Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
27 April, 2024, 03:29:25 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fulvia Sport 1st Series - main beam position on indicator stalk  (Read 2174 times)
Sebastien
Megaposter

« on: 14 November, 2022, 11:42:46 AM »

I have a question regarding the main beam position of the indicator stalk, on my recently purchased 1st Series Fulvia Sport (818.362, so a 1969 Sport 1,3S).
In the main beam position, the stalk is against the steering wheel.
When dipped, normal position when driving with oncoming traffic, the stalk is away from the steering wheel. This makes it more difficult to use the indicators with the fingers with the hand on the steering wheel and seems counterintuitive.
So my question:
Is this the normal position for the stalk on a 1st serie Fulvia, or is something wrong with the dipping/main beam function of the stalk?
I did not find the position clearly defined in the 1st series Fulvia user manual!
I also cannot remember that I had the same problem on my previous Fulvia GTE...but that is many years ago now.

* Fulvia Sport front - 1.jpg (522.39 KB, 1280x960 - viewed 55 times.)
lancialulu
Press Officer
Permanent resident

« Reply #1 on: 14 November, 2022, 03:06:02 PM »

I think it is correct. Stalk down and towards steering wheel brings on main beam. Except on my RHD drive sport fitted with LHD stalk..... Sorry I was thinking S2 Ignore what I said
« Last Edit: 15 November, 2022, 04:08:08 PM by lancialulu » Logged

Its not the winning but taking part! or is it taking apart?
Lancias:
1955 Aurelia B12
1967 Fulvia 1.3HFR
1972 Fulvia 1600HF
1972 Fulvia Sport 1600
1983 HPE VX
1988 Delta 1.6GTie
1998 Zeta 21.  12v
fay66
Permanent resident

« Reply #2 on: 15 November, 2022, 11:34:44 AM »

I think it is correct. Stalk down and towards steering wheel brings on main beam. Except on my RHD drive sport fitted with LHD stalk.....
1st series Berlina which is the same as my ser 1 Coupe I used to own.
Pull the switch out,- side lights and dipped beams, push stalk towards dash, dip beams go out and you are on sidelights/parking lights only, very disconcerting if you do this the first time in the dark!

Rotate switch to the right and you have all beams, push the stalk down away from you, main beams come on with the blue main beam warning light come on.
Brian
8227 Cool

Own 1966 Fulvia 2C Berlina since 1997, back on road 11-1999.Known as "Fay"
2006 Renault Megane 1 5 Dci Sports Tourer
Dedra Technical Adviser
Spider2

« Reply #3 on: 15 November, 2022, 04:40:56 PM »

Yes, my LHD series 1 Fulvia Sport is switch lever pushed away from steering wheel is main beam.
There is an interesting feature that I have only today discovered. I knew that pushing the horn button (that is not a horn) flashes on the dipped headlights. However, if you are driving with full beam pressing the "horn button" changes the headlights to dip, release the "horn button" returns the lights to main beam. Any reason why Lancia engineered that one? 
Cheers
Simon
Sebastien
Megaposter

« Reply #4 on: 15 November, 2022, 05:02:12 PM »

Thank you all for your comments.
So my Sport is somehow wired the wrong way around - but it is not easy to put right.
I would also like to put in a relay in the circuit for the dipped headlights - originally the current goes directly through the switch, which heats up a lot, when the lights are on. So some more tinkering to do this winter.

Regarding the "horn button", which is the light flasher: originally it flashes the dipped headlights - in Italy.
This was already not acceptable in Switzerland when the car was new. The original Swiss homologation papers mention this. So the wiring had to be modified on Swiss cars to flash on the main beam. That mode was checked on mine, on its technical visit after importation from France, a few weeks ago.
The black ring around the center button actions the (very nice) horn, although on my car it was not working reliably: a small drop of solder on the short brass rod that contacts the ring has helped establish reliable contact, when needed!

Spider2

« Reply #5 on: 16 November, 2022, 11:52:10 AM »

Sebastien. So what happens when you are driving on dipped beam and press the "horn button"? Does it go to main beam? If so that is more logical and useful than the original configuration.
fay66
Permanent resident

« Reply #6 on: 16 November, 2022, 03:04:24 PM »

Sebastien. So what happens when you are driving on dipped beam and press the "horn button"? Does it go to main beam? If so that is more logical and useful than the original configuration.

Not main beam headlamp flash

Dedra Technical Adviser
fay66
Permanent resident

« Reply #7 on: 16 November, 2022, 03:15:44 PM »

Thank you all for your comments.
So my Sport is somehow wired the wrong way around - but it is not easy to put right.
I would also like to put in a relay in the circuit for the dipped headlights - originally the current goes directly through the switch, which heats up a lot, when the lights are on. So some more tinkering to do this winter.

Regarding the "horn button", which is the light flasher: originally it flashes the dipped headlights - in Italy.
This was already not acceptable in Switzerland when the car was new. The original Swiss homologation papers mention this. So the wiring had to be modified on Swiss cars to flash on the main beam. That mode was checked on mine, on its technical visit after importation from France, a few weeks ago.
The black ring around the center button actions the (very nice) horn, although on my car it was not working reliably: a small drop of solder on the short brass rod that contacts the ring has helped establish reliable contact, when needed!

Do you have a photo of the short brass rod? I just seem to have a wire with  solder on the end, although it was working, also the are horns not working, all happened at the same time, which I think is due to the contact under the bottom brass plate, that has a spring which pushes it down onto the ring below the steering wheel, this has worn and is no longer making contact.
Brian
8227 Cool

Dedra Technical Adviser
Sebastien
Megaposter

« Reply #8 on: 16 November, 2022, 05:41:59 PM »

Yes, the "horn button" now always flashes with main beam, also when used while driving on dipped beam.
Sebastien
Megaposter

« Reply #9 on: 16 November, 2022, 05:44:41 PM »

Do you have a photo of the short brass rod? I just seem to have a wire with  solder on the end, although it was working, also the are horns not working, all happened at the same time, which I think is due to the contact under the bottom brass plate, that has a spring which pushes it down onto the ring below the steering wheel, this has worn and is no longer making contact.
Brian
8227 Cool

Here is a photo of a similar brass rod on another steering wheel. It is springloaded, and isolated (of course), and makes contact with the ring on the steering column (when it is long enough!)

* contact rod.jpg (383.16 KB, 3024x4032 - viewed 54 times.)
« Last Edit: 16 November, 2022, 06:11:25 PM by Sebastien » Logged
fay66
Permanent resident

« Reply #10 on: 17 November, 2022, 11:34:07 PM »

Do you have a photo of the short brass rod? I just seem to have a wire with  solder on the end, although it was working, also the are horns not working, all happened at the same time, which I think is due to the contact under the bottom brass plate, that has a spring which pushes it down onto the ring below the steering wheel, this has worn and is no longer making contact.
Brian
8227 Cool

Here is a photo of a similar brass rod on another steering wheel. It is springloaded, and isolated (of course), and makes contact with the ring on the steering column (when it is long enough!)
Thank you Sebastian,
A picture paints a 1000 words!
This is the end which I think has worn too much to make contact.
It looks like this might possibly be reversed and the other end make the contact instead, as it looks in the Tavoli that both ends are the same.
At present without removing the steering wheel I can only see the other end where sits in the hole in the wheel with the spring sitting on top of it, should the end of spring make contact with the underside of the brass plate above it?
Item 3 in the diagram is part of the headlamp flash, but the bottom end of this has a cable with a solder blob at the end, this just seems to go through the steering wheel hub nut, and I don't know if there should be anything else, as i don't understand how it makes contact with anything?
Brian
8227 Cool

* IMG-20221106-WA0009.jpg (152.74 KB, 1600x1039 - viewed 64 times.)

Dedra Technical Adviser
chriswgawne
Permanent resident

« Reply #11 on: 19 November, 2022, 10:30:29 AM »

I realise have a couple of new 'OE #28 on Tav 46'  graphite type contacts if anyone needs one. Presumably these wear over time?
Chris

* Steering column graphite contact horn headlamp.jpg (111.83 KB, 2016x1512 - viewed 53 times.)

Chris Gawne
Mobile: 07778 216552
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd