in a hub bearing, it`s good to have very slight movement, better than being too tight. On the older adjustable type with castellated nuts you would want to run with more play than that. If you are worried then clean and repack it as you suggested and see how it feels.

1600 HF. S2.
nistri
Megaposter

« Reply #2 on: 16 August, 2023, 02:29:10 PM »

Removing and refitting a Fulvia wheel bearing is not a simple job and needs special tools.

Andrea Nistri

Ardea S2
Appia S2
Fulvia GTE
Fulvia Sport 1.3 S
Fulvia Montecarlo
Fulvia Coupe 1.3 S
lancialulu
Press Officer
Permanent resident

« Reply #3 on: 16 August, 2023, 02:35:18 PM »

If the bearing is worn it starts to damage the stub axle - the bit that holds the disc on and sits on the inner race of the bearing. Once damaged you would need a new or good s/h stub axle. If you can move the top/bottom and side to side of the wheel it is probably a good idea to throw some new bearings in for the next 50 years....

Its not the winning but taking part! or is it taking apart?
Lancias:
1955 Aurelia B12
1967 Fulvia 1.3HFR
1972 Fulvia 1600HF
1972 Fulvia Sport 1600
1983 HPE VX
1988 Delta 1.6GTie
1998 Zeta 21.  12v
Wangler
Megaposter

« Reply #4 on: 17 August, 2023, 07:20:29 AM »

Removing and refitting a Fulvia wheel bearing is not a simple job and needs special tools.

I understand that some special tools are required and that the Club can help in this respect, although within reason I might be willing to buy them. I see that Pieces Fulvia do some.

Please can anyone tell me what tools are necessary?

Fulvia Coupe 1976
Fulvia Coupe 3 1975
lancialulu
Press Officer
Permanent resident

« Reply #5 on: 17 August, 2023, 07:29:55 AM »

I understand that some special tools are required and that the Club can help in this respect, although within reason I might be willing to buy them. I see that Pieces Fulvia do some.

The hub nut tool (2 types 3or 6 prong) and the bearing retaining nut tool. You will need to remove a v large wire circlip buried in the crud of the inner part of the retaining nut. You will also have the rig up a “pusher” to keep the tool tight to the nut so it does not slip off. With luck and a long bar you may be able to undo the retaining nut keeping the hub on the car. Sometimes they need to be drilled. Sometimes they need to be done on the bench with heat and a large vice. The club has the tools for hire.

Its not the winning but taking part! or is it taking apart?
Lancias:
1955 Aurelia B12
1967 Fulvia 1.3HFR
1972 Fulvia 1600HF
1972 Fulvia Sport 1600
1983 HPE VX
1988 Delta 1.6GTie
1998 Zeta 21.  12v
LCR1967

« Reply #6 on: 29 August, 2023, 01:57:16 PM »

The hub nut tool (2 types 3or 6 prong) and the bearing retaining nut tool. You will need to remove a v large wire circlip buried in the crud of the inner part of the retaining nut. You will also have the rig up a “pusher” to keep the tool tight to the nut so it does not slip off. With luck and a long bar you may be able to undo the retaining nut keeping the hub on the car. Sometimes they need to be drilled. Sometimes they need to be done on the bench with heat and a large vice. The club has the tools for hire.

I recently changed both wheel bearings and had the pleasure of experiencing two of the three scenarios above. One of the large nuts came off with the hub in-situ. The other was a lot more fun. Firstly, it sheared my 1/2 drive, bent a replacement. The enitre hub had to be removed, copious amounts of heated applied (it was glowing orange), and two people hanging onto a scaffolding bar. Luckily the drill stayed tucked away.
Wangler
Megaposter

« Reply #7 on: 29 August, 2023, 04:02:15 PM »

Sounds definitely like a job for the winter. Maybe not this winter either!

Fulvia Coupe 1976
Fulvia Coupe 3 1975
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd