Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
29 April, 2024, 04:09:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Running too rich  (Read 997 times)
Wangler
Megaposter

« on: 26 May, 2023, 01:55:36 PM »

Please pardon my ignorance over what is I'm sure a basic question. I'm used to SU and Stromberg carburettors and never had to play with Solex or Weber.

Went out for a drive this morning in my S3 and where I could gave it quite a bit of wellie. The car ran very well but it seemed to use quite a lot of fuel (Esso Synergy Supreme+99 Unleaded), although I don't know what consumption I should expect.

Looked at the plugs (Champion N9YK) and they're all a bit black. Is there an easy way of making the mixture more lean, or is it a case of changing jets?

If it's the latter, what is the recommendation? Is it a simple swap?
« Last Edit: 26 May, 2023, 02:07:03 PM by Wangler » Logged

Fulvia Coupe 1976
Fulvia Coupe 3 1975
Jaydub
Megaposter

« Reply #1 on: 26 May, 2023, 05:12:54 PM »

make sure the choke is fully off against the stops, that will make it use more fuel. Did you check the plugs after driving slowly back to your house through traffic etc because that is not the way to check plug colour.
Find a straight stretch of road a few miles long and a layby you can pull into safely. Do a full throttle run, switch off the engine and pull into the layby and then check the plugs. MAKE SURE YOU DON`T LOCK THE STEERING WHEN YOU TURN OFF THE ENGINE!!

1600 HF. S2.
Wangler
Megaposter

« Reply #2 on: 26 May, 2023, 09:50:56 PM »

Thank you. Choke fully home.  I haven’t gone so far as to stop the car immediately after a full throttle blast as you described, but TBH I’ve seen enough plugs to know if an engine is running rich. There was no idling in traffic just before the engine was stopped.

Fulvia Coupe 1976
Fulvia Coupe 3 1975
lancialulu
Press Officer
Permanent resident

« Reply #3 on: 27 May, 2023, 05:28:09 AM »

Fulvia set up is generally on the richer side. As John says a best check is a plug chop from full throttle run. Sooty plugs at tickover could just be fuel level in float chamber (s). Should be 19mm from top of emulsion tube when removed without taking the top cover off and after the engine has idled for a bit. A suitably size and marked cable tie is a cheap and quick way to check down the emulsion tube. Only jetting changes on Fulvia is upping the idle jet (to get better transition from idle to main carb circuits with modern lower s.g. fuels, and or upping the main jet is the engine has been tuned and is running the engine flat out (racing etc). In both these cases it is not going to be your situation. A sooty plug could be just burning oil too (valve guides main culprit).

Its not the winning but taking part! or is it taking apart?
Lancias:
1955 Aurelia B12
1967 Fulvia 1.3HFR
1972 Fulvia 1600HF
1972 Fulvia Sport 1600
1983 HPE VX
1988 Delta 1.6GTie
1998 Zeta 21.  12v
Richard Fridd
Permanent resident

« Reply #4 on: 27 May, 2023, 08:09:02 AM »

Looking forward to the solution. Regarding fuel level, I like the suggested method of using an improvised  and calibrated dipstick, then  observing the point at which a surface tension 'wink' occurs. (from the other float level thread)

Richard

Richard Nevison Fridd                                                                      Happy Lancia, Happy Life
Spider2

« Reply #5 on: 27 May, 2023, 02:10:40 PM »

Webers and Solex's may appear complicated but they are basically very simple pieces of kit. The idle mixtures screws just do that, adjust idle mixture. Rest is set by the main jets/air correction/ and to a certain extent the emulsion tube. Start by checking idle mixture screws, they can be damaged if tightened down to much. Then check you have factory setting jets fitted (or close). Learn about these carbs and you will save yourself a fortune because getting bad carbs correct can take hours and hours of fiddling and adjusting. Omicron do a small booklet on the Solex carbs and reading it you will find out how little can actually be done. I prefer the Webers over Solex, mainly because the main jets on the Solex cannot be changed with the carb bolted to the car. (they are underneath)
Happy fiddling
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd