Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
29 April, 2024, 04:40:25 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ideal engine temperature  (Read 788 times)
Dikappa
Megaposter

« on: 28 March, 2023, 09:39:55 AM »

Guys,

As my Lambda has trouble getting warmed up, I'm considering different options to do something about this.  i drove it to Fobello, and in fact the only time I saw a temperature slightly over 70°C on the guage was on top of the col d'iseran, 2770 meters...and that was with half the radiator covered up!

I'm not in favour of using the twin scooter thermostat solution, as I feel this in warm up too much blocks the circulation of the coolant by the pump, possibly leading to local hotspots in the engine during warmup.
Another solution is a additional manually operated blind, but that off course would require constand monitoring, and might be overlooked when one ends up in a traffic jam....I know I could....with dire consequenses...

Third option is to build a proper bypassed thremostat solution, which is maybe doable, but will off course not look very original....

But for any solution the important question is: what is a good normal operation temperature to aim for???
davidwheeler
Permanent resident

« Reply #1 on: 28 March, 2023, 01:21:38 PM »

I think this is not the sort of question that would have been asked in the 20s when thermostats were unknown and in winter one may apply a muff to the radiator.    I have looked in my vintage motor mechanic books.  The pldest, just post war, does not mention temperature at all.   The 1965 one talks of 155F to 165F which is about 70C.       

David Wheeler.  Lambdas, Aprilia, Fulvia Sport.(formerly Appia and Thema as well).
Dikappa
Megaposter

« Reply #2 on: 29 March, 2023, 10:18:52 AM »

Thanks David!  I had a hunch 70°C would be fine, I rather have the engine a tad too cool, since coolant circulation is far from ideal as we know!

Koen
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd