Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
28 March, 2024, 03:18:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Delta Steering......  (Read 5458 times)
angelorange
Megaposter

« on: 19 June, 2008, 09:00:27 AM »

"The new Delta has also a driving assistant that gives more safety, an electric eye monitors the road and gives feedback to steering wheel to suggest corrections to the driver"

Could this be the reason latest reports seem to damn the New Delta's steering feel?

e.g. : "the lifeless steering is a letdown, and the Delta can’t match the agility of a Ford Focus" Auto Express

The old Delta was always praised for it's steering feedback.

I'm entitled to my ignorance!
Harvey
« Reply #1 on: 19 June, 2008, 09:16:19 AM »

I can cope with electronic gadgetry as long as it can be switched off. I've always found Lancias to be amongst the best at steering feel, and would be disappointed if the Delta has Audi-like feel.
peterbaker
Permanent resident

www.retro-speed.co.uk

« Reply #2 on: 19 June, 2008, 06:38:28 PM »

This refers to the switch that allows ultralight steering for city use, some call it the 'girls steering' which of course is politcally incorrect

1961 Lancia Flavia 1.5 Berlina. FIAT Abarth. 1954 Daimler Conquest. 2003 MG ZT-T 135. 1998 SAAB 9-5 3 litre turbo.
Harvey
« Reply #3 on: 19 June, 2008, 07:11:00 PM »

I'd take exception to that description! I've been known to use the City setting when getting into really tight spaces. Embarrassed
It leaves me free to concentrate on the parking rather than tugging at the steering wheel...
peterbaker
Permanent resident

www.retro-speed.co.uk

« Reply #4 on: 19 June, 2008, 07:12:59 PM »

And me, as well as Peter Collins, its a very useful extra. Are you at Silverstone this weekend by any chance?

1961 Lancia Flavia 1.5 Berlina. FIAT Abarth. 1954 Daimler Conquest. 2003 MG ZT-T 135. 1998 SAAB 9-5 3 litre turbo.
Harvey
« Reply #5 on: 19 June, 2008, 07:29:42 PM »

I have another weekend of Disney princesses and Barbie DVDs to look forward to!

Do I need a navigator for the LMC Economy Run? I have my daughters then, too, but I was thinking of asking them if they'd like a weekend away (without mentioning the car stuff! - sneaky daddy Wink) Before I ask them, though, I ought to check whether I need a map-reader. I managed the Giro by following the sound of Tony's exhaust!  Smiley
peterbaker
Permanent resident

www.retro-speed.co.uk

« Reply #6 on: 19 June, 2008, 07:32:19 PM »

We do run a mix and match service,

Harvey
« Reply #7 on: 19 June, 2008, 07:43:00 PM »

Good - I'll let you know!

And now, feeling embarrassed about the thread-hijack, back to the topic....!!

If there's an electronic eye giving feedback to the driver through the wheel, it suggests more than the boost to the power steering. It sounds like more motors fixed to the column, which would lead me to expect less feel. A lot of this stuff is useful and life-saving, but disappointingly removes the driver one step further away from the road. I expect we'll all get used to in given enough time (like ABS, EBD, etc.) but surely there's still room for those of us who like simplicity in our cars, and can be trusted not to test the limit of the handling on every B-road corner?!
Neil Lewis
« Reply #8 on: 19 June, 2008, 10:09:36 PM »

Speak for yourself.  Isn't that what B roads are for?

Neil
Harvey
« Reply #9 on: 19 June, 2008, 10:44:13 PM »

Well, what I mean is there's a fine line between spirited driving within the limits of the car (and driver) and then there's setting out to find out where that limit is by testing it. There is a branch of engineering devoted to "destructive testing" but I've never encountered it as a principle for driving!  Smiley
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd