Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
28 April, 2024, 01:49:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Gear stick dismantling  (Read 1018 times)
Jay
Megaposter

« on: 22 May, 2023, 12:45:10 PM »

I have 2 gear sticks both are rusty (like all the other components), I am trying to understand how the lower part works and also dismantle it ready for my every increasing chroming pile.  

Would I be correct to say that cup (B) slides on the stick (A) under the pressure of spring (C), to seal with the retaining cap (E)  As the cups (A) on both sticks are rock solid and don’t move, so therefore at this stage can’t see the purpose of the spring?

Dismantling, it looks like the stick unscrews from the casting (D), are there any grub screws or other clips holding it together, as you find with other Lancia assemblies? I see in one of  Simon’s posts a newly chromed stick and could make out the course thread at the top for the knob, but couldn’t make out a thread at the bottom, although the parts drawing, shows one.

Many Thanks
Julian

* GEAR STICK.jpg (139.1 KB, 652x668 - viewed 245 times.)

Julian Wood, Kingston, London
simonandjuliet
Permanent resident

« Reply #1 on: 22 May, 2023, 01:10:38 PM »

You are correct that the cup B does (should) slide as you describe. The stick is threaded into the casting without additional grub screws. The knob should unscrew as well but I have found that they can be very recalcitrant !

Good luck !

AmilcarCGS, ApriliaCabrio,S2Aprilia,Ardea c'cino,S4 Ardea, Appia c'cino, Appia f'cino,B20 s4,4 R4 Sinpar, R4 Rodeo, 65 Moke, 2xR60 Tractor, 2xToselli 78, Moto Guzzi Ercole, Disco 3, Mini ALL4 JCW, Moto Guzzi Cardellino, Fulvia GT, RE Himalayan, Ypsilon
Mikenoangelo
Megaposter

« Reply #2 on: 22 May, 2023, 06:19:44 PM »

It's just the same on the Augusta.

The two screws screw into the chromed cover at the top of the gearbox, holding it in place, compressing the spring and thereby fixing the gear lever unit  to the box. The spring pushes down on the ball shaped part which has a curving groove down each side whose purpose is to guide the side to movement of the gear lever  so it can only move back and forth when correctly engaged with the selectors down in the box
 The inner end of the screws go into the grooves of the ball and the tapered shank of the screw (just below the threaded part) seats itself in the top part of the turret at the top of the gearbox.

Holding the chrome cover down against  the spring while fitting the screws is quite hard! Also the screws can wear or even break at the inner end as I found last week when the action of the gearlever became a bit less precise.

The threaded lower end of the main shank of the gearlever screws into the ball/ selecter part and should be left in place while the screws are removed or refitted.
I find the gear lever tends to unscrew itself  so re-assembled it with a slight smear of threadlock.

Hope this helps
Mike Clark
« Last Edit: 22 May, 2023, 06:25:21 PM by Mikenoangelo » Logged
Jay
Megaposter

« Reply #3 on: 31 May, 2023, 04:36:40 PM »

Thanks for your replies, the knob did unscrew eventually, it’s made in 2 parts and unscrews around the centreline, so used a pair of pliers on the internals, so not to damage the outside. Interesting what looks like an early stick the selector was brazed on, having unscrewed the other one I was convince this one was also screwed on, although still salvageable.       

* PXL_20230527_171617293.jpg (421.96 KB, 1000x750 - viewed 54 times.)

Julian Wood, Kingston, London
davidwheeler
Permanent resident

« Reply #4 on: 01 June, 2023, 12:38:15 PM »

The brazing is a botched repair.   The lower stick is right.

David Wheeler.  Lambdas, Aprilia, Fulvia Sport.(formerly Appia and Thema as well).
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd