Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
28 April, 2024, 08:19:03 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Coupe replacement seats vs restoring  (Read 1507 times)
RDG496

« on: 24 May, 2023, 10:50:55 AM »

I need to decide on what to do with my seats, the foam has broken down in the back rests and the foam bases have also seen better days as have the covers.
The cost of foam and covers alone would likely come in north of £1000 before having them covered hence why I am considering buying some inexpensive retro bucket seats.
Im assuming Id have to fabricate some kind of base to attach the seats and lose the tilt function which I can cope with.

Has anyone replaced the original seats with after market products, if so any thoughts/advice/guidance.

Many thanks.
neil-yaj396
Committee
Permanent resident

« Reply #1 on: 24 May, 2023, 04:28:13 PM »

The new seat pads advertised in Viva Lancia are only £66 each......

1979 1300 Beta Coupe, 2014 Ypsilon 1.2 S Series Momo
lancialulu
Press Officer
Permanent resident

« Reply #2 on: 24 May, 2023, 04:52:46 PM »

I need to decide on what to do with my seats, the foam has broken down in the back rests and the foam bases have also seen better days as have the covers.
The cost of foam and covers alone would likely come in north of £1000 before having them covered hence why I am considering buying some inexpensive retro bucket seats.
Im assuming Id have to fabricate some kind of base to attach the seats and lose the tilt function which I can cope with.

Has anyone replaced the original seats with after market products, if so any thoughts/advice/guidance.

Many thanks.

If your coupe is an original not messed about then you would be well advised to keep it original. Have you asked Brian Cates (member) for a quote to retrim?

Its not the winning but taking part! or is it taking apart?
Lancias:
1955 Aurelia B12
1967 Fulvia 1.3HFR
1972 Fulvia 1600HF
1972 Fulvia Sport 1600
1983 HPE VX
1988 Delta 1.6GTie
1998 Zeta 21.  12v
RDG496

« Reply #3 on: 25 May, 2023, 09:54:11 AM »

The seat bases are indeed inexpensive but the set of covers are approx £800 (front and rear). Factor in the cost of having the foam back rests redone and paying for labour then its a £1300-1500 job vs Retro bucket seats at say £400 + bases.
I would keep the original seats for future owners, Im just not convinced for a daily driver that spending an extra £1000 is a cost I'm willing to pay.
(And yes I did get a quote from the forum member).

To be clear Im not bemoaning the cost of having them done, more a case of I'm not sure I can justify the additional expense.......having just spent a decent chunk on replacing front floor pans and some minor sill repairs.
Wangler
Megaposter

« Reply #4 on: 25 May, 2023, 10:57:36 AM »

I guess it depends on how the original seats suit you. Mine were extremely well recovered and look great, but they don't suit my fairly standard six foot build. The base is too low and flat.

I'm half tempted to replace at least the driver's seat and keep the old one carefully stored. What's important is how comfortable the driver's seat is if you're going any distance, or perhaps driving in a spirited fashion.

Fulvia Coupe 1976
Fulvia Coupe 3 1975
DavidLaver
Permanent resident

« Reply #5 on: 25 May, 2023, 03:03:02 PM »

If you can turn up a decent pair of seats then recolouring to match the original interior and "topping up" the colour of everything else isn't too bad a job, either as a DIY or paying someone.   Fulvia seats are really good seats.  I had them as my "every day" option when I had an Aurelia with a bench seat that never went in and a pair of buckets for competition, one of which became my eldest son's gaming chair.

My vote is give yourself a month or so to hunt for better seats while sitting on cushions, bits of camping mat cut to size or whatever it takes to make it comfortable in the interim.

I'm also a fan of loose covers.  More a 50s thing than 70s.  The Aurelia bench had a lovely loose cover with map pockets on the back.  These days you see it more "as the dogs make such a mess".   Growing up it was towels over the seats to stop us sticking to them.   Not sure I can quite visualise it for a 70s Fulvia but "a bad idea in the hope it sparks a good one".

Another idea is repaired seats.  There are more and more "patina" cars now.   Maybe replace the front seat bolsters but not the middles?  (assuming that's the wear rather than all the stitching has rotted). That rather depends on you finding someone local who's interested in doing that as repairs of anything are always a right pain relative to a fresh start.  My godson found (and pursuaded) someone to do a tricky torneau cover for his MG midget who usually does high end neon interiors for funky camper vans but was up for it.

Period buckets...again "a look" and if you go for it and follow through then why not?  Bumpers off, driving lights, reversing light, map light, map nets, pen clip, trip meter, watch holder, navigators foot rest, harnesses.

Another way to go is a random pair of seats from an MX5 or whatever else...with heaters...but coloured to match everything else.

David Laver, Lewisham.
davidwheeler
Permanent resident

« Reply #6 on: 25 May, 2023, 03:46:36 PM »

My nephew, who lives in Carlisle has recovered my Fulvia Sport II seats in leather and has done a fantastic job.    Just if you are interested in going the whole hog.   He will also do plastic but why not do it properly?

David Wheeler.  Lambdas, Aprilia, Fulvia Sport.(formerly Appia and Thema as well).
RDG496

« Reply #7 on: 26 May, 2023, 07:59:36 AM »

its not so much the covers, patina and wear i'm ok with but the fact that the foam in the back rests has completely broken down, its like sitting on a cadburys crunch with the floors covered in honeycomb dust.........i love honeycomb but only to eat not to sit on !
JollyClubUK
Megaposter

1971 Fulvia S2 1.3s fast road spec

« Reply #8 on: 26 May, 2023, 02:02:02 PM »

its not so much the covers, patina and wear i'm ok with but the fact that the foam in the back rests has completely broken down, its like sitting on a cadburys crunch with the floors covered in honeycomb dust.........i love honeycomb but only to eat not to sit on !
New seat foam available on eBay and advertised in the club magazine.
frankxhv773t
Permanent resident

« Reply #9 on: 27 May, 2023, 01:12:53 PM »

I'm fairly sure the new replacement seat foam is only for the base, not the backs which the OP needs. Perhaps seat backs need reproducing too.
chriswgawne
Permanent resident

« Reply #10 on: 28 May, 2023, 08:15:41 AM »

We had exactly this rotted stitching/powdery foam rubber problem on a couple of Fulvias a few years ago.
I bought some high density foam and using a very sharp kitchen knife shaped the foam to suit.
I thought the leatherette material was  damaged but on inspection I realised that it was only the stitching - the material Lancia used for the covers was truly excellent quality so very carefully using the existing holes I carefully re-stitched the covers with great success.
The only slight problem was that the foam I used was a little too stiff so I ended up sitting a little high but over time this improved.
I suppose what I am saying is before throwing money at it, have a go yourself. You might surprise yourself.
Chris

Chris Gawne
Mobile: 07778 216552
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd