Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
28 March, 2024, 09:03:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sunday Times Clarkson 15th June  (Read 4934 times)
eyore
« on: 15 June, 2008, 11:37:36 AM »

How about this from Clarksons article in todays Sunday Times   

" If I were to walk round a modern-day motor show featuring all the latest cars with all their clever electronic gizmos,there might be one, or maybe two, that I'd think seriously of buying.
While walking round a field in Leicestershire recently, I found about 200 cars that I'd gladle swapped one of my kidneys for. There were a few I'd have swapped my heart for.
It was the Auto Italia festival, an event at which thousands of car enthusiasts spend the day demonstrating who is best with a vacuum cleaner. They even have a competition to see who has the cleanest car. It is ridiculous.
If you delve behind the preposterously laquered paint and Mr Sheened dashboards, however you are left with acre after acre of machinery that will leave you breathless with desire,I wanted everything.
And i'm not talking here about fields full of Ferraris. Mostly they were crummy 348's ,which had wooden tyres and suspension made from old pianos. Nor was I overly bothered by the Lambos either. Owning a Countach or a Diablo is just another way of saying that you are deformed.
No, the stuff that blew my trousers off was the humdrum 1970s cars from Fiat,Alfa Romeo and most of all ,suprisingly Lancia.
Let us begin our romp down the autostrada of yesteryear with the Lancia Montecarlo. Early models were plagued with a tendancy to lock up their front brakes and so Lancia took the unusual step of removing it from production while the problem was addressed. A year passed and everyone assumed the little sports car had gone for good. But no. Lancia then re released it, saying it had cured the problem by removing the servo. In other words, it has simply made the back crakes perform as badly as those at the front.. Brilliant.
Providing you never want to stop, you can buy a Montecarlo these days in the UK ,in good condition for about €6,500. And for that you get a 2 litre twin cam mid engined sports car with if you want it , a canvas folding roof,tweed seats and looks that could melt a girls face. I decided after 10 minutes that I didn't want one at all. I needed one. It was even more pressing than my next breath. I even started offering one owner some money and then when that didn't work, some quiet threats. Look, I whispered,This car will be no good to you if you have lost your legs. And you will sunshine, if you don't sell it to me.
His dignity was saved because,while threatening to burn his house down, I noticed out of the corner of my eye a selection of Fulvias. By modern standards, the Lancia Fulvia is not much to write home about. It has carthorse suspension at the back, a setup thats weirdly complicated at the front and a 1.6 litre V4 engine thta,in the HF develops just 115hp. Fast? Well yes, but only if you are a visiting Victorian or used to driving a Motability shopping scooter.
However ,they are balls achingly pretty and one of the show cars belonged to an old mate . hello John ,I said cheerily but with a hint of Stanislavski menace, Would you like to sell me your car or would you like me to stab you in the throat and get the crowd to cheer as you gout arterial blood everywhere?. because those are your only choices.
Happily,from his point of view, I realised that I was actually leaning on the bonnett of a Delta Integrale at the time. And I decided that  what Ireally  wanted , more than anything in the world,was this ludicrous , left hand drive superstar from the original Sega Rally machine.
Of course people with blazers will explain that Lancias are old rot boxes and fellto pieces long before anyone had a chance to drive them to the shops. But having driven across Botswana in a Beta last year I can assure you this is bunkum.
A classic Lancia will have no more problems than a classic Mercedes. Automotive time is a great leveller."

Neil
Permanent resident

« Reply #1 on: 15 June, 2008, 02:35:31 PM »

Interesting article, which is the centre pages of today's edition of the Sunday Times InGear section, where Clarkson is reviewing a Porsche Boxster RS60 Spyder, which he describes as it felt Italian,  but 75% of the article is about Italian cars and his recent visit to the Auto Italia show a few weeks ago, at least it got a mention!

Neil   

1973 Fulvia S2 1.3
inthedark
« Reply #2 on: 15 June, 2008, 06:34:37 PM »

I DON'T BELIEVE IT Mr J.Clarkson has obviously found GOD or he's lost all his senses, or had a bump on the head
He ACTUALLY placed in Print an opinion of Lancia that doesn't slag them off, I'm going to have to go and lie down in a dark room.

'the colonel'
rogerelias
Rebel Poster

MY 1600HF IN HEARTBEAT GARAGE

« Reply #3 on: 15 June, 2008, 08:09:02 PM »

Now . That deserves a drink Wink Wink

FULVIA 1600HF LUSSO
1958 VELOCETTE MAC
Triumph Bonneville t120v 1972
1968 MGC ROADSTER
1958 Series 2 Appia berlina
fay66
Permanent resident

« Reply #4 on: 15 June, 2008, 11:55:18 PM »

I DON'T BELIEVE IT Mr J.Clarkson has obviously found GOD or he's lost all his senses, or had a bump on the head
He ACTUALLY placed in Print an opinion of Lancia that doesn't slag them off, I'm going to have to go and lie down in a dark room.

'the colonel'

And desired a Monte Carlo after his stunt with the wooden magnet, he's really gone soft in the head or realised what a load of !!!! he's been talking for years  Grin
Brian
8227 Cool

Own 1966 Fulvia 2C Berlina since 1997, back on road 11-1999.Known as "Fay"
2006 Renault Megane 1 5 Dci Sports Tourer
Dedra Technical Adviser
sparehead3
Administrator
Permanent resident

« Reply #5 on: 16 June, 2008, 10:43:30 AM »

Strange too 'cos those are my top 3 Lancia cars that I'd like to own ..... !

Regards,
Steve Pilgrim
Neil
Permanent resident

« Reply #6 on: 16 June, 2008, 03:09:57 PM »

Link to the article on the Times website. We just need Mr J Clarkson to give a glowing report for the new Delta....   

http://driving.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/driving/jeremy_clarkson/article4124872.ece?&EMC-Bltn=ONRG49

Neil   

1973 Fulvia S2 1.3
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd