Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
29 April, 2024, 04:17:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fulvia Coupe / Sport Windscreen Wiper maintenance  (Read 567 times)
lancialulu
Press Officer
Permanent resident

« on: 14 April, 2023, 08:13:01 AM »

While preparing my Fulvia coupe (second series) for its annual MOT I noticed the windscreen wipers were not working. They worked last year. Checked fuses nothing blown. Undid the wiper arm from the spindle and removed the felt seal. Both spindles were seized (you should be able to push the spindles down in their bushes). Nothing for it but to remove the mechanism and overhaul. Those who have done this will know it is a pig of a job (either S1 or S2 Coupes or Sports).

One of the spindles was really seized and (induction) heat was needed to get it free. Not surprising after 50+ years of relying on the tiny amount of grease put in at the factory.

The unit drew sufficient current while in its semi seized state to actually melt the nylon bit of the switch resulting in that also not working. The heat was so much it de-tempered a tiny spring in the switch....

With all this in mind I thought I would look at my Sport which I am readying for a Rally in May. Taking the wiper arms off revealed one of the spindles (nearest the motor) was on the verge of seizing (I could not push it down its bushing without force). Luckily I could free it off and dribbled in thick oil on both spindles followed by a bit of grease. After this I now had a two speed wiper......

Don't overlook as it seems 50 years is the maximum interval for servicing!

Its not the winning but taking part! or is it taking apart?
Lancias:
1955 Aurelia B12
1967 Fulvia 1.3HFR
1972 Fulvia 1600HF
1972 Fulvia Sport 1600
1983 HPE VX
1988 Delta 1.6GTie
1998 Zeta 21.  12v
davidwheeler
Permanent resident

« Reply #1 on: 14 April, 2023, 04:07:36 PM »

Thanks for the reimider, I'll check my Sport when I finish the respray and put it all back together.

David Wheeler.  Lambdas, Aprilia, Fulvia Sport.(formerly Appia and Thema as well).
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd