Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
28 March, 2024, 10:07:52 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Who do you insure with?  (Read 2776 times)
Scott
Megaposter

« on: 20 July, 2022, 03:00:32 PM »

Hi

The classic car insurance is due on my Fulvia.

I'm with Footman James and have been for some time. Was going to renew by 'phone but on googling footman james renewal to check their number one of the top results returned was actually their Trustpilot reviews:  https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/footmanjames.co.uk . Not exactly glowing.

Does anyone have an alternative insurer suggestion; one you'd recommend from personal experience? I've never had to claim on my insurance (and hopefully will never have to) but I don't want to find I've got a lame duck of an insurer (judging by those reviews) if something bad ever happened.

jus

« Reply #1 on: 20 July, 2022, 03:41:41 PM »

I use Hagerty for all of mine. They are so much better than any of the others in my opinion.

1969 S1 Fulvia 1.6
1971 Ex-works Fulvia 1.6
1975 Gr4 Stratos HF
1982 Beta Spyder
1982 037 Rally

Recently passed: 1986 Delta S4
Long since passed: Delta HF Turbo ie, Delta HF Turbo (carb), Delta 1500.
Mikenoangelo
Megaposter

« Reply #2 on: 20 July, 2022, 08:47:43 PM »

Hagerty are excellent to deal with - although I have never had to claim.
Mike Clark
Jai Sharma
Megaposter

« Reply #3 on: 21 July, 2022, 06:56:09 AM »

You could try Lockton, use them for my cars and quite efficient.
fay66
Permanent resident

« Reply #4 on: 21 July, 2022, 09:39:37 AM »

Footman James used to be good insurers years ago before they got took over by Aeon? after that they weren't very good, and speaking to advisers who knew nothing about classic cars.
Since leaving them I've been with Hagerty with an agreed Value, no claims, but no problems either.

Brian
8227 Cool

Own 1966 Fulvia 2C Berlina since 1997, back on road 11-1999.Known as "Fay"
2006 Renault Megane 1 5 Dci Sports Tourer
Dedra Technical Adviser
MisterNick

« Reply #5 on: 21 July, 2022, 03:30:59 PM »

Our car is insured with
https://www.classicinsuranceservices.com/contact-us/

i worked in the insurance industry for most of my working life and they were recommended. They certainly discuss requirements in a knowledgable way.
Our car is not whole yet and the bits are spread around various places, but they are all covered.

My kids have a motor trade policy through them for their classic car trimming business, and they are quite happy with them

Never had a claim though.

Other than having a policy with them I have no other affiliation with them.

Nick
Scott
Megaposter

« Reply #6 on: 22 July, 2022, 02:10:19 PM »

Really appreciate the feedback from you all.

Given the number of mentions of Hagerty, and the notably positive review profile (https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/hagerty.co.uk), I'll give them a go this time round. Hopefully not too much form filling!  Wink
davidwheeler
Permanent resident

« Reply #7 on: 01 August, 2022, 04:05:30 PM »

I was with Footman James then they doubled thier premiums so I changed to Flux who insure with Hasgerty anyway but are very helpful people.    Don't know how much I would save going direct but they do Flux Rescue which I have used once or twice with Lambda.

David Wheeler.  Lambdas, Aprilia, Fulvia Sport.(formerly Appia and Thema as well).
Richard Fridd
Permanent resident

« Reply #8 on: 01 August, 2022, 05:13:20 PM »

A Plan. The high street office is convenient.
My classic car/ modern car and also marine insurance is dealt with here. Regular staff who answer the phone promptly.
Richard

Richard Nevison Fridd                                                                      Happy Lancia, Happy Life
fay66
Permanent resident

« Reply #9 on: 02 August, 2022, 08:50:51 AM »

Footman James used to be good insurers years ago before they got took over by Aeon? after that they weren't very good, and speaking to advisers who knew nothing about classic cars.
Since leaving them I've been with Hagerty with an agreed Value, no claims, but no problems either.

Brian
8227 Cool
Renewed my 2c policy yesterday with limited mileage to suite, and with an agreed value, for just under £102.
No change in cost.
Brian
8227 Cool

Own 1966 Fulvia 2C Berlina since 1997, back on road 11-1999.Known as "Fay"
2006 Renault Megane 1 5 Dci Sports Tourer
Dedra Technical Adviser
Richard Fridd
Permanent resident

« Reply #10 on: 04 August, 2022, 02:44:33 PM »

£75.88 paid today. Fully comp/limited mileage.
I don't remember my Flaminia insurance being as low cost as that for a while, if ever.
Richard

Richard Nevison Fridd                                                                      Happy Lancia, Happy Life
oldracer

« Reply #11 on: 11 March, 2023, 05:00:58 PM »

Does everyone have 'salvage retention' written into their insurance? It's not something I'd ever thought about but last month a friend's Beta was written off by a new driver who rear-ended him.

He's gutted, but from what I understand his policy means he can keep the car after the excess and the salvage value have been deducted from his payout.

Therefore if someone wants to buy it and repair it, it means the car can at least be saved even if my friend isn't going to have the work done himself.

I appreciate my berlina isn't valuable, but I would hate for the insurance company to write it off and not even have the option of getting it back on the road again.

1972 1.3 Fulvia berlina S2
1937 DKW F7
Mihran

« Reply #12 on: 12 March, 2023, 08:39:43 AM »

yes it’s quite standard to purchase it for 10% of the agreed valuation once it’s written off

Years ago my bmw k1 was stolen and the repairs estimate was higher than the bike’s value (£3000)
The insurance paid me the value minus my excess
Then i bought the bike from them for £300 and sold it to a friend who has a hobby of repairing old bikes

He eventually sold it as a cat S or cat N

Fulvia s1, Thema 8.32 and a Citroen 2cv for diversity :-)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd