Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
28 April, 2024, 11:41:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Aprilia window winder handles (Augusta)  (Read 2013 times)
brian
Megaposter

« on: 29 October, 2022, 05:03:27 PM »

On the SPR the driver's door window winder broke by the knob. This is exactly where the rear offside handle did the same a few years back. I stuck it together with a steel pin with Araldite and it is still (just about) working. So I have 2 broken winders. Of the other 2 (intact), one is an Augusta one and the other an intact Aprilia one.
I note discussion in 2012 which was really before I had an interest in Aprilias about remanufacture but it looks as if interest petered out and it never happened. Is this true? Is there a contemporary alternative eg Morris Ford etc.
Augusta handles obviously work and last well so I am tempted to fit these but I have only one spare. Also the chrome mounts are different and I have only very poor example.
Advice please

Brian Hands

1922 Hands Tourer
1934 Augusta standard saloon
1938 Aprilia S1 saloon
1953 Aurelia B10
1965 Flavia Sport
Spider2

« Reply #1 on: 29 October, 2022, 05:52:06 PM »

Hi Brian
Cannot help you with your window winders, just wondering if Carolines's roadside fettling of your electrics holding up OK.
Love your Aprilia. When you finally decide you have too many Lancia's... Huh?Huh???
Best regards to the family
Simon
CesareFerrari

« Reply #2 on: 29 October, 2022, 06:54:43 PM »

I have Appia door handles and winders on my car, which I think might be more easily found from the Italian parts suppliers. They look good to my eyes, and are robust.
simonandjuliet
Permanent resident

« Reply #3 on: 29 October, 2022, 07:56:53 PM »

Appia handles work really well - I have my originals but keep them in a box because they are too fragile

There have been various attempts at remaking them but every time they fall down because no-one is prepared to pay the price for the casting and then chroming

80 plus euros for repro or 20 euros for Appia - that's the problem !

AmilcarCGS, ApriliaCabrio,S2Aprilia,Ardea c'cino,S4 Ardea, Appia c'cino, Appia f'cino,B20 s4,4 R4 Sinpar, R4 Rodeo, 65 Moke, 2xR60 Tractor, 2xToselli 78, Moto Guzzi Ercole, Disco 3, Mini ALL4 JCW, Moto Guzzi Cardellino, Fulvia GT, RE Himalayan, Ypsilon
brian
Megaposter

« Reply #4 on: 29 October, 2022, 08:18:20 PM »

Looks like Appia then!
Simon - Aprilia electrics were a nightmare going home - stopped a dozen times in 13 hours between Edinburgh and Derby, AA twice. Kept restarting after random intervals.  No answers so changed ignition switch to old Augusta one which looks identical and so far no problem, but there again, frightened to drive any distance!!!

Brian Hands

1922 Hands Tourer
1934 Augusta standard saloon
1938 Aprilia S1 saloon
1953 Aurelia B10
1965 Flavia Sport
simonandjuliet
Permanent resident

« Reply #5 on: 30 October, 2022, 08:16:22 AM »

I have heard about several problems associated with the switch - you can strip and clean them but it isn't that easy - I did the Cabrio switch and put it on the thread - I'll dig out the pictures and wiring plans again in case you feel the urge

AmilcarCGS, ApriliaCabrio,S2Aprilia,Ardea c'cino,S4 Ardea, Appia c'cino, Appia f'cino,B20 s4,4 R4 Sinpar, R4 Rodeo, 65 Moke, 2xR60 Tractor, 2xToselli 78, Moto Guzzi Ercole, Disco 3, Mini ALL4 JCW, Moto Guzzi Cardellino, Fulvia GT, RE Himalayan, Ypsilon
Spider2

« Reply #6 on: 30 October, 2022, 10:38:11 AM »

No fun having a beautiful Aprilia and being too frightened to drive her. Sounds like you better pass her on to Caroline for a few quid. She loves playing with old car electrics, would keep her out of the house for days!
Sounds like the ignition switch could be the root cause. It makes sense as it does a lot of jobs, but i guess the only test is a long drive.
I cured the intermittent misfire on the Fulvia by turning on the headlights! (VR was at fault bringing down the 123 ignition). I assume the lights on the Aprilia go through the ignition switch, so was the car less reliable with the lights on? I am guessing switch getting hot.
Cheers
Simon
Andrew Cox

« Reply #7 on: 30 October, 2022, 08:33:03 PM »

I purchased window winders from Cavallitto six years ago and have had no problems. I see they are still listed on the website. Joe Wilson made a batch of the driver’s winder ( with the drop down knob) out of stainless steel via the lost wax method casting method. The colour difference isn’t noticeable once installed and it is certainly robust without any of the hydrogen embrittlement issues that come with chrome plating. I think Gerald Batt bought the balance of the batch from Joe.

I carry (in my toolkit)  a length of insulated wire fitted with alligator clips which certainly helps with diagnosing electrical faults and makes hot wiring the car to get you home simple.
« Last Edit: 30 October, 2022, 08:35:43 PM by Andrew Cox » Logged

Artena/Lince Special, 1938 Aprilia (ex Stainless Stephen), 1938 Aprilia chassis, 1966 Fulvia coupe, ex Lambda custodian.
Jay
Megaposter

« Reply #8 on: 03 November, 2022, 01:38:15 PM »

I purchased a full set of Appia internal door and winder handles for my Aprilia project, as I have a mishmash of broken, going to break and different patterns all in pitted condition.
I got them off ebay from an Italian breakers at about £180 including postage to the UK, 8 items in total. They were in good condition in good quality aluminium, and polished up treat, saving any re-chroming costs.

However, they did require a fair amount of needle filing to fit, so don’t get too upset if they initially don’t fit, they will.   

Julian Wood, Kingston, London
simonandjuliet
Permanent resident

« Reply #9 on: 04 November, 2022, 02:59:12 PM »

I was just looking to see where my set of Aprilia door handles are and discovered that I have more than I thought , so if anyone is stuck for the door opening handles (not window winders) I can probably help

davidwheeler
Permanent resident

« Reply #10 on: 12 November, 2022, 12:57:42 PM »

No fun having a beautiful Aprilia and being too frightened to drive her. Sounds like you better pass her on to Caroline for a few quid. She loves playing with old car electrics, would keep her out of the house for days!
Sounds like the ignition switch could be the root cause. It makes sense as it does a lot of jobs, but i guess the only test is a long drive.
I cured the intermittent misfire on the Fulvia by turning on the headlights! (VR was at fault bringing down the 123 ignition). I assume the lights on the Aprilia go through the ignition switch, so was the car less reliable with the lights on? I am guessing switch getting hot.
Cheers
Simon
A while ago I lost my keys in Lidl.   (They turned up at the till a few days later!).   It was simple to hotwire the ignition.   I just happened to have a lengh of suitable wire in the glovebox!

David Wheeler.  Lambdas, Aprilia, Fulvia Sport.(formerly Appia and Thema as well).
Spider2

« Reply #11 on: 13 November, 2022, 12:32:59 PM »

I guess every Lidl help
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd