Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
19 March, 2024, 06:19:48 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hello from a new member  (Read 12226 times)
fay66
Permanent resident

« Reply #15 on: 05 July, 2008, 12:39:21 AM »

Hi Ian,
Be careful what you're doing with the heater controls it isn't a straightforward turn a knob and it pulls a cable, all the heater controls are interconnected,  and I'm assuming you have the 3 knobs of the manual system rather than the electronic control which really can make life complicated Huh? so
Have a look at the attached diagrams etc from the manual. As we can only put on 4 pictures at a time I'll have to make this  a 2 pager.You don't actually say what the specific problem is? Roll Eyes is the fan motor not blowing properly? if that's the case it's a different problem, if you're not getting air distributed correctly try turning the air distribution selection knob to the left of the symbol you want, for some reason this is a common problem with Dedra manual heaters, probably been set up wrong in the first place.
Regarding hot oil smells, I was told by "Pebbly Beach" that the Lampredi twin cam is designed to use oil and to expect about 6oo miles per pint, out of my 5 only one was ever like that and indeed my first one n used to do about 1500 miles per pint until the head had to come off at 120k to change a leaking head gasket, after that it dropped to about 1000mpp. also check that the cambox isn't leaking oil on the far right hand side where the cambox meets the Cylinder head, it can leak he and drop down onto the top of a very hot exhaust downpipe, the last auto did that and it all had to come apart to fit a new gasket, not cheap to get done by a garage as the cambelt Counter balance shaft belt, Alternator / water pump & power steering belts all have to come off. If this happens, don't economise, change all the belts & the bearings at the same time.
The 3 manual gearbox Dedra's never did less than 30 MPg no matter how hard they were pushed in normal driving and often considerably more, & I have a bit of a leaden right foot Grin
On the other hand both Dedra Autos turned in abysmal fuel consumption, the best I achieved was about 30mpg on a run, in normal mixed driving, particularily if any town driving was involved it was always in the low 20's; the box is a VW electronic box but in Dedrea they got all the change points wrong, it won't stay in top at under 40mph, & when climbing or overtaking the damned things used to hang on to top gear & were exceedingly reluctant to change down, using the kick down is a bad idea as it promptly violently drops two gears, revs the guts out of the engine for about 2 seconds,  and and wacks back up a gear, finally sorted out the best technique is to leave the kickdown & the lever alone but use the sport mode button to change down then back to normal mode when the accelleration no longer required.
Tony Field who I bought the last one from used to do a lot of motorway work with it and said he used to get easily 30+mpg used in those conditions.

Own 1966 Fulvia 2C Berlina since 1997, back on road 11-1999.Known as "Fay"
2006 Renault Megane 1 5 Dci Sports Tourer
Dedra Technical Adviser
fay66
Permanent resident

« Reply #16 on: 05 July, 2008, 12:47:16 AM »

Sorry I hit the wrong button and sent this before adding attachments.
these will be in 2 parts due to only being allowd 4 pictures at a time, bit of a pain that one Angry

Brian
8227 Embarrassed

* img420.jpg (112.93 KB, 816x1121 - viewed 312 times.)

* img421.jpg (93.99 KB, 816x1121 - viewed 304 times.)

* img422.jpg (100.02 KB, 816x1121 - viewed 306 times.)

* img423.jpg (81.29 KB, 816x1121 - viewed 310 times.)

Dedra Technical Adviser
fay66
Permanent resident

« Reply #17 on: 05 July, 2008, 12:55:40 AM »

Part 2

also photo showing oil dripping onto exhaust manifold from where it also drips onto exhaust pipe.

Brian
8227 Cool

* img424.jpg (103.16 KB, 816x1121 - viewed 299 times.)

* img425.jpg (109.74 KB, 816x1121 - viewed 302 times.)

* img428.jpg (100.26 KB, 816x1121 - viewed 302 times.)

* DSCF0001.JPG (381.58 KB, 1600x1200 - viewed 305 times.)

Dedra Technical Adviser
ian.cleary
« Reply #18 on: 05 July, 2008, 06:47:06 AM »

Ah that's great Brian... it's the hot/cold mixture knob that doesn't seem to work correctly on mine. I had the dash apart the other night and can feel that the knob is moving the cable so whether the cable is adjusted incorrectly or whether there is a valve stuck deeper within the heater box will need to be investigated.

These diagrams should prove a great help, and in fact I have now the offer of a factory manual for the Dedra from a former owner of a Dedra turbo in Grimsby (seems to be a pocket of Lancia owners there). It will be a couple or so weeks before I can get my hands on that though so these diagrams will be invaluable in sorting out the heater before then.

With the engine I do get a decent mileage it seems, certainly more economical than my Prisma was, and it's lively enough. On the motorway I need to keep my wits about me, as it is very easy to find the car quietly climbing from 70mph. One thing about the wind noise etc. on the Prisma was that it kept me at legal speeds unless I really wanted otherwise, the refinement of the Dedra is a double edged sword Wink

Cheers... off to London with the daughter now for some kids entertainment. More car stuff / sanity tomorrow Cheesy
fay66
Permanent resident

« Reply #19 on: 05 July, 2008, 02:27:48 PM »

Ah that's great Brian... it's the hot/cold mixture knob that doesn't seem to work correctly on mine. I had the dash apart the other night and can feel that the knob is moving the cable so whether the cable is adjusted incorrectly or whether there is a valve stuck deeper within the heater box will need to be investigated.

These diagrams should prove a great help, and in fact I have now the offer of a factory manual for the Dedra from a former owner of a Dedra turbo in Grimsby (seems to be a pocket of Lancia owners there). It will be a couple or so weeks before I can get my hands on that though so these diagrams will be invaluable in sorting out the heater before then.
With the engine I do get a decent mileage it seems, certainly more economical than my Prisma was, and it's lively enough. On the motorway I need to keep my wits about me, as it is very easy to find the car quietly climbing from 70mph. One thing about the wind noise etc. on the Prisma was that it kept me at legal speeds unless I really wanted otherwise, the refinement of the Dedra is a double edged sword Wink

Cheers... off to London with the daughter now for some kids entertainment. More car stuff / sanity tomorrow Cheesy
Hi Ian
I've attached another bit of information that maybe helpful, just keep your fingers crossed it's not anything broken on one of the flaps in the box, to get at the heater box is a complete dash teardown Cry

The man from Grimsby sounds like smy friend Alan Cooper, he actually bought his Dedra Turbo new, he alo bought a 1999 New Delta Hpe (LHD Only)from Rotterdam & I also went to the same place to buy my Y Elefantino Rosso new in 1999. No doubt Steve put you onto him? as he's also a very good friend of Alans.

Are you goinbg to the AGM?

Brian
8227 Cool

* Dedra Heater Box Auxiliary Units005 copy.jpg (151.19 KB, 596x642 - viewed 300 times.)

Dedra Technical Adviser
ian.cleary
« Reply #20 on: 06 July, 2008, 05:56:17 PM »

Hi Brian,

Not able to get the the AGM this time I'm afraid, the timing was a bit wrong for me as I'd some tickets to take my daughter to a show in London and my parents were back from holiday today... so a hectic weekend Smiley

I had a bit of a look this morning and I was relieved to find that all is well at the heater box end of the mixture adjustment and manually moving the level proved it was working and not stuck or broken. The problem seems to be that when the mixture knob is twisted anti clockwise that it doesn't "push" the cable and move the lever, however if I manually move the lever to 100% cold position and then twist the mixture knob clockwise then it will happily move the lever to the 100% hot position, twisting the knob again anti clockwise doesn't move the lever. So I am almost certain that the problem lies within the knob mechanism and how the cable connects to the heater control panel... further news as it happens. I'm going to study those diagrams again, they're very helpful and I appreciate you taking the time to post them Smiley

/ic
karrozzi
« Reply #21 on: 07 July, 2008, 07:50:48 PM »

Hi Ian and welcome. I too am anew member although i am returning after 15 years out of the club!! I am a big fan of Dedras having owned a 1.6 and a 1.8 and never had any problems with either. I do think time has been kind to their looks too, with them looking classier now than when new. I would quite like one to use as my daily driver, but getting hard to find now.
Regards Marcus.
ian.cleary
« Reply #22 on: 07 July, 2008, 08:39:18 PM »

Hi Marcus,

Welcome (back) also then Smiley

Brian had made a post about a white Dedra for sale on here a couple of days back, I think the ad is gone but Brian might have the full scoop?

/ic
karrozzi
« Reply #23 on: 07 July, 2008, 10:06:06 PM »

Yes I saw it and have given the guy a ring but unfortunately have not got hold of him as yet. I will try again tomorrow as the car sounds just right for me. Will keep you posted on my progress, it would be nice to have a Dedra again....wonder if its got that smell..!? I know exactly what you mean by the way.
Regards, Marcus.
fay66
Permanent resident

« Reply #24 on: 08 July, 2008, 12:45:25 AM »

Hi Ian and welcome. I too am anew member although i am returning after 15 years out of the club!! I am a big fan of Dedras having owned a 1.6 and a 1.8 and never had any problems with either. I do think time has been kind to their looks too, with them looking classier now than when new. I would quite like one to use as my daily driver, but getting hard to find now.
Regards Marcus.

Hi Marcus,
Man after my own heart Grin as you have no doubt read I love Dedra's.

I rang the man last night & told him I'd put it on the Forum so it shouldn't come as a surprise if you get hold of him.

If you don't get hold of him another member approached me at the AGM on sunday with a view to cutting down his current crop of Lancia-Lotus & Alfa & is looking to sell his wifes Dedra, I don't think he will want a lot for it if it goes to a good home.

Brian
8227 Cool

Dedra Technical Adviser
ian.cleary
« Reply #25 on: 08 July, 2008, 11:54:11 AM »

What's the spec on that one Brian, if Marcus doesn't go for it then I also have someone that's seen mine and become all misty eyed Smiley

Looks like rehoming Dedras could be pretty fast and easy Cheesy

Kicking myself for not snapping up the ex-Lancia GB press car turbo that was up for £750 last year... live and learn eh? Smiley
fay66
Permanent resident

« Reply #26 on: 08 July, 2008, 04:08:44 PM »

Hi Ian,
Can't remember offhand I think it's a 2.0ie but I know Chris Catlow has upgraded the interior, seem to recall it might have a turbo interior now ?
He replaced the nearside rear wing after someone nudged it up the rear, he has a big claim to fame as contrary to what the workshop manual says "Remove headlining & rear windscreen" to replace a rear wing, chris figured out how to do so without that bit Grin

Try him on 01453 758123

Any problem, come back to me as he's sometimes hard to get hold of.

Brian
8227 Cool

Dedra Technical Adviser
ian.cleary
« Reply #27 on: 08 July, 2008, 11:30:18 PM »

Thanks Brian, shall give him a call...

On another note I've done as I said and started a dedicated thread in the Dedra section of the forum for general nonsense about my car and adventures with it. Moderators, please feed free to lock this thread if that's wanted (not sure on the admin etiquette of this forum yet Smiley )
Harvey
« Reply #28 on: 09 July, 2008, 08:13:52 AM »

You'll get censored (and censured) for bad language and confessing to a garage that is less than 50% Italian metal. Other than that, the forum is open for all discussions, hints and tips, and assorted waffle.  Smiley
karrozzi
« Reply #29 on: 14 July, 2008, 06:54:35 AM »

Just to let you know that I contacted Trevor about the Dedra Brian alerted me to. I am arranging to travel to Bury st Edmunds this week to view and hopefully buy the car. From Trevors description it sounds Ideal! Lets hope it is a worthwhile trip!! I am looking forward to having it as my daily driver. Marcus.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd