Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
28 March, 2024, 10:48:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Starting during winter lay-up  (Read 5029 times)
Wangler
Megaposter

« on: 12 December, 2021, 01:41:15 PM »

Many members don’t use their cars in the winter, usually for fear of salt and water causing corrosion. I believe in starting the car every couple of weeks to keep things mobile and disperse condensation. Starting a Fulvia after not being used for a while is usually a pain unless you have an electric fuel pump. Yes I know that it helps to circulate the oil, but I hate churning the engine over for what seems like ages.

I attach a photo of my solution, which works very well. You just bend the pipe upright, open the valve and pour some petrol into the funnel to prime the carbs. If you don’t like the look of it for regular use it’s easy enough to replace the set-up with a new piece of 8mm pipe until the winter comes.

The brass Y piece is readily available on eBay and the valve is a good quality one from Mcgillmotorsport (eBay). Don’t be tempted by the cheap brass Y pieces incorporating valves. I tried one initially but it leaked badly, so I binned it.

Apologies if my post states the obvious as a solution.

* BB95175D-E903-4F71-8748-0C63DEE5A55C_1_201_a.jpeg (3049.6 KB, 3009x3621 - viewed 111 times.)

Fulvia Coupe 1976
Fulvia Coupe 3 1975
my69S1

« Reply #1 on: 12 December, 2021, 05:09:52 PM »

Why not just install an electric fuel pump and wire it up to a switch under your dash.  Turn on the pump to prime your carbs and then once started turn off the pump and let your mechanical pump do its job.  My only concern with your set up is that the fuel you are pouring into the carbs has not been filtered, unless you have one in the funnel.  Tiny specs you don't see can easily plug your jets or fuel passages.
Wangler
Megaposter

« Reply #2 on: 12 December, 2021, 05:26:38 PM »

I considered using an electric pump and indeed have suitable one. However it’s a not a quick job to fit, involves drilling holes for its mount (I hate drilling holes in cars unless really necessary) and introduces more associated clutter into the engine compartment. In all a more complicated arrangement which I don’t believe is warranted.

Fair point about filtration, but simply taken care of.

Fulvia Coupe 1976
Fulvia Coupe 3 1975
Richard Fridd
Permanent resident

« Reply #3 on: 12 December, 2021, 05:50:57 PM »

Would a petrol priming bulb work?

Richard Nevison Fridd                                                                      Happy Lancia, Happy Life
Wangler
Megaposter

« Reply #4 on: 12 December, 2021, 06:48:22 PM »

That’s a very good question.  The only reason I can think of for why it might not is if the fuel pump has a valve that would stop the flow, or if the bulb collapsed if too much fuel was sucked through it. Would be good to hear if someone has tried it.

Fulvia Coupe 1976
Fulvia Coupe 3 1975
lancialulu
Press Officer
Permanent resident

« Reply #5 on: 12 December, 2021, 07:48:03 PM »

are these ethanol proof??

Its not the winning but taking part! or is it taking apart?
Lancias:
1955 Aurelia B12
1967 Fulvia 1.3HFR
1972 Fulvia 1600HF
1972 Fulvia Sport 1600
1983 HPE VX
1988 Delta 1.6GTie
1998 Zeta 21.  12v
Wangler
Megaposter

« Reply #6 on: 12 December, 2021, 08:32:28 PM »

Ethanol resistant ones are certainly available They have to be in some states (e.g. California) in the USA due to the high levels of ethanol they use in their petrol. And there’s a lot of outboard engines in California!

Fulvia Coupe 1976
Fulvia Coupe 3 1975
Wangler
Megaposter

« Reply #7 on: 13 December, 2021, 09:51:51 PM »

Having done some digging around I’m pretty sure that a priming bulb as commonly used for outboard engines would work. For a winter fitment I think it would be ideal, although for the summer when the car is used much more, I wouldn’t want it as part of the system as it looks to me to be a potential weak spot.

Fulvia Coupe 1976
Fulvia Coupe 3 1975
fay66
Permanent resident

« Reply #8 on: 14 December, 2021, 09:52:35 AM »

Having done some digging around I’m pretty sure that a priming bulb as commonly used for outboard engines would work. For a winter fitment I think it would be ideal, although for the summer when the car is used much more, I wouldn’t want it as part of the system as it looks to me to be a potential weak spot.
Yes they do work, and a number of friends on the continent use them.
Personally I fitted an electric priming pump although I was given a bulb one, why go crawling around under the bonnet when you don't need to?.
As for using cars in the winter, I've been using my 2c in the winter for the last 22 years.
I just make sure it's a dry day with no wet on the roads, and certainly not if there's fresh salt on the road, while preferably sunny.
It's not only the engine that needs to be worried about, brakes and clutch need a good workout as well.
A 30 mile drive on a lovely dry day with the airflow getting rid of any damp.
What could be nicer?.
Brian
8227 Cool

Own 1966 Fulvia 2C Berlina since 1997, back on road 11-1999.Known as "Fay"
2006 Renault Megane 1 5 Dci Sports Tourer
Dedra Technical Adviser
andyps
Megaposter

« Reply #9 on: 14 December, 2021, 02:55:27 PM »

As for using cars in the winter, I've been using my 2c in the winter for the last 22 years.
I just make sure it's a dry day with no wet on the roads, and certainly not if there's fresh salt on the road, while preferably sunny.
It's not only the engine that needs to be worried about, brakes and clutch need a good workout as well.
What could be nicer?.
Brian
8227 Cool

I agree with this and it is my plan for the winter, although as I want to get my headlamps rechromed it will mean I can't use the car whilst they are being done.

As a related point, what electric fuel pump is anyone using? The one on my car broke so I need a replacement and may as well get a recommended one, the one which was fitted was a generic plastic bodied one fitted to the car when I bought it.
Richard Fridd
Permanent resident

« Reply #10 on: 14 December, 2021, 04:42:19 PM »

Twin cylindrical Facet pumps with pressure regulator in the case of my car. The fitment of a suitable spring within such a pump seems a good idea to limit fuel pressure. Facet cube style pump good for priming and/ or running, which I had on previous cars. Auto cut off pressure switch obviously advisable. Richard
« Last Edit: 14 December, 2021, 04:43:51 PM by Richard Fridd » Logged

Richard Nevison Fridd                                                                      Happy Lancia, Happy Life
nistri
Megaposter

« Reply #11 on: 14 December, 2021, 08:04:52 PM »

Even within the same brand there are different electric pump specifications. One would want a pump which has an upper limit of about 0.3-0.35 bar pressure. Andrea

Andrea Nistri

Ardea S2
Appia S2
Fulvia GTE
Fulvia Sport 1.3 S
Fulvia Montecarlo
Fulvia Coupe 1.3 S
Wangler
Megaposter

« Reply #12 on: 14 December, 2021, 11:52:42 PM »

What could be nicer?.
Brian
8227 Cool

I agree with this and it is my plan for the winter, although as I want to get my headlamps rechromed it will mean I can't use the car whilst they are being done.

As a related point, what electric fuel pump is anyone using? The one on my car broke so I need a replacement and may as well get a recommended one, the one which was fitted was a generic plastic bodied one fitted to the car when I bought it.

Have a look at Hardi pumps, made in Germany. I did fit one (a 14412) but despite the pressure and output specified seemingly being perfectly matched it couldn’t supply enough fuel when really needed. I decided that as the original Lancia fuel pump had been working perfectly I would ditch the idea of an electric one. Historic Racing in Germany sell Hardi pumps and I seem to recall that the one they recommend (which is the next size up from the one I had) doesn’t need a pressure regulator. I’m sure they can advise you.

https://shop.historicracing.de/en/c/fulvia

Fulvia Coupe 1976
Fulvia Coupe 3 1975
fay66
Permanent resident

« Reply #13 on: 15 December, 2021, 12:06:12 PM »

What could be nicer?.
Brian
8227 Cool

I don't know the make as it was fitted by the garage that looks after my 2c , but it is mounted just forward of the fuel tank, it is only used for priming as I have retained the original type fuel pump.
I have a separate switch with a light mounted just under the heater controls, the light in the switch pulses  and you can hear the pump running.
As soon as the pump stops, I turn off the switch, and I can easily start.
Brian
8227 Cool

Own 1966 Fulvia 2C Berlina since 1997, back on road 11-1999.Known as "Fay"
2006 Renault Megane 1 5 Dci Sports Tourer
Dedra Technical Adviser
davidwheeler
Permanent resident

« Reply #14 on: 19 December, 2021, 09:26:44 PM »

I fitted the electric pump and filter/regulator into the boot of my Coupe and my Sport and deleted the mechanical pump.   No problems over several years of use and very reliable.   Done the same with my 2CV though that pump is mounted under the bonnet. 

David Wheeler.  Lambdas, Aprilia, Fulvia Sport.(formerly Appia and Thema as well).
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd