Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
28 March, 2024, 01:30:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Clutch - required movement  (Read 950 times)
DavidHill

« on: 10 January, 2023, 09:42:00 AM »

On removing the gearbox from the engine to solve the stuck 3rd and 4th gear selection (see thread on Gear Change Issues) i have now got a good view of the back of the clutch (see photo).  when applying the clutch lever by hand i can get very little actual movement on the middle part rearwards (darker grey in the picture)   Its only 3-5mm or so is that within spec??  The clutch is new and was working well before i removed the gearbox.

* clutch1.jpg (2430.01 KB, 3024x4032 - viewed 35 times.)
DavidHill

« Reply #1 on: 10 January, 2023, 10:26:56 AM »

Just read the "Servicing the Aprilia" doc, and it states there is only adjustment at the pedal to give 3/4inch free movement at the pad.  Does that mean that the central darker metal part in the picture should be able to moved by 3/4 inch by hand?
williamcorke
Rebel Poster

B10

« Reply #2 on: 10 January, 2023, 10:44:17 AM »

Hi David,

I don't think that movement at the pedal is equivalent to the movement of the clutch cover plate. There is a lot of 'gearing' in order to make the effort required to operate the clutch acceptable.

The free play at the pedal is the amount that the pedal/linkage is allowed to move before the clutch starts to be disengaged.

'37 Aprilia
'50 B10
'53 B20
'68 Flavia Vignale
'55 Giulietta Sprint
S1 Land Rover
DavidHill

« Reply #3 on: 10 January, 2023, 01:32:30 PM »

Hi William,

quoting the Servicing the Aprilia directly it states : "Single dry plate, ball thrust release. Only adjustment is on pedal to give 3/4inch free movement at the pad"...so i read that as 3/4inch at the clutch pad...but maybe it is at the pedal pad??  In which case my original question is still out there...what should be the movement at the clutch actuation mechanism itself?...
davidwheeler
Permanent resident

« Reply #4 on: 10 January, 2023, 03:14:40 PM »

The answer to your first question is yes.   There is very little play at the clutch end.   The spring is very powerful and you will not move it by hand.    Just enough play to allow free rotation is sufficient.

David Wheeler.  Lambdas, Aprilia, Fulvia Sport.(formerly Appia and Thema as well).
DavidHill

« Reply #5 on: 10 January, 2023, 03:33:11 PM »

Thanks David, that's a relief..at least one item i do not have to replace...!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd