Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
27 April, 2024, 03:51:41 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rear axle Torsion bars dimension changes  (Read 1106 times)
DavidHill

« on: 22 December, 2022, 09:15:49 AM »

Morning,

I have my rear axle apart (as a consequence of the major battle I had to take part the rear wheel bearing)...I am now putting it all back together, and in the process have noticed that the torsion bars are different diameters.  One is 17.5mm diameter, the other is 19.5mm diameter.  Does anyone know why they are different...and if it is an issue having two differing thicknesses?

cheers
David.
Jay
Megaposter

« Reply #1 on: 22 December, 2022, 03:37:52 PM »

Interesting, I can measure mine over the weekend, do you know which side each one came off?   

Julian Wood, Kingston, London
simonandjuliet
Permanent resident

« Reply #2 on: 22 December, 2022, 06:39:23 PM »

Is this an S1 vs S2 thing - ie do you have one of each ?

The later cars had larger outer wheel bearings (and therefore stub-axles) and different dampers, so was this also part of the change ? I would need to check the parts books to see if the torsion bars have different references

Don't Lambdas have different driver/passenger side springs ? Theoretically the cars were driven more often just by the driver(no passengers) so it was set up with stiffer springs on the driver's side Huh?

Fact or fable ?

AmilcarCGS, ApriliaCabrio,S2Aprilia,Ardea c'cino,S4 Ardea, Appia c'cino, Appia f'cino,B20 s4,4 R4 Sinpar, R4 Rodeo, 65 Moke, 2xR60 Tractor, 2xToselli 78, Moto Guzzi Ercole, Disco 3, Mini ALL4 JCW, Moto Guzzi Cardellino, Fulvia GT, RE Himalayan, Ypsilon
DavidHill

« Reply #3 on: 23 December, 2022, 12:24:47 PM »

well the thicker torsion bar did come out of the drivers side, so maybe that is a theory...I have now refitted both of them, so will see how it rides...but before I do that I need to position the handbrake cable arms the correct side of the spring...which will mean either dropping the spring again (which I am loath to do) or stripping the brakes and taking the back plates off...which I think is the less stressful method!  Oh the joys of Aprilia ownership !
Dikappa
Megaposter

« Reply #4 on: 23 December, 2022, 04:11:44 PM »

Simon,

I haven no information that there would be different springs left or right on the Lambda, and also the factory drawings do not show this.  Just for your info!

Koen
Jay
Megaposter

« Reply #5 on: 24 December, 2022, 01:12:00 PM »

Both of my series 1 car are 17.5mm od, looks like you have an odd pair

Julian Wood, Kingston, London
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd