Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
27 April, 2024, 08:45:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Flaminia PF coupe resurrection  (Read 11502 times)
Kevinlincs
Permanent resident

« on: 26 January, 2023, 10:22:35 PM »

Some may know I recently bought this coupe from the guy I bought my integrale from, it had languished in his garage since 1980 and although reported to have been started up at regular intervals it has siezed. From being stood or maybe taken off the road all those years back because of an issue? Who knows...time will tell.

I did offer this car for sale if anyone fancied a project as it's a low miles. low owner car but I guess nobody wants a tired coupe with a dead motor! Only fools like me seem to buy them...

So with that all said I have decided to make a start and at least get it running and see where that leads. If anyone at any point gets an urge to take it on then that's fine, but for now I'll press on and grow to like it that much that it will become a keeper!

I took the spark plugs out a few weeks ago and poured some parafin down the bores, it's a good cleaning agent and quite slippy so should have been able to free off any sticking pistons. That didn't help any as it still refused to move at all using a socket and 2 foot bar on the crank pulley.
A boroscope down each bore showed they all looked in better shape than I feared, no signs of rust and all nice and shiny.
Rather than force it anymore I've decided to remove the engine and put it on the engine stand so I can assess it better, take the sump off to inspect the crank etc. Could easily be the camshaft that's siezed, something in the valves, anything really so forcing it to move will only cause more damage.

Flavia 815 coupe
Dedra turbo
Delta integrale
Kevinlincs
Permanent resident

« Reply #1 on: 26 January, 2023, 10:35:24 PM »

Most parts removed ready for the engine to be lifted out on Saturday, I'll push it over my inspection pit to detach the prop shaft and the exhausts along with the starter and generator wiring.
Once out I'll make a frame to attach it to the engine stand to allow access to the sump, flywheel and heads. Probably end up being a full strip down, rarely ends up being less involved than expected.

* IMG_20230126_171131.jpg (1718.26 KB, 3264x2448 - viewed 63 times.)

* IMG_20230126_165258.jpg (1944.11 KB, 3264x2448 - viewed 58 times.)

Flavia 815 coupe
Dedra turbo
Delta integrale
Richard Fridd
Permanent resident

« Reply #2 on: 27 January, 2023, 06:57:25 AM »

Almost forgot to mark the propshaft myself. Useful for reassembly, with balance in mind.

Richard

Richard Nevison Fridd                                                                      Happy Lancia, Happy Life
Kevinlincs
Permanent resident

« Reply #3 on: 27 January, 2023, 09:03:37 AM »

Yes, workshop manual mentions marking prop position Richard so will do that.
Doesn't mention how the  connection comes apart though, guess it will be obvious once I'm, underneath?

Flavia 815 coupe
Dedra turbo
Delta integrale
Richard Fridd
Permanent resident

« Reply #4 on: 27 January, 2023, 09:15:15 AM »

Three nuts/ bolts/splitpins. My engine was happier being lifted slightly 'rear end first' to avoid fouling near to the front mounting brackets.
  Glad you are getting started!

Richard

Richard Nevison Fridd                                                                      Happy Lancia, Happy Life
williamcorke
Rebel Poster

B10

« Reply #5 on: 27 January, 2023, 10:18:27 AM »

Really looking forward to this thread. I was sorely tempted when you offered the car for sale Kevin, but have too many projects already.

'37 Aprilia
'50 B10
'53 B20
'68 Flavia Vignale
'55 Giulietta Sprint
S1 Land Rover
frankxhv773t
Permanent resident

« Reply #6 on: 27 January, 2023, 01:23:00 PM »

Good luck. I seem to remember having fun and games with this job. Because the clutch is at the back the prop shaft is locked to the engine which means if the engine is seized you can't turn the prop to get at all the nuts on the coupling. As my car was a scrapper I ended up cutting an access hole in the top of the transmission tunnel.
SanRemo78
Rebel Poster

« Reply #7 on: 27 January, 2023, 05:25:59 PM »

I'm looking forward to following this thread! Just embarked on a Beta restoration myself!
Mitka

« Reply #8 on: 27 January, 2023, 08:45:18 PM »

Exiting news! It will be worth it when that fantastic 6 wakes up again!
Kevinlincs
Permanent resident

« Reply #9 on: 27 January, 2023, 10:51:41 PM »

Thanks for the encouragement guys, although I did fear I'd have to rotate to get at all the bolts, that could be fun!
I'll let you know how I get on...

Flavia 815 coupe
Dedra turbo
Delta integrale
Richard Fridd
Permanent resident

« Reply #10 on: 28 January, 2023, 06:54:22 AM »

Would 'saw wire' be of use?

Richard

Kevinlincs
Permanent resident

« Reply #11 on: 28 January, 2023, 11:31:03 PM »

Well, it's out!
A bit more of a faff than I thought it may be, but once I remembered the comment about raising the rear (thanks Richard) it came out.
Pretty tight for clearance despite looking like plenty of space, the cooling fins on the front of the sump getting caught on the engine mounting bracket makes the job worse.
I first thought that raising the front out first so it could raise out like a submarine didn't work. Then I remembered about the raising the rear comment. Great work guys, those comments help!
Ran out of time to make a frame to mount it to the engine stand, I'll do that next time if I don't get the GTV parts back.

Looking forward to seeing what's gone on. Every water gallery is furred up so it is probably a few years since it ran. But whatever has happened, it's locked solid so far...

* IMG_20230128_201353.jpg (1953.35 KB, 3264x2448 - viewed 65 times.)

Flavia 815 coupe
Dedra turbo
Delta integrale
lancianut666
Permanent resident

Slow but rough

« Reply #12 on: 29 January, 2023, 10:01:07 AM »

Go Kev! Go!
Clarkey
ps that engine looks mighty complicated...

Fulvia Coupe S2 Flavia Coupe 1967 1.8 Kugelfischer Prisma 1.6 carb Y10 Fila Y10 Touring Dedra 1.8 Dedra 2.0 Turbo Appia S1
Spider2

« Reply #13 on: 29 January, 2023, 01:05:50 PM »

Hi Kevin
I would love to help out in stripping and re-building that engine if you would like another pair of hands. I guess you are in Lincs??
Cheers
Simon
Kevinlincs
Permanent resident

« Reply #14 on: 29 January, 2023, 04:53:56 PM »

Yes, NE Lincs not far from Cadwell Park/Louth area.
I'll let you know should I need it.
Quite looking forward to having a look at it myself.
Some engineering looks really interesting in the valve gear.

Flavia 815 coupe
Dedra turbo
Delta integrale
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd