Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
27 April, 2024, 08:44:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Flaminia PF coupe resurrection  (Read 11501 times)
Kevinlincs
Permanent resident

« Reply #45 on: 18 February, 2023, 11:50:38 PM »

Well, I gave it my best shot and failed.
The heads are stuck fast, seemingly been on since 1963 and never taken off. There are a few studs each side that are corroded solid.
New plan is to flush out the waterways as best I can with a pressure washer and rebuild it back up.
I've checked the crankpins and shells and they aren't bad so will go again.
The bores have cleaned up OK by using thin oil spray and pulling the pistons up and down, the very small amount of corrosion soon went and the pistons were soon sucking and blowing away merrily.

Not ideal as I was set to do a full strip and rebuild but apart from taking an angle grinder to the heads and sourcing new ones I can't see what else to do.
At least I now know that it will all rotate.

The alternative isn't really an option, scrap the engine and car.
This way it still has a fighting chance.

Not given up yet...

Flavia 815 coupe
Dedra turbo
Delta integrale
Dave Gee
Megaposter

« Reply #46 on: 19 February, 2023, 11:45:41 AM »

Kevin

I have spare heads and engines should you need them

Dave
Kevinlincs
Permanent resident

« Reply #47 on: 19 February, 2023, 08:08:52 PM »

Thanks Dave, appreciate your help, email sent.

Meanwhile I brought the sump and oil pump home to clean them in my larger parts washer in my shed which has parafin in which works great at oily stuff.
There was a thick layer of congealed old oil in the sump, scraping it up with a plastic scraper ended up with almost half a litre of sludge, which does tend to try to turn back to oil once disturbed!
The oil strainer was thick with it all, I've left it in the parts washer to soak it all once stripped down, the gauze was thick with it all which actually turned blue in colour when cleaning, the oil stains that is not the strainer!
One thing that may answer the poser of the broken oil pump drive though, the pump itself was pretty much seized with the old oil.
Maybe the few degrees I got the engine to turn was enough to crack it, the staining I noted under the broken off piece from it being sat in oil? Either way it needs another drive, hopefully Dave will be able to rescue me there.
Once it had been dunked in the parafin it turned slightly so after a soaking and a strip down it should be fine.

* IMG_20230219_113449.jpg (1925.84 KB, 2448x3264 - viewed 53 times.)

* IMG_20230219_114029.jpg (1672.8 KB, 2448x3264 - viewed 46 times.)

Flavia 815 coupe
Dedra turbo
Delta integrale
Mitka

« Reply #48 on: 20 February, 2023, 12:36:56 PM »

Wow! Nice to see progress ✌️
Kevinlincs
Permanent resident

« Reply #49 on: 23 February, 2023, 10:13:05 PM »

Progress of sorts Mitka! But yes, progress.
This afternoon I had some time off work so got the engine outside whilst on the stand and pressure washed the waterways out, there was a big build up of general filth and scum, powdery mostly which can clog waterways. As I'm not now taking the heads off (not for the want of trying) then I need to do what I can to try and do my best to get it running. The waterways actually cleaned out quite well, some flaky bits came through the water pump mount so it's flushed to some extent. I did take the spark plugs out after and have a look with my boroscope to see if any pistons were now supporting lakes, thankfully all still dry! Doesn't still mean the head gasket couldn't have failed between the waterway and oil galeries of course, but at least there isn't a huge hole to the bores. Again, no guarantees that once it's running and warmed that things will take a turn for the worst, but we'll overcome that if needs be.

A gasket set is on order and Dave is on the case for the other bits and pieces needed so coming along.
My GTV parts will be ready next week so that will take the following weekend or two so maybe by then the parts will be at hand to build it back up.

I've brought a few more parts home to clean, rocker covers for example. Should they be a crackle black finish? Mine were filthy and with a wash and blow off with the airline they flaked off revealing shiny aluminium. Were they ploished or as I suspect, in the crackle finish.

Flavia 815 coupe
Dedra turbo
Delta integrale
frankxhv773t
Permanent resident

« Reply #50 on: 24 February, 2023, 12:09:25 PM »

Rocker covers are a crackle black finish (the picture is very definitely not mine). My fingers are crossed that things will turn out OK building up the engine with the heads in situ.

* Touring GT 2.5 3C 2_o.jpg (643.02 KB, 2048x1536 - viewed 42 times.)
Kevinlincs
Permanent resident

« Reply #51 on: 24 February, 2023, 07:55:48 PM »

Thanks Frank, thought they were from the pictures I've seen.

A few people have raised eyebrows at my plans.
I know the engine is a gamble building it up as is, but the alternative to doing it this way is just to cut the heads off as far as I can see.
Maybe once it's had a heat cycle or two it may release the grip of the studs.
Maybe if I'm lucky it will run, maybe not.
The alternative is to sell it as a parts vehicle.
I'm not in the market to spend thousands of pounds at the engine doing a full rebuild with the can of worms that it would become

I reiterate, if anyone wants to buy it from me now, or later then ask. It's not expensive! But the more time and money I spend the more expensive it gets.

I probably won't get at it for another few weeks so if someone comes along with a little over £2k they can have it, and do whatever they deem the correct for the car. Me, I'm just trying to do the best I can to save it.

Flavia 815 coupe
Dedra turbo
Delta integrale
Parisien
Administrator
Permanent resident

« Reply #52 on: 24 February, 2023, 08:17:22 PM »

Kevin, you've a pm

P

Frank Gallagher
Richard Fridd
Permanent resident

« Reply #53 on: 24 February, 2023, 08:56:33 PM »

My spare pair of rocker covers have lettering in exposed alluminium. The casting is different to the pair on my car particularly noticeable in the area of the stud holes. There again the valve gear is different also.

Richard

* Screenshot_20230224-170853.png (1219.25 KB, 720x1280 - viewed 48 times.)

Richard Nevison Fridd                                                                      Happy Lancia, Happy Life
frankxhv773t
Permanent resident

« Reply #54 on: 25 February, 2023, 09:59:47 AM »

If it hadn't been seized Kevin you would probably have tried to coax it into life. It doesn't seem radically different to patch up what you can dismantle and give it a go with the heads untouched.
lancianut666
Permanent resident

Slow but rough

« Reply #55 on: 25 February, 2023, 03:07:17 PM »

Hi all
When I dismantled my Appia engine I had great difficulty removing the head and after a lot of failed attempts I made a head puller plate by using a head gasket to mark out the positions of the head studs and drilling and tapping accordingly to the stud thread sizes. I had a few problems fastening the plate to the head but once this had been achieved the corrosion etc stood no chance against the force all the screw threads could exert on the tops of the studs in the block. I know people have used this method and it should be easier to make than one for the Appia engine as the head is much larger to cover all four cylinders.
Clarkey

Fulvia Coupe S2 Flavia Coupe 1967 1.8 Kugelfischer Prisma 1.6 carb Y10 Fila Y10 Touring Dedra 1.8 Dedra 2.0 Turbo Appia S1
Kevinlincs
Permanent resident

« Reply #56 on: 25 February, 2023, 07:37:38 PM »

If it hadn't been seized Kevin you would probably have tried to coax it into life. It doesn't seem radically different to patch up what you can dismantle and give it a go with the heads untouched.

Exactly my thoughts Frank, almost like I've nothing to lose in trying this for the sake of £100 or so of gaskets to refit what I've got apart.
With a slim chance it will be OK, I accpet it may not be OK, but at this stage I'm happy to try this rather than opening a big can of worms and damagimng either the heads or block, or both!
If it turns out to be a fail then I've lost little more than time and at least the engine isn't "seized" now which was off putting for most.
If anyone then wants to embark on a full, no expense spared rebuild then at least the basics would be there.

Flavia 815 coupe
Dedra turbo
Delta integrale
Richard Fridd
Permanent resident

« Reply #57 on: 10 March, 2023, 03:51:33 PM »

From C&SC 1990 (Martin Buckley).

Richard

* Screenshot_20230310-155223.png (1063.97 KB, 720x1280 - viewed 46 times.)
« Last Edit: 10 March, 2023, 03:54:04 PM by Richard Fridd » Logged

Richard Nevison Fridd                                                                      Happy Lancia, Happy Life
Kevinlincs
Permanent resident

« Reply #58 on: 10 March, 2023, 10:09:44 PM »

There has been a development with the car, all to be revealed. Grin

Flavia 815 coupe
Dedra turbo
Delta integrale
Richard Fridd
Permanent resident

« Reply #59 on: 11 March, 2023, 07:20:29 AM »

Sounds good. Did this involve an oxy/ acetylene torch and ice remedy? There are obviously spare engines/ parts in the VL spares section.

Richard

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd